Officiating (1 Viewer)

FlySaint

Carving up the skies!!!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

“But on a rainy night in Jacksonville, flags reigned. It prompted Tom Brady, or someone with access to Tom Brady’s official Twitter account to tweet, “I’m turning off this game I can’t watch these ridiculous penalties anymore.”

“Officials called 179 holding penalties in the first two weeks this season, according to the Fox broadcast, which was 70 more than at this point last season.”

Officiating continues to be horrendous and is hugely and negatively impacting the product on the field. But what’s it going to take to get the league to fix it? Announcers on nationally televised games are noticing and commenting...much more negativity than usual. And now Brady as well. When does the media reach a tipping point and force a reaction out of the league?

My goodness was it bad. Terrible calls.

I don’t get it. Why called holding when there’s no holding?!

“But on a rainy night in Jacksonville, flags reigned. It prompted Tom Brady, or someone with access to Tom Brady’s official Twitter account to tweet, “I’m turning off this game I can’t watch these ridiculous penalties anymore.”

“Officials called 179 holding penalties in the first two weeks this season, according to the Fox broadcast, which was 70 more than at this point last season.”

Officiating continues to be horrendous and is hugely and negatively impacting the product on the field. But what’s it going to take to get the league to fix it? Announcers on nationally televised games are noticing and commenting...much more negativity than usual. And now Brady as well. When does the media reach a tipping point and force a reaction out of the league?
All good questions.

The answer is...

...when you stop watching, clicking and spending and not before.

Otherwise you will get platitudes and verbal reassurances. And nothing else. Except a penalty if you keep complaining.

Officiating continues to be horrendous and is hugely and negatively impacting the product on the field. But what’s it going to take to get the league to fix it? Announcers on nationally televised games are noticing and commenting...much more negativity than usual. And now Brady as well. When does the media reach a tipping point and forcce a reaction out of the league?

I think Tom's problem is just with the all the O Line holding calls. It's a threat to him. Lol Remember when the Saints played the Patriots and they seemed to illegally hold our D Line every play? I don't believe Tom Brady was offended tonight with the roughing the passer call when Gardner Minshew was hit - which wasn't roughing at all.

Apparently NFL coaches #1 complaint was that not enough holding calls were made last year. So this is the NFL's response. The players will either adjust their play and the coaches will be satisfied or the refs will go back to letting a lot of the holding penalties slide.

The bigger issue for me is that the issue of last year was the refs incompetence in NOT making the call. So now the NFL responds with making a bunch to ticky-tack holding calls. The refs are so worried about holding that they are now missing the bigger calls. IMO the NFL wants us all throw up out hands in frustration and say "just let them play" and "stop throwing so many flags" - which means the officials' incompetence will remain and the no call in the NFCCG will be looked back on as a cause for the current overreaction. The NFL wants the public to get to a state of frustration until they look back at that bad call against the Saints and say "see thats just part of the game - let them play!"

The real solution was to get full time professional referees. Instead, the NFL will manipulate public perception to preserve the status quo. Look where we are 3rd week of the new season. As Saints fans we think everyone is getting on board that the official are bad and need to get fixed. Instead, I'm afraid the NFL propaganda narritive now will turn to "this is all out of control" and was "an overreaction caused by one missed call that's just part of the game - let 'em play. " But that just my opinion.

I think Tom's problem is just with the all the O Line holding calls. It's a threat to him. Lol Remember when the Saints played the Patriots and they seemed to illegally hold our D Line every play? I don't believe Tom Brady was offended tonight with the roughing the passer call when Gardner Minshew was hit - which wasn't roughing at all.

Apparently NFL coaches #1 complaint was that not enough holding calls were made last year. So this is the NFL's response. The players will either adjust their play and the coaches will be satisfied or the refs will go back to letting a lot of the holding penalties slide.

The bigger issue for me is that the issue of last year was the refs incompetence in NOT making the call. So now the NFL responds with making a bunch to ticky-tack holding calls. The refs are so worried about holding that they are now missing the bigger calls. IMO the NFL wants us all throw up out hands in frustration and say "just let them play" and "stop throwing so many flags" - which means the officials' incompetence will remain and the no call in the NFCCG will be looked back on as a cause for the current overreaction. The NFL wants the public to get to a state of frustration until they look back at that bad call against the Saints and say "see thats just part of the game - let them play!"

The real solution was to get full time professional referees. Instead, the NFL will manipulate public perception to preserve the status quo. Look where we are 3rd week of the new season. As Saints fans we think everyone is getting on board that the official are bad and need to get fixed. Instead, I'm afraid the NFL propaganda narritive now will turn to "this is all out of control" and was "an overreaction caused by one missed call that's just part of the game - let 'em play. " But that just my opinion.
I remember that game too.

Was typical. They did hold at will.

And Drew drove for a late score to take the lead with a minute left. Then on a 3rd and long Brady hit a TD but Junior Galette was essentially tackled as he rushed Brady. Plain as day. No call.

Pats win.

Infuriating.

I remember that game too.

Was typical. They did hold at will.

And Drew drove for a late score to take the lead with a minute left. Then on a 3rd and long Brady hit a TD but Junior Galette was essentially tackled as he rushed Brady. Plain as day. No call.

Pats win.

Infuriating.

Man... that play still makes me so angry.... and a myriad of others. The league should be absolutely embarrassed of their officiating crews, especially considering the amount of revenue they rake in every year. How can they not even put together even a semblance of competence in their officials... absolutely disgraceful.

The NFL product is absolutely terrible. I don’t feel it’s authentic anymore. Like most of you folks, I’m just here for the saints. If it wasn’t for our team I wouldn’t even have a football conversation as I don’t really give a hoot about any game without a saints uniform on the field.

I was a fan who enjoyed some of the overpriced junk they merchandise... I use to look for some hats or shirts here and there... I haven’t even thought about any of that Mumbo jumbo since our title game last year. Nor do I want to again.

This league can absolutely stick it.

I love our saints. But I could care less about this crooked clown house called the NFL. It’s all for someone’s entertainment out there. Someone must be getting off on all of the things going on these days...

The NFL product is absolutely terrible. I don’t feel it’s authentic anymore. Like most of you folks, I’m just here for the saints. If it wasn’t for our team I wouldn’t even have a football conversation as I don’t really give a hoot about any game without a saints uniform on the field.

I was a fan who enjoyed some of the overpriced junk they merchandise... I use to look for some hats or shirts here and there... I haven’t even thought about any of that Mumbo jumbo since our title game last year. Nor do I want to again.

This league can absolutely stick it.

I love our saints. But I could care less about this crooked clown house called the NFL. It’s all for someone’s entertainment out there. Someone must be getting off on all of the things going on these days...

Gambling is the backbone of professional sports. Always will be. As long as there’s gambling there will always be huge audiences no matter who’s kneeling, who’s making bad calls, etc.

So anybody got a convincing theory on why Roger Goodell wanted Jacksonville to win this one? I’m trying to get a better sense of how he makes out his winners card each week.

Or is officiating just awful and becoming too intrusive?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom