Ohio State RB/WR Samuel entering NFL Draft (1 Viewer)

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ohio State running back and wide receiver Curtis Samuel announced on Monday that he plans to enter the 2017 NFL Draft.

Samuel’s ability to play both positions complicates the evaluation process for NFL teams, but his speed will stand out. A part-time player over his first two seasons, he scored 15 touchdowns in 2016 while catching 74 passes for 865 yards and running 97 times for 771 yards.
Seems tailor made for what we need. Not sure where he is projected to go, but he seems like a very dangerous candidate for this offense. What a weapon.

Pa.Saint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We've had the best offense for a couple of years now, and we are at 7-9 for 3 years, what's wrong with this picture??? JMO "D"

OP
Saintaholic

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We've had the best offense for a couple of years now, and we are at 7-9 for 3 years, what's wrong with this picture??? JMO "D"
We still have free agency between now and then. Sometimes, best player available, regardless of need, is the way to go (see Thomas, Michael).

I think pass rusher and corner are priorities this off-season, but also recognize that the offense can always be made better.

Sure, we were #1 in offense, but we can always get better at sustaining drives and not getting shut down at times. Also keep in mind, we're very soon going to need to stock this offense with way more talent for when Brees exits within the next 1 to 3 seasons. Just because you're ranked #1 doesn't mean you can't get better.

We aren't just drafting for the 2017 season.

Brock Compeaux

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
No one is under the illusion that our defense does not need improvement, however the joker running back position is a need not a want in a Sean Payton offense. The mismatches it creates makes our offense virtually unstoppable. Our screen game was almost non-existent last year. When we were at our best we had that option at our disposal. As long as Brees is still Brees we will always be top ten in yards gained but last year we desperately missed that weapon out of the backfield at times.

Saints 318

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ohio state has been good to us so far

Sent from my iPhone 6Plus using Tapatalk

code11

Veteran
Reaction score
Everyone threw a fit when we drafted Michael Thomas last year and how did that work out?

We definitely need to add youth and speed to our running back group.

Slaw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Curtis Samuel in round 2 as long as we draft a DE at 11. Sounds great to me.

nosaints213

ad majorem dei gloriam
Reaction score
Trading down is looking more and more appealing every day.

Eman5805

Soulful Voice Actor
Reaction score
Trading down is looking more and more appealing every day.
We're more likely to trade back into the round or up into range for him than anything.

This would be a great year to stock pile tons of picks, but 10 years is plenty of time to establish a pattern.

I've no numbers on it, but I bet we've traded up in more than or equal to the drafts that we've done nothing in. And I certainly don't recall us ever trading down.

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He should be a player we target after the first round, his skillset fits our offense. With free agency we can find help on the offensive line and linebacker unit and find that edge rusher.

Pa.Saint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We still have free agency between now and then. Sometimes, best player available, regardless of need, is the way to go (see Thomas, Michael).

I think pass rusher and corner are priorities this off-season, but also recognize that the offense can always be made better.

Sure, we were #1 in offense, but we can always get better at sustaining drives and not getting shut down at times. Also keep in mind, we're very soon going to need to stock this offense with way more talent for when Brees exits within the next 1 to 3 seasons. Just because you're ranked #1 doesn't mean you can't get better.

We aren't just drafting for the 2017 season.
with our past history in free agency I would rather draft a young hungry "D"

TribuneUK

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
We need this skillset.
In my opinion this is a Saintsreport urban myth. Just because it's oft repeated doesn't make it true.

The fact is we have a satellite/joker back, but because we focus on anecdotal samples (i.e. what we see at key points on game day) we imagine the team has a yawning need for a 'better' back and more often than not ignore any data that argues to the contrary.

Cadet's crime is that he isn't a league beating superstar, much in the same way Brandon Coleman is guilty of being 'only' a #4 WR - both fulfil their roles without huge individual statistical success. That is perfectly suitable for what they're asked to do.

There is also the fact that our use of the satellite back makes our personnel set more clearly pass oriented, setting things up for the defense to get a jump on the playcall and therefore setting their own call to defend it best. We can't have this back on the field all the time, without limiting what we can do.

I'd put forward 3rd down conversion rate as probably the single most visible metric for the impact/value of a team's satellite back to success. And in 2016 the Saints are the #1 NFL team in this measure. It's not even a close race, we are a full 1.9% better than the second placed Packers. To put that into perspective, it's the largest difference between two teams in the rankings until you get to the cellar dwelling Rams (a full 2.7% adrift of 31st place). And there is no greater than a 1.0% difference between any other two adjoining clubs throughout the league rankings. We are that dominant on 3rd down, with the players we already have.

Now to be fair, we can compare with the oft-quoted gold standard of Saints satellite backs while he was in Black and Gold from 2011 to 2013, Darren Sproles, and how the team's 3rd Down conversion rate stacks up while he was with us:

Without Sproles
2016 Rk:1 Cnv:48.6%
2015 Rk:1 Cnv:47.7%
2014 Rk:1 Cnv:48.3%
With Sproles
2013 Rk:3 Cnv:43.9% (#1 SD at 49.0%)
2012 Rk:4 Cnv:44.0% (#1 NE at 48.7%)
2011 Rk:1 Cnv:56.7%

Source: 2016 NFL Team Downs Stats - National Football League - ESPN

Obviously, 2011 supports the logic that a top tier satellite back makes all the difference, but the 2012 and 2013 figures with Sproles still on board don't back that up, and may even suggest that, as with most things in today's NFL, it's hard to keep beating defenses the same way as they will scout, learn and adapt to beat you. And today, with the much maligned Cadet, we are doing better than at any time since 2011's heyday. In fact, we've led the league in 3rd down conversion every year since we let Sproles go.

For those demanding we get someone better, of course improving at any position is the overall goal, but doing so at the expense of other greater team needs is not. All this desire to draft high for a shiny new model of the same sort of player as we already have needs to step outside and cool off for a while.

Just my opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)