Oil Change (1 Viewer)

my father in law built engines for a living..he swears by either 4 months or 4k in travel.

he did engine test over at Tonawanda Engine Plant for GM..about 34 years worth.

after every fuel up

You-are-so-dumb-You-are-really-dumb-Fo-real.jpg

You get ams oil you can go up to 12,0000 miles between changes.
Pure synthetic.
Just gotta change the filter every 3k.

Most newer vehicles don't require changing your oil as often as older models. I saw a show awhile back that suggested newer vehicles should have their oil changed about every 10,000 miles. They used the year 2003 as a starting point.

I said earlier that it was whenever my little thingy told me to - but I can look back at the time I've had the car - a little over 3 years and I may have had the oil changed 5 or 6 times. I know this because I only have it done at the dealership (except one bad experience somewhere else where they had no clue how to change the oil filter) and it doesn't go in often unless there's a recall or some light on. If light isn't on to tell me to take her in, I usually don't. Well, except for the body work that needed done. :covri:

Way back in the (pre-Jiffy Lube) days, dealership service departments used to say 5000 miles. Then came the quickie oil change days, and Jiffy Lube, Quickie-Lube, etc. began opening up on every corner. That's when the 3000 mile oil change "rumor" began. Those places started telling everyone to get it done every 3000 miles. Don't fall for it. Do what I do: open up your vehicles manual and find the service schedule. There are usually 2 -- 1 for regular conditions, and one for extreme. You probably fall into the regular conditions category -- most drivers do. While this schedule is probably still more often than necessary (auto manufacturers want their services departments to make money), it's still a good guideline. I change mine every 8000 miles, which is what my manual says. If my car is under warranty, I pay someone to change it. If not, I change it myself.

Every 50,000 or so, but I add butter every couple of months to keep her happy

Way back in the (pre-Jiffy Lube) days, dealership service departments used to say 5000 miles. Then came the quickie oil change days, and Jiffy Lube, Quickie-Lube, etc. began opening up on every corner. That's when the 3000 mile oil change "rumor" began. Those places started telling everyone to get it done every 3000 miles. Don't fall for it. Do what I do: open up your vehicles manual and find the service schedule. There are usually 2 -- 1 for regular conditions, and one for extreme. You probably fall into the regular conditions category -- most drivers do. While this schedule is probably still more often than necessary (auto manufacturers want their services departments to make money), it's still a good guideline. I change mine every 8000 miles, which is what my manual says. If my car is under warranty, I pay someone to change it. If not, I change it myself.

According to every maintenance guide I have seen, most people fall under the "more often" schedule. From a Nissan guide.

SCHEDULE 1 (more severe operating
conditions), every 3,750 miles or 3
months, whichever comes first
Use Schedule 1 if you primarily operate your
vehicle under any of these conditions:

1. Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in
normal temperatures or less than 10 miles in
freezing temperatures

2. Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or lowspeed
driving for long distances

3. Driving in dusty conditions or on rough,
muddy, or salt-spread roads
4. Towing a trailer, or using a camper
or car-top carrier

Items number 1 and 2 covers almost every typical driver and your oil should be changed according to the lower mileage schedule.

Now every body has stories of changing it less often and their engine lasts forever. This may be true but as a person that will keep a car until it dies, why take a chance on skimping on a few oil changes that may lead to engine wear before the life of the car expires?

It depends on the type of car and your driving habit. Follow your car manual's instructions. For me, it's 4-5k miles for dyno oil and 6-8k miles for synthetic. For more info, go to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom