Ohio bill would allow pregnant people to sue over unintended pregnancies (1 Viewer)

Det. Brees

E tan e epi tas
Reaction score
With Ohio’s new six-week abortion ban in place, a state lawmaker says it’s time for the Ohio Legislature to give consideration to her bill that holds men, who cause an unintended pregnancy, responsible whether the sex that led to the pregnancy was consensual or not.

Sen. Tina Maharath said her bill would allow anyone who becomes pregnant to file a civil suit against the person who impregnated them — even if it happened as a result of consensual sex.

“Regardless of the circumstances. I felt it was important to have that vague language due to the fact that abortion is now banned here in the state of Ohio,” Maharath said.

What are your thoughts on this.

[mod edited]

The only place I can see this having a legit place is in a case where a man says he has been snipped. Whether the act is performed “safe” or not, there are risks, and not just pregnancy. Consensual implies the woman is of sound mind and of age. So they should know the risks and they share one half of the responsibilities

With Ohio’s new six-week abortion ban in place, a state lawmaker says it’s time for the Ohio Legislature to give consideration to her bill that holds men, who cause an unintended pregnancy, responsible whether the sex that led to the pregnancy was consensual or not.

Sen. Tina Maharath said her bill would allow anyone who becomes pregnant to file a civil suit against the person who impregnated them — even if it happened as a result of consensual sex.

“Regardless of the circumstances. I felt it was important to have that vague language due to the fact that abortion is now banned here in the state of Ohio,” Maharath said.

It’s the next ‘logical’ step now that the uterus has reached some sovereign realm status
If a man’s seed alters the sovereign state, he should shoulder responsibility

Of course we know this won’t happen- men will lie, dissemble and use false equivalencies and all sorts of other bad logic to duck this
And if it did somehow pass, it would just be another weapon to beat on the poor

Last edited by a moderator:
With Ohio’s new six-week abortion ban in place, a Democratic state lawmaker says it’s time for the Ohio Legislature to give consideration to her bill that holds men, who cause an unintended pregnancy, responsible whether the sex that led to the pregnancy was consensual or not.

Sen. Tina Maharath (D-Canal Winchester) said her bill would allow anyone who becomes pregnant to file a civil suit against the person who impregnated them — even if it happened as a result of consensual sex.

I don't know about Ohio, but the rest of the country already has this, it's called child support.

With Ohio’s new six-week abortion ban in place, a Democratic state lawmaker says it’s time for the Ohio Legislature to give consideration to her bill that holds men, who cause an unintended pregnancy, responsible whether the sex that led to the pregnancy was consensual or not.

Sen. Tina Maharath (D-Canal Winchester) said her bill would allow anyone who becomes pregnant to file a civil suit against the person who impregnated them — even if it happened as a result of consensual sex.

She is an idiot.

I thought this topic was only allowed on MAP? Let’s see how long this abortion thread lasts on EE.
Typically it’s ‘partisan bickering’ that becomes the issue
As long as ideas are being discussed and it doesn’t devolve into libs/maga mudslinging, the mods usually let it ride (not the same as on the SSF, obviously)

Do men get to sue women for unintended pregnancies?!?!?!?

There are women out there that use children as "leverage" over men. We'll handle our business for the most part for our kids but all pregnancies ain't pink balloons and midnight ice cream runs.
If men don’t want that responsibility, they need to make sure their sperm don’t interlope into the uterus

Which would be what?
If she says she is on a contraception method, but ends up preggers, then he should be able to sue her, right? Fair's fair. Honestly, the whole thing is just dumb - either way. Pretty soon there is going to have be some sort of legal document outlining the issues involved in consensual sexual encounters. Like an app on your phone. Transactional with all the legal jargon.

Thank goodness I never have to deal with dating ever again.

If men don’t want that responsibility, they need to make sure their sperm don’t interlope into the uterus
How is that any different from woman’s responsibility to not allow sperm to mingle in the uterus (assuming it’s consensual of course). If the man can be sued for unwanted pregnancy then why can a woman not be sued?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom