Officiating: XFL vs NFL (1 Viewer)

Slaw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know I'm probably beating a dead horse by bringing up anything related to officiating. But I don't understand why this isn't being talked about. How can the XFL, a league that just started, have obviously better officiating than the NFL's "best in the world". The XFL is showing that it isn't difficult to get the calls right. This only further's my suspicion that there is something fishy about all the blown calls throughout the NFL.

The NFL has been my favorite sports league for as long as I can remember. But with the "bad officiating" of the NFL, the ridiculous amount of cheatery in the MLB, and questionable judging in both MMA and boxing, I think the NBA has become my favorite (Zion and the gang obviously plays a part).

I know a former NBA ref wrote a book about cheating, but if I'm not mistaken, that was more about covering gambling spreads than determining outcomes of big games. The NBA is a huge step ahead of the NFL when it comes to the treatment of it's players. I guess I just have a little faith left in the NBA, and I don't know if I can say the same about most other sports.

Last edited:
I haven't watched enough XFL to really notice big trends. Both games were well officiated though and it's pretty rare to get that in the NFL, still a small sample size. Already watched more more minutes of XFL than I have non-Saints NFL games this season.

I haven't watched enough XFL to really notice big trends. Both games were well officiated though and it's pretty rare to get that in the NFL, still a small sample size. Already watched more more minutes of XFL than I have non-Saints NFL games this season.
I haven't noticed any inconsistencies. It's rare that I watch an NFL game without seeing almost the exact same play called two different ways.

XFL officiating and transparency has been good aside from the total blunder at the end of the Battlehawks game last week. Still confused as to why the sky ref did not call down to enforce an obvious offsides penalty, which the STL QB assumed a flag would be thrown for - and as a result chucked it up with no regard for a pick. Changed the game.

Transparency is the key word. Not only that, but the XFL is doing everything it can to just get it right - and show the fans the homework.
And the NFL gives us the opposite of transparency. I still don't really know if the head official has someone in his ear, and if so, to what extent they "assist". This should be common knowledge for all fans. But instead, it's all top secret...

I have watched all of the XFL games, and the thing the sticks out the most is the level of competency in regards to the Refs.
Night and Day to the NFL.
Makes watching more enjoyable that a team isn’t getting jobbed.

I have watched all of the XFL games, and the thing the sticks out the most is the level of competency in regards to the Refs.
Night and Day to the NFL.
Makes watching more enjoyable that a team isn’t getting jobbed.
I haven't watched every game, but I agree, it is definitely the thing that sticks out the most for me. I don't understand why it's not a major talking point for media/fans.

Officiating, as with everything else in the XFL, truly seems to be about “love of the game”. I’ve bought into it. The NFL, conversely, only cares about “protecting the shield.”

Big difference.

Officiating, as with everything else in the XFL, truly seems to be about “love of the game”. I’ve bought into it. The NFL, conversely, only cares about “protecting the shield.”

Big difference.
And we haven't even mentioned the ability to review PI being abused by Al Riveron (or whoever is telling him what to do). There was no rhyme or reason to what was/wasn't overturned.

I have not watched a single game, only a couple highlights on youtube... I wonder if this is a matter of perception, combined with a slower, less complicated game.

The perception part, would be a combination of fans not being as invested in XFL teams as they are NFL teams, and therefore viewing NFL calls with a higher level of scrutiny; and the attempt of the XFL of being as transparent as possible in the call review process.

The slower, less complicated game is easier to officiate.

I am not defending the NFL, and it is commendable that the XFL is trying to be as transparent as possible in the call review process, from both the game and marketing perspectives.

I have not watched a single game, only a couple highlights on youtube... I wonder if this is a matter of perception, combined with a slower, less complicated game.

The perception part, would be a combination of fans not being as invested in XFL teams as they are NFL teams, and therefore viewing NFL calls with a higher level of scrutiny; and the attempt of the XFL of being as transparent as possible in the call review process.

The slower, less complicated game is easier to officiate.

I am not defending the NFL, and it is commendable that the XFL is trying to be as transparent as possible in the call review process, from both the game and marketing perspectives.
You have a point, and those could be contributing factors. But I feel confident saying the officiating has definitely been better in the XFL. It's not just perception. And that is inexcusable. A brand new league should not be outperforming the NFL in such an important department. I would bet everything I own that on just the plays that are black and white, the XFL is killing the NFL. It's one thing to miss a bang-bang play. But when a play is reviewed, there is no excuse for getting the call wrong.

A brand new league should not be outperforming the NFL in such an important department.

There is no wondering that :hihi:

Personally, I think that they trying to be as transparent as possible counts for a lot, even if one thinks they still didn't get right one call here and there, but at least they tried and showed they tried and how.

And that's good for the game and the marketing of the game, as people will get invested when they feel they are watching a fairly officiated contest, especially with the very shady officiating in the NFL.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom