Offseason Dreams (by iwitnesskr) (1 Viewer)

iwitnesskr

Black and Gold toThe Bone
Reaction score
Free Agency: As the clock strikes midnight on March 1, ESPN’s Ticker states

The New Orleans Saints Sign LB, Lance Briggs to a 5-year, 58 Million Dollar deal, 18 Million guaranteed.

Analysis: Though many would want to go after Samuel, Briggs will come at a much cheaper price, and as before mentioned, you have to build your D one level at a time. We already have two stars on the D-line, Briggs comes to New Olreans and brings instant credibility to the Saints LB core.

Off Season Trade: RB, Deuce McAllister to Detroit for DT, Shaun Rodgers. Deuce would be a perfect fit in Detroit and Rodgers would be a massive force in the middle for the Saints.

We need a presence in the middle, and Detroit cant afford to keep Rogers. He’s young, and most importantly, a massive, athletic, defensive tackle. Detroit always struggles with their sub par ground game, an Duece would head to the motor city to help reestablish the the run, and provide veteran leadership for a team with high hopes..

Round 1, the New Orleans Saints select Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State.

If Cromartie shows well at the combine, he will certainly push himself into the top half of the draft. Barring the slide of Dorsey or Ellis, the Saints select a guy with the skill set, and natural ability to become a shut down corner in the NFL.

Round 2, the New Orleans Saints select Ali Highsmith, LB, Louisiana state University.
A super athletic LB with enough range to cover the entire field, and plays with aggression.

Round 3, Draft Day Trade: The New Orleans Saints trade their selection to the New York Giants to acquire TE, Jeremy Shockey. Sorry, but Eric Johnson was a bust (he single handedly cost us the Texans game). Payton already has the inside track to Shockey due to his days as the giants OC.

Round 4: The New Orleans Saints select Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame. Productive DT, who showed great quickness and hustle during the Senior Bowl.

Round 5: The New Orleans Saints select J Leman, LB, Illinois. Extremely Productive LB who only falls b/c he doesn’t have great timed speed. Think Zack Thomas.

Round 6: The New Orleans Saints select Sam Keller, QB, Nebraska. Storng armed, physical QB who would be a great understudy to Drew Brees.

Round 7: The New Orleans Saints select Simeon Castille, CB, Alabama.
Payton takes a chance on a talented CB, who has had some off the field issues, which is a gigantic red flag in this day and age in the NFL.

In review:

Briggs moves to the middle, giving us Highsmith, Briggs and Fujita at LB.

Cromartie starts opposite David until Mckenzie is back to full strength.

Rodgers, Laws and Thomas form a great rotation at the DT position.

Shockey takes the offense to an entirely different level.

If you hadn't had Deuce being traded, then this would have been my dream offseason. Briggs, Cromartie, Ali, Trevor Laws, J Leman would be unreal.
Laws suits us better than Rodgers IMO. He is an animal.

If you hadn't had Deuce being traded, then this would have been my dream offseason. Briggs, Cromartie, Ali, Trevor Laws, J Leman would be unreal.
Laws suits us better than Rodgers IMO. He is an animal.

Dont get me wrong, I love Deuce, but I know his days are numbered, and as sad as it is true, loyalty gets you nowhere in football. Every year, 7 rounds of hungry young athletes are comimg to take your spot, and if we could get a young guy like Rogers from Detroit, it would help us more in the long term than Deuce could, especially with the injuries. Rodgers would easily slide into Hollis Thomas' role, as the gap filling DT, just about 7 years younger.

Now if Deuce hadn't tore his second ACL, this would be about the most idioitc trade proposal in the history of sports!! LOL

Last edited:
So we go into the season with Reggie, Pierre and Stecker at RB? I'd like to see this unit get at least 1 pounder in there.

So we go into the season with Reggie, Pierre and Stecker at RB? I'd like to see this unit get at least 1 pounder in there.

Call me an optimist, but I think Pierre has all the tools to be an everydown back, His build is compact, and he's a great inside runner with great balance.

Call me crazy, but I believe Pierre will shock the world next season. The kid can flat out run the football.

Rob----I'm not sure about the roster bonus, but the trade was put in because I know we need a DT.

Remeber, I'm only dreamin. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Call me an optimist, but I think Pierre has all the tools to be an everydown back, His build is compact, and he's a great inside runner with great balance.

Call me crazy, but I believe Pierre will shock the world next season. The kid can flat out run the football.

Exactly, you don't have to weigh 220+ to be considered a pounder and PT proved that last year.

I'd be satisfied with the offense if we picked up Jeremy and someone to compete in the back field. I'd really enjoy seeing how that defense looked. I could get excited about that kinda player movement for the up coming season.

I've rewatched the Bears game several times just to watch him run.
Thomas looked like a stud.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/biYgpZWU-vQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/biYgpZWU-vQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

WOW MAN if this happened i would start doin flips i mean our d line and linebackers would be AMAZING I MEAN ABSOLUTELY AMAZING A++++++++

Exactly, you don't have to weigh 220+ to be considered a pounder and PT proved that last year.

Agreed, but just point out Pierre Thomas is 5' 11" 210 lb which isn't lightweight by NFL RB standards. Deuce has played anywhere from 230 to 2?? (under Haslett). I'm not crazy about the idea of trading Deuce (I also doubt he has much if any trade value coming off multiple knee surgeries). So if the choices are cutting or keeping Deuce, I'd keep him and see what he has left come TC. But hopefully P. Thomas gets a much bigger role in the Offense after Chicago.......

I hate it. What I've seen has Highsmith as a reach in the early 2nd. I would rather have a vet CB via FA and get a yound stud LB (Connor, Rivers, Mayo, Lofton) during the draft, as they are more likely to produce immediately.

good job, but imo there are several OLBs much better than highsmith that we could take in the 2nd

I've rewatched the Bears game several times just to watch him run.
Thomas looked like a stud.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/biYgpZWU-vQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/biYgpZWU-vQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Yeah. I guess he'll always have to battle the perception that he can't be the real deal because he was an UDFA. But all he has done is produce every time he was given a chance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom