Offseason outlook and predictions (1 Viewer)

nextyear

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
1st round mock
Kansas City-Geno Smith QB West Virginia
Jacksonville-Bjoern Werner DE Florida St
Oakland-Star Lotulelei DT Utah
Philadelphia-Luke Jockel OT Texas A&M
Detroit-Dion Jordan LB Oregon
Cleveland-Damontre Moore DE Texas A&M
Arizona-Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan
Buffalo-Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia
New York Jets-Barkeivous Mingo LB LSU
Tennessee- DeMarcus Milliner CB Alabama
San Diego-Keenan Allen WR California
Miami-Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
Tampa Bay-Ezekiel Ansah DE/OLB BYU
Carolina- Kenny Vaccaro S Texas
Miami-TRADE-Cordarrelle Paterson WR Tennessee
St. Louis-Chance Warmack OG Alabama
Pittsburgh- Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
Dallas-Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
Baltimore-TRADE w/ New York Giants-Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
Chicago-D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
Cincinnati-Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
St. Louis - from Washington-Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
Minnesota- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
Indianapolis-Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina
Seattle-TRADE w/ Buffalo (2nd & 2014 1st) Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse
Green Bay-Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
Houston- Johnathan Hankins, NT, Ohio State
Denver-Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi
New England-Matt Elam, S, Florida
Atlanta-Alex Okafor, DE/OLB, Texas
San Francisco-Eric Reid, S, LSU
New York Giants-TRADE w/Baltimore-Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State

New Orleans Saints Draft

1st (trade down w/Miami pick up a 2-2nds and 3rd) Miami trades up tp grab Cordarrelle Patterson after selecting Lane Johnson with the 12th pick.

2nd Melenik Watson, OT Florida St

2nd Robert Alford, CB, Southeastern Louisiana

3rd Brandon Williams, NT, Missouri Southern

4th Brandon Jenkins, OLB, Florida St

5th Joe Kruger, DE, Utah

5th Cooper Taylor, S, Richmond

6th Zach Line, FB, SMU

New Orleans Saints Free Agency

Jermon Bushrod, T,UFA-Gone
Rafael Bush, S, ERFA-Resigned
Jonathan Casillas, LB, UFA-Gone
Chase Daniel, QB, UFA-Re-signed
Brian De La Puente, C, RFA-Re-signed
Justin Drescher, C,RFA-Re-signed
Sedrick Ellis, DT , UFA-Gone
Junior Galette, DE, RFA-Re-signed
Devery Henderson, WR, UFA-Re-signed
Michael Higgins, TE, ERFA -Re-signed
Nick Hixon , CB,RFA-Gone
Ramon Humber, LB,UFA-Gone
Chris Ivory, RB, RFA-Traded for 5th rounder
Elbert Mack, CB, UFA-Re-signed
Turk McBride, DE, UFA-Gone
Swanson Miller,DT, RFA-Gone
Eric Olsen, G, ERFA-Re-signed
William Robinson, T, UFA-Gone
Courtney Roby, WR, UFA-Re-signed
Scott Shanle, LB, UFA-Gone

Gains
Tracy Porter CB
Larry Grant ILB
Ricky Jean Francois DE
Will Beatty LT
Ben Hartsock TE

Depth Chart (including some practice squad)
QB Brees, Daniel
RB Ingram, Thomas, Sproles, Cadet
FB Collins, Line
WR 1 Colston, Toon
WR 2 Moore, Morgan
WR 3 Henderson, Roby
TE Graham, Higgins, Hartsock
LT Beatty, Brown
LG Grubbs, Olsen
C DLP, Olsen
RG Evans, Tiller
RT Strief, Watson, Jones

LE Jordan, Francois, Kruger
RE Smith, Hicks, Johnson
NT Bunkley, Williams, Walker
LOLB Wilson, Vilma
LILB Lofton, Hawthorne
RILB Grant, Vilma
ROLB Galette,Jenkins Chamberlain
CB1 Greer, Porter, White
CB2 Robinson, Mack, Alford
FS Jenkins, IAQ
SS Harper, Bush, Taylor

K Hartley
P Morestead
LS Drescher
KR Alford

In summary, looks like LT will be the biggest need for this team going into the draft and FA. I look for them to sign a cheap veteran(Beatty) and spend an early round pick on one. That'll give them time to see who develops ( Watson, Brown, Jones ). Someone like Hartsock will be brought in as a 3rd TE, Higgins appears to have taken the 2nd spot. One RB is going to be the odd man out. Getting a 5th for Ivory allows for some depth on the other side of the ball to be had on draft day. I think Ivorys is our best pure runner, but injuries and Ingram (who I wish would get traded) make him that guy who gets moved. As WR goes Henderson is back for run blocking purposes and Morgan will be given the chance to be that 3rd WR that stretches the field. If Morgan has the development this year like he had towards TE end of last, he could be special.

On the defensive side of the ball the switch to the 3-4 begins. Immediately Wilson and Galette get on the field, it also appears vets like Smith and Vilma will be given the chance to remain on this team and vie for a starting position. Bringing in a guys like Francois and Grant in FA provide much need competition. I think Porter will be brought back for cheap. When healthy he provides depth which was a glaring need towards the end of last season. Jenkins and Harper will be given one more year to prove themselves under Ryan, but this is the final shot or the duo. Hicks is the wildcard. He can play at the nose or end and I fully expect him to be in on at least 50% of snaps. I fully believe he is one year away from being a pro bowler. Keeping some of the older vets (only if they take pay cuts) allows for a smoother transition and allows this years draft picks to get accustomed to the NFL game. As bad as the defense was last year if we clean house and plug in 3 or 4 rookies we may be just as bad. I know most want to cut the likes of Smith, Harper, Vilma ect... but they are needed pieces or the transition to be made. Towards the end of the season you should start to see the Rookies making an impact.

it doesn't sound like KC is going to take Geno Smith and are just going to let Albert walk with Luke Joeckle taking his spot

The word is re-sign, not resign.

I seriously do not get the infatuation with picks, especially when we are passing on potential impact players in the process.

I seriously do not get the infatuation with picks, especially when we are passing on potential impact players in the process.

Who would you take at 15 in my mock draft? Would that one person be better than Watson, Alford and Willams? Would that one person fill three potential holes or provide depth at three different positions?

depends on who is still on the board

The following are gone:
1st round mock
Kansas City-Geno Smith QB West Virginia
Jacksonville-Bjoern Werner DE Florida St
Oakland-Star Lotulelei DT Utah
Philadelphia-Luke Jockel OT Texas A&M
Detroit-Dion Jordan LB Oregon
Cleveland-Damontre Moore DE Texas A&M
Arizona-Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan
Buffalo-Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia
New York Jets-Barkeivous Mingo LB LSU
Tennessee- DeMarcus Milliner CB Alabama
San Diego-Keenan Allen WR California
Miami-Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
Tampa Bay-Ezekiel Ansah DE/OLB BYU
Carolina- Kenny Vaccaro S Texas

Who would you take at 15 in my mock draft? Would that one person be better than Watson, Alford and Willams? Would that one person fill three potential holes or provide depth at three different positions?

Sharrif Floyd or Sheldon Richardson, and yes either is better. Also, we don't know what holes will remain after the free agency period.

Pretty nice write-up!

However, you can't trade a player who has no contract.

To trade Ivory, you'd have to tender him with an offer, have him sign the tender, and then trade him with his one year 1.3-2.8 mil contract (depending on what level you tendered him at). This almost never happens, especially since Ivory made 450,000 last year. Or, you could sign him to a brand new multi-year contract and trade him.. but so could any other team, so why would they pay you a 5th round choice and take Ivory under the contract you wrote? They can just offer him a few more bucks, sign him instead, and save the draft choice! And you can be sure Chris will be looking for the best money he can get.

Pretty nice write-up!

However, you can't trade a player who has no contract.

To trade Ivory, you'd have to tender him with an offer, have him sign the tender, and then trade him with his one year 1.3-2.8 mil contract (depending on what level you tendered him at). This almost never happens, especially since Ivory made 450,000 last year. Or, you could sign him to a brand new multi-year contract and trade him.. but so could any other team, so why would they pay you a 5th round choice and take Ivory under the contract you wrote? They can just offer him a few more bucks, sign him instead, and save the draft choice! And you can be sure Chris will be looking for the best money he can get.

I'd like to see them keep Ivory and trade Ingram....maybe for a 6th rounder or a bag of peanuts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom