Ohio State to Saints pipeline (1 Viewer)

greatshow25

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I am from NW Pa. and have always wondered about the lack of LSU players?
In a lot of cases the better LSU players in the draft each year have been going early in Rounds 1 & 2. The Saints haven't always had the 'luxury' of selecting early due to their relative success each year. And even when a good LSU player was available, the Saints have had a need at a position different than the LSU player who is available.

It's been noted on the forum lately that the Saints have drafted a lot of (O & D) linemen early in the draft. The better of these skilled players haven't come from LSU. But when a serviceable lineman from LSU has come available (like Will Clapp), the Saints were happy to get him.

I think it's safe to say that with the state of the LSU football program of late a lot more LSU players will be falling to those later rounds. However, from what I've seen since 2019 they may not be much of a bargain anymore. Personally I don't think that the Saints are deliberately looking for guys out of Ohio State, but they do respect that program to turn out players who often make the transition to the pros better than many other college programs. And our success with these guys can't be denied.

LSU has certainly sent some great players into the NFL... more than most schools in fact. But not a lot of those prized players have fallen to the Saints on draft day. And the Saints aren't gonna 'reach' for a local kid just for the publicity. The Saints have been making really good personnel moves in recent years, and where our picks played ball is not something I'm ever going to concern myself with. But I think there are a lot of Saints fans who would like to see more local college players in the Black & Gold. To a degree, so would I. But obviously the Saints will only do this if they think the kid really can excel at the position better than another available player. The Saints clearly like what they see in Kwon... as long they can afford him and keep him healthy. :9:

Last edited:
I am from NW Pa. and have always wondered about the lack of LSU players?
A local sportswriter (Nick Underhill) crunched some numbers and found that the Saints are fairly average when it comes to players from their state’s major college football power. A few LSU fans have been vocal in their irrational belief that the Saints have it out for them, but they’re pretty rare — just loud.

Ohio state always has a good defense and we've ended up with alot of those players. Saints definitely like what they see from those guys so they keep going back to that well. Can't say it's worked out horrible for us.

That pipeline may dry up some now that Meyer is no longer there. He and CSP are friends and coach was able to get solid player info from him. Now :shrug:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom