Oil Change (1 Viewer)

We have a 2010 4Runner and the oil change interval recommended by Toyota is 10,000 miles. More often if towing or driving in harsh conditions regularly. It calls for 0W-20 synthetic for what it's worth.

I usually go every 3000 Km. I was going to synthetic inside this time, but decided against it as I was told that a high mileage engine might have issues with synthethic by a mechanic.

Growing up my Dad, who you would classify as a pretty good "shade tree mechanic', would only change the oil on all of his vehicles twice per year, regardless of miles. Every single vehicle that he as ever owned has made it to 175K or more. This includes 60's, 70's, 80's, etc. Anyone can tell you that vehicles made in the 60's and 70's were not the best engineered vehicles. Pretty impressive to say the least... As he says, "how you drive is the most important thing of all. Gunning and racing the motor of your car right after you crank it in the morning is absolutely brutal to the engine"

My new Mustang's interval is something crazy, like 10K miles.

According to the service advisor, the computer will figure oil life based on driving style and adjust accordingly. I'm at 5600 miles and it says 67% oil life remaining.

I use mobile one synthetic and change the oil/filter every 5k. I change the oil a bit more often in the older car. I change my motorcycles oil/filter every 2k or so. Or every few months. It's an old air/oil cooled engine that can be hell on oil in the southern heat.

I use the nickel and dime program... change the oil every 10,000 miles and rotate the tires every 5,000. Both vehicles have over 140,000 miles on them with no issues. 3rd set of tires put on last month.

Depends on how long you plan on keeping your car. I change my oil every 3000 to 3500 miles. This is what is recommended in the manual for my type of driving. Never miss a change. But I keep my cars until they die. I currently have three Nissan Altimas in my family with well over 100k with one at 168k.

I have never had a car car die because of a failed engine. I could probably go longer but I am sticking with what I know works.

if you gonna change your oil every 10k miles or so and vehicles old, id recommending at least checking the level to make sure you still HAVE oil and its not burning it up.

Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic in my GMC Sierra and Jeep Liberty at 4500 ~ 5000 miles. Been doing my own for two years now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom