Official Wrasslin' Thread (renamed to reflect the discussion) (11 Viewers)

Different era where TV existed only to sell tickets to live events and the champ was rarely on, anyway. You only got to see Bruno a handful of times a year (if that).

Even through the Hogan era the champ wasn't wrestling on TV every week. Maybe you'd get a promo or something to sell tickets or ppvs but that was it.

Those kind of insanely long reigns won't ever happen again. They'd kill interest in this day and age.
Even Flair didn’t wrestle all that often on TV during that time period. All I remember are his promos being on tv

Even Flair didn’t wrestle all that often on TV during that time period. All I remember are his promos being on tv
Yeah, the champion was a major attraction and they took a less is more approach. On top of that, TV was secondary to live gate and was mostly job matches and midcard guys, then maybe a promo from the champ to sell the next big live show or PPV once those came along in the 80s.

Raw saw a 17.3% drop in their 18-49 demographic rating this week -- from 0.52 down to 0.43 (their lowest since July 5th). I'm going to have a field day with it when Meltzer credits that to AEW and not to Raw's being up against the season debut of MNF.

Raw saw a 17.3% drop in their 18-49 demographic rating this week -- from 0.52 down to 0.43 (their lowest since July 5th). I'm going to have a field day with it when Meltzer credits that to AEW and not to Raw's being up against the season debut of MNF.
He's not going to. He's already credited it to football. But the hotshotting was in response to AEW, hoping to draw eyes back to the product knowing it was going up against football. This isn't hard to figure out, honestly.

I mean, he won't do that. He's always talking about how MNF impacts Raw's ratings.

Nice strawman. Of course he is wrong sometimes, just not in this case. You'd have to believe they just realized MNF was happening and completely scrapped their plans to compete with the game. I mean, is that what you're saying about them?
You obviously haven't watched a lot of Raw if you haven't noticed they've done it many times already.

I'll add this: Meltzer has long been a divisive figure and certainly has many shortcomings, but the weird fantasy version of him that exists in some people's heads has very little basis in reality.

He's not going to. He's already credited it to football. But the hotshotting was in response to AEW, hoping to draw eyes back to the product knowing it was going up against football. This isn't hard to figure out, honestly.

They didn't hot-shot the title to Big E in response to AEW. The original plan was for Big E to have won the title before last night as he was set to win it on the originally slated date of the draft at the end of August. They moved up the Orton vs. Lashley match to build a stronger card to compete against MNF...and they still saw a 17.3% drop in their 18-49 rating.

I mean, he won't do that. He's always talking about how MNF impacts Raw's ratings.
You kind of missed the sarcastic jab nature of my post there.

They didn't hot-shot the title to Big E in response to AEW. The original plan was for Big E to have won the title before last night as he was set to win it on the originally slated date of the draft at the end of August. They moved up the Orton vs. Lashley match to build a stronger card to compete against MNF...and they still saw a 17.3% drop in their 18-49 rating.

You kind of missed the sarcastic jab nature of my post there.
Then why was last week's show setting up a tag match for Monday?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom