Officiating (1 Viewer)

EagleSaint

Very Banned
Reaction score
So, lately i've been really bugged by NFL(and NCAA) officials. The lack of consistency, the absolute mind boggling decisions to not call blatant fouls, the disregard to fairness.

So, first I'd like my facts checked, because i'm not too sure about this, i'm going on minimal information to say this, but my research has been fruitless:

The Networks Control the broadcasting cameras.

So, you're telling me, the only views the NFL and it's officials can get are the one's the networks give them??? That's wonderful.

Next thing, is Officials' immunity.
So.. Players, Coaches, and even team staff, everyone on the field that belongs to the NFL is held accountable, but officials aren't. No matter how bad of a call, or how many they miss, they are immune.

Now, yes Humans make mistakes, a player spikes the ball out of emotion and he fined, an official makes a horrible call that decides a game, and guess what, life goes on as is, and there isn't anything that happens to the official. That's injustice.

And finally the Rulebook. Lord help. This thing is about as complicated as a teenage highschool girlfriend. There's a huge disparity on how officials judge the game on how physical it should be. A good covered pass that involves some hands and grabbing, may be legal to one official and a foul to another. That's not good.

There's just so much wrong with NFL(and NCAA) officiating. I doubt it will change under Everyone Hates Roger, but such is life.

So, lately i've been really bugged by NFL(and NCAA) officials. The lack of consistency, the absolute mind boggling decisions to not call blatant fouls, the disregard to fairness.

So, first I'd like my facts checked, because i'm not too sure about this, i'm going on minimal information to say this, but my research has been fruitless:

The Networks Control the broadcasting cameras.

So, you're telling me, the only views the NFL and it's officials can get are the one's the networks give them??? That's wonderful.

So.. Players, Coaches, and even team staff, everyone on the field that belongs to the NFL is held accountable, but officials aren't. No matter how bad of a call, or how many they miss, they are immune.

Now, yes Humans make mistakes, a player spikes the ball out of emotion and he fined, an official makes a horrible call that decides a game, and guess what, life goes on as is, and there isn't anything that happens to the official. That's injustice.

And finally the Rulebook. Lord help. This thing is about as complicated as a teenage highschool girlfriend. There's a huge disparity on how officials judge the game on how physical it should be. A good covered pass that involves some hands and grabbing, may be legal to one official and a foul to another. That's not good.

There's just so much wrong with NFL(and NCAA) officiating. I doubt it will change under Everyone Hates Roger, but such is life.

Even though College refs make mistakes, it's honestly easier to watch. At least they know the rules or can make a decision without having to huddle up for 15 minutes. Then we've got ole' Roger over there talking about reducing game time......um make sure these losers know what the game of football is first maybe?

Don't forget you're not even allowed to talk about the officiating without being punished by the NFL.

I still wonder what might have been w/o that bogus pass interference call against Breaux on an incomplete pass on 3rd & 4 late in the 2nd qtr

down 10-3 (after just scoring our 1st FG)... and Brees w/ time to work the 2+ minute drill after what would've been an ensuing punt

momentum was slowly swinging the Saints way at that moment... and that penalty singlehandedly killed the shift

Do you really think the NFL has much incentive to improve it?

"There's no such thing as bad publicity".

The NFL wants us to CARE about these games. They want emotion. The more people are talking about it, fussing about it - the more they like it.

This is not the case, the officials get graded and they don't make the playoffs and or bowl games if they don't have a high enough grade. They also don't get retained for the next season and they even get suspended for games. Now, none of this applies for judgement calls where different officials look at a PI or a late hit and can reasonably have a different opinion. 2 people can look at a late hit out of bounds that is not blatant, one would say I'm calling that and another would say that would be ticky-tack so I'm passing, ie first step out of bounds where the defender would have a reasonable incliniation that the runner could turn back in. But they are punished for errors of rule application ie extending a period for a penalty in the wrong situation, marking off the wrong yards on a penalty, etc. if you punish for judgement calls, NO ONE would do it.

More and more I'm coming to believe that the league has an agenda when the season starts. A list of story-lines they want to sell. A few teams that should have an up year or a down year. Of course, there's no way you could keep that many players and coaches quiet if they were to clue everyone in about their roles. But refs can pretty much pull it off with making a high octane offense start 1st and 20 often enough by calling offensive holding. Give the other offense 1st downs after 3rd down didn't work out for them simply by calling defensive holding or pass interference. Throw in a blind-eye replay here and there and voila! The team you want to win, wins. Or you keep the score close until the end of the game, which seems to be happening a lot more often than it used to. Several Saints games went exactly like this, but I've watched a lot more games than just my team. Cowboys vs Vikings was one of the obvious ones. Can't have the 2016 darlings (Dallas and Oakland), losing games they should've won if they're going to be able to build up the post season.

Fear not though... There's still a chance that we get to be one of the big story lines when Brees decides to hang up his cleats. Hopefully it won't happen in the same season as Brady decides to retire. That would be a disaster for us. Just saying.

The officials are doing what they are told. You cant tell me these guys/gals are that incompetent. Im not buying it. They are directed by the league and even the booth gets it wrong. That means the league directs them to make bad calls. Not every official knows whats going on because the integrity is at stake lol. But when they huddle up its because they are waiting on instruction from the league to decide the call on the field.

If this wasnt true officials would get fired and they dont. Playoff games and SB officiating is not some trophy they are awarded. They get paid regardless and mistakes dont have consequences. They are untouchable because the NFL wants their horrible decision to stand.

The officials are doing what they are told. You cant tell me these guys/gals are that incompetent. Im not buying it. They are directed by the league and even the booth gets it wrong. That means the league directs them to make bad calls. Not every official knows whats going on because the integrity is at stake lol. But when they huddle up its because they are waiting on instruction from the league to decide the call on the field.

If this wasnt true officials would get fired and they dont. Playoff games and SB officiating is not some trophy they are awarded. They get paid regardless and mistakes dont have consequences. They are untouchable because the NFL wants their horrible decision to stand.

I agree. I think some are dirty like the NBA ref was.

More and more I'm coming to believe that the league has an agenda when the season starts. A list of story-lines they want to sell. A few teams that should have an up year or a down year. Of course, there's no way you could keep that many players and coaches quiet if they were to clue everyone in about their roles. But refs can pretty much pull it off with making a high octane offense start 1st and 20 often enough by calling offensive holding. Give the other offense 1st downs after 3rd down didn't work out for them simply by calling defensive holding or pass interference. Throw in a blind-eye replay here and there and voila! The team you want to win, wins. Or you keep the score close until the end of the game, which seems to be happening a lot more often than it used to. Several Saints games went exactly like this, but I've watched a lot more games than just my team. Cowboys vs Vikings was one of the obvious ones. Can't have the 2016 darlings (Dallas and Oakland), losing games they should've won if they're going to be able to build up the post season.

Fear not though... There's still a chance that we get to be one of the big story lines when Brees decides to hang up his cleats. Hopefully it won't happen in the same season as Brady decides to retire. That would be a disaster for us. Just saying.

I agree completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More and more I'm coming to believe that the league has an agenda when the season starts. A list of story-lines they want to sell. A few teams that should have an up year or a down year. Of course, there's no way you could keep that many players and coaches quiet if they were to clue everyone in about their roles.

Coaches, like refs, work under the NFL. They could keep quiet no problem just like officials. Keeps the paycheck rolling in. Players would be harder to keep quiet but if you built it into the contract where some of them already know, its not hard. Blackmail, gambling, drugs, etc and you can get certain players to do anything you want. Its not difficult and its done eery week.

Who would know if a QB throws an INT on purpose, or a RB fumbles on purpose, or a defensive player misses a tackle on purpose or misses an INT on purpose etc? NOBODY. Easily done. All paid before hand.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom