Official Wrasslin' Thread (renamed to reflect the discussion) (16 Viewers)

What the hell? Can't believe they let that happen.

ONLY possible reason to see Vince do this is to give McIntyre has day in the lights at Mania. But this way is just stupid.
I think that's the reasoning, just not a fan of taking this route. I'm guessing either a triple threat between Drew, Miz and Lashley at Mania or they have Lashley win the title from Miz between now and then. Either way, McIntyre/Miz is not a draw, IMO.

I really barely follow WWE at all anymore. I will check in every now and again but aside from Reigns it all just feels so stale. And even with him its obvious there's no real endgame or long term plan in mind. They've got a great character but not a great angle.

NXT no longer really interests me. Ot once felt new and exciting bit...eh. AEW I check out but I feel like it's settled into what it is now and have kind of lost the excitement.

I don't know. I'm just not super into wrestling at the moment.

It's funny to hear that things are stale "aside from Roman Reigns", considering how people felt about him not long ago. Reminds me of 2011 when I had to tell a buddy of mine (who had already pretty well checked out of pro wrestling some years prior) "I'm not kidding one bit when I say this, Mark Henry has gotten very entertaining". I had never once previously found him entertaining......not in Nation of Domination, not when he impregnated Mae Young.....etc. But damn if he didn't catch fire seemingly out of nowhere in Summer of 2011.

I've checked out AEW a few times since I found out Sting was there. Haven't really seen anything that has just absolutely hooked me, but if I'm home between 7:00 and 9:00 PM on a Wednesday and think about it, I will put it on. I have noticed that I'm no more into Jon Moxley than I was when he was Dean Ambrose, even though supposedly Vince was holding him back with silly storylines or whatever. Maybe it wasn't just Vince...

I have noticed that I'm no more into Jon Moxley than I was when he was Dean Ambrose, even though supposedly Vince was holding him back with silly storylines or whatever. Maybe it wasn't just Vince...

Whether someone is into AEW or not, I really struggle with this take (of course everyone is welcome to their opinion).

To me, Moxley is a way better character than Ambrose ever was and every promo he has cut as Moxley has been pure gold. In about a year and a half, he has won dozens of awards from various magazines and websites, and is also a main reason why the "forbidden door" seems to be open now. He seems to be one of the most popular wrestlers in the world right now.

Whatever one's opinions are about WWE and AEW, I think it is clear that Vince absolutely held Ambrose/Moxley back. Heck, Moxley has been pretty open about some of the horrible/offensive ideas he had to fight against during his final year in the company.

Whether someone is into AEW or not, I really struggle with this take (of course everyone is welcome to their opinion).

To me, Moxley is a way better character than Ambrose ever was and every promo he has cut as Moxley has been pure gold. In about a year and a half, he has won dozens of awards from various magazines and websites, and is also a main reason why the "forbidden door" seems to be open now. He seems to be one of the most popular wrestlers in the world right now.

Whatever one's opinions are about WWE and AEW, I think it is clear that Vince absolutely held Ambrose/Moxley back. Heck, Moxley has been pretty open about some of the horrible/offensive ideas he had to fight against during his final year in the company.

I'm not doubting that he probably did have to fight against some horrible ideas (same company that initially suggested to Steve Austin that he be Chilly McFreeze......somebody in there had to be thinking of marketing opportunities with McDonald's).

But what I am saying is, based on the admittedly-limited body of work I've seen, I'm not seeing an exponential character difference in Jon Moxley. It's like he's trying way too hard to be both the coolest kid in school as well as a ticking time bomb, which is essentially the vibe I got from Dean Ambrose.

Obviously you've seen more of his work in AEW, so I'm not going to dispute what you have seen with you. Maybe I just happened to catch him during a "meh" period recently, which even some of the best in the business go through.

Hopefully they try and build Miz back up to being that heel who just kills on the mic. There's no need for him to go back with Morrison. Though I wouldn't be a shock if last night was just a swerve and somehow its Lashley Vs McIntyre for the belt at WM.

Hopefully they try and build Miz back up to being that heel who just kills on the mic. There's no need for him to go back with Morrison. Though I wouldn't be a shock if last night was just a swerve and somehow its Lashley Vs McIntyre for the belt at WM.
Yeah. Like I posted last night, the only reason I see Vince doing this is because he wants to give McIntyre his day in the sun in front of fans. Anything other than that it's simply a waste.

But what I am saying is, based on the admittedly-limited body of work I've seen, I'm not seeing an exponential character difference in Jon Moxley. It's like he's trying way too hard to be both the coolest kid in school as well as a ticking time bomb, which is essentially the vibe I got from Dean Ambrose.

Obviously you've seen more of his work in AEW, so I'm not going to dispute what you have seen with you. Maybe I just happened to catch him during a "meh" period recently, which even some of the best in the business go through.

Fair enough. Like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

But I would still push back on the way you are characterizing the Ambrose and Moxley characters. While they certainly have some things in common (it is the same guy, after all), they are hardly the same. If “Dean Ambrose” had creative freedom with his promos and character direction, then yes, he would most likely (essentially) be Jon Moxley.

But that’s the point, he didn’t have that freedom, so they are very different characters.

Dean Ambrose was wearing gas masks because “the fans smell bad”, getting inoculations in his bare butt (on camera) for the same reason, and mocking co-workers/friends because they have Leukemia.

Whereas New Japan and AEW Moxley is the perfect babyface badass (he is especially a babyface in AEW) and even his worst promo in the past couple of years is better than his best Dean Ambrose promo.

Fair enough. Like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

But I would still push back on the way you are characterizing the Ambrose and Moxley characters. While they certainly have some things in common (it is the same guy, after all), they are hardly the same. If “Dean Ambrose” had creative freedom with his promos and character direction, then yes, he would most likely (essentially) be Jon Moxley.

But that’s the point, he didn’t have that freedom, so they are very different characters.

Dean Ambrose was wearing gas masks because “the fans smell bad”, getting inoculations in his bare butt (on camera) for the same reason, and mocking co-workers/friends because they have Leukemia.

Whereas New Japan and AEW Moxley is the perfect babyface badass (he is especially a babyface in AEW) and even his worst promo in the past couple of years is better than his best Dean Ambrose promo.

So, probably the last time I paid any attention to Dean Ambrose, he was getting thrown around like a rag doll by Lesnar in their feud. So, doing the math on that, would that have been 2017? 2018?

Everything you're describing does sound awful......and I'm assuming that was part of an ill-fated heel turn that must have occurred sometime later.

Whoa!

EvAO5T_WYAcH6Cl-678x381.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom