N/S Officiating blog has Super Bowl referee assignment down to 3 possible officials... and guess who's among them (1 Viewer)

RT3

SR is my life!
Reaction score
that's right... ole Billy Vinovich

(yes I know THAT play wasn't his call... but I know the anger is still directed at him b/c he was wearing the white hat)

Was there ever any doubt, really?

I've actually gone and looked at the blog (didn't really care much about NFL stuff since the Saints lost)... and like a week ago the writers there posted a story where they say they feel confident about who this year's Super Bowl referee will be... and it's NOT Vinovich

Every year, we try to sift through the tea leaves and narrow down the likely candidates for the Super Bowl. Given a combination of factors in previous years, once we were correct in December, other times we were a little guarded in the second week of the playoffs, and last year we were flat out wrong.

This time, entering the divisional playoff round, we have a high degree of certainty we know the referee for Super Bowl LIV on Feb. 2: Clete Blakeman.

and if it ends up being the Packers winning on Sunday... you can't be too happy if that's the case and you're either a Titans or Chiefs fan

Casual fans may remember that Blakeman was the referee for the Lions-Packers game on Monday night in Week 6 in which two fouls were called for illegal hands to the face, when there clearly was no foul. Those were not Blakeman’s flags — they came from the umpire — so they are not downgrades on his record.

Blakeman was also the white hat of this past Sunday's Seahawks/Packers Divisional Round game

I wish for the playoffs and beyond they would just pick the crew that had the least errors. The crew that obviously work together the best. This picking all-star crews of guys who don't normally work together is crap.

After the crew we had vs Minny it don’t matter too much who it is as long as they take direct orders from Al Riveron. That’s been the center piece of officiating problems since he took the booth.

The state of NFL officiating is obviously poor if this conversation needs to happen.

I can see it being Vinovich, mainly because he's a good yes man.

Yeah, it's crazy. I've been a huge sports fan my entire life. I always found a stark comparison between the NBA where you knew the names of most of the top refs, because they're so influential on the outcome, and the NFL, where you had no idea what their names were. Maybe you knew some faces.

In the last maybe 5-6 years, it seems that the NFL fanbase as a whole is far more familiar with the names of the referees than before. Which means they've become more influential on the outcomes of games.

But we already knew that..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom