Offseason Random Discussion: Are you sold on Andrew Luck? (1 Viewer)

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixir
Reaction score
Thought about this while listening to the radio this morning.

Mike and Mike were bragging about how Flacco had beat "Luck, Manning, and Brady" and how that was such an accomplishment because of how good those three are. So it got me thinking about just how good Luck really was.

Luck has gotten a ton of hype and high media praise. He's part of the ROY conversation. I can even link to you an article that listed him as a pro-bowl snub (a major network article).

But are you sold on him and did he really do enough to cement that he'll be great, as many have already decided in their minds? My perception was that he had a really good year. Then I look at the numbers and see a 76 rating, 23 TD's and 18 INTs, and a 54% completion rate. He was sacked 41 times and fumbled 10 times.

Cam Newton had a better rookie season. Russell Wilson far outplayed him as a total player this year IMO.

I'm starting to think this guy isn't necessarily the lock to be amazing that people think he is. He could be though like any QB could be.

Discuss.

Yes. Peyton Manning had 26 TDs and 28 INTs for a 71.8 rating his rookie season and led his team to a 3-13 record....just saying, Stats dont always tell the whole story.

IMO, Andrew Luck is the real deal and i would take him over ALL the other Rookie QBs and Matt Ryan.

Yes. Peyton Manning had 26 TDs and 28 INTs for a 71.8 rating his rookie season and led his team to a 3-13 record....just saying, Stats dont always tell the whole story.

IMO, Andrew Luck is the real deal and i would take him over ALL the other Rookie QBs and Matt Ryan.

Before the season I wouldn't of flinched.

Now I'd be really tempted by Russell Wilson after seeing this season play out. Wilson really showed an ability to throw the ball well and more importantly he did so efficiently. That along with the extra dimension of his legs. His performance against the Falcons to bring them back mostly through the air (to eventually have their D lose it) really sold me on him.

Now I'd be really tempted by Russell Wilson after seeing this season play out. Wilson really showed an ability to throw the ball well and more importantly he did so efficiently. That along with his extra dimension with his legs. His performance against the Falcons to bring them back mostly through the air (to eventually have their D lose it) really sold me on him.

Dont get me wrong, i think he is very good as well, but i am a more proto-typical kind of guy.

I think Luck can be something very special in this league. I dont see Wilson as being something other than a very good Quarterback....which isnt necessarily a bad thing.

I think he has great potential, and will continue to get better as long as the Colts draft AND develop the players to compliment his abilities

I have never really believed that any rookie having a great first season cemented them as future allstars.

To back that up, look at Manning (either one), Elway, or even Drew. Their first seasons were far from exceptional and they are/were all excellent.

I am certain that there are many that had one great season and then bombed as well.

I think the Colts were playing on the momentum of Pagano's illness all season. On paper they really aren't that talented of a team. I was very impressed with what Luck was able to do this season with the team he inherited. Yes, I think he's the real deal.

I think Luck will be good and can be special. I think the same of Wilson and Griffin as well. The numbers don't tell the whole story though. Imo, Luck was leaned on earlier than the other two. iirc, both Seattle and Washington were more run centric early in the season and tried their best to keep Wilson and Griffin in manageable situations. For example, during the Saints game, Griffin rarely threw the ball more than 10-15 yards and the play calling used constant misdirection. Seattle ended the Season with about 130 more rushing attempts than passing attempts and they had actually begun freeing up the passing game as the season went along. If the Colts could have done similiar (not meaning the spread option), I think they would have. They didn't have the luxury.

In a word, yes.

I think Luck is a rare talent, and did exceptional as a rookie. I think he will get better, much better. I think he will be a top 5 QB in the NFL for a long time.

I'm sold on him, yes.

Throwing numbers out of the window on this one. Wilson and RGIII statistically had better years then Luck. However, Luck straight up cut it loose this year. No handcuffs. He took shots and instead of having the "I'm a rookie and I'll play it safe, not to lose" mentality, he took the road of "I'm going to learn how to be an elite quarterback."

It shows.

Absolutely. Avery and Hilton were tied for the worst drop rate in the league. His numbers don't tell you everything, watching him in a game, you'd see a great poise and command in the pocket.

Of course. The fact that he took this terrible Colts team to the playoffs in his rookie year speaks volumes about him. He's had a threadbare offensive line, not much of a running game, and a defense not much better than ours, and still won 10 games this year. If the Colts can have a solid draft in 2013 they could be legit contenders with the Texans (assuming they continue to choke against real competition).

For the Russell Wilson comparisons, he was a good player put in the perfect place at the perfect time. He's easily the second best quarterback in his class (behind RGKnee) and still has a lot of upside. Unlike Luck, he (and to an extent RG3) had a top-five running back to take the pressure off of him and a top-three defense to put him in good situations. Even so, he had to shoulder the load himself in a few games when needed, and came out victorious. All three of these rookies are excellent QB's.

Now I'd be really tempted by Russell Wilson after seeing this season play out. Wilson really showed an ability to throw the ball well and more importantly he did so efficiently. That along with the extra dimension of his legs. His performance against the Falcons to bring them back mostly through the air (to eventually have their D lose it) really sold me on him.

Agree with this 100%. Wilson looks to be the best of the Big 3 rookie QBs. This may sound crazy, but he reminds me a lot of Brees out there. He's a guy who, every single time he drops back, you feel confident that something very good is about to happen. On top of that, he knows when to run. He's going to be a great one.

To answer your question though, I also think Luck is going to be a great one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom