Oil Change (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
How often should you change the oil in your car?

I've heard everything from every 3000 miles to 12000 miles

Depends on the type of oil, driving conditions, and the make/model of vehicle. Look in the owner's manual for the manufacturer recommendations. Most passenger cars, esp Japanese, are good for at least 6k miles. I would personally never go over 10k miles, though if you were to go that long you'd probably at least want to change the filter at least once between oil changes.

Once a year or 30000 miles, whichever comes first.

Depends on the type of oil, driving conditions, and the make/model of vehicle. Look in the owner's manual for the manufacturer recommendations. Most passenger cars, esp Japanese, are good for at least 6k miles. I would personally never go over 10k miles, though if you were to go that long you'd probably at least want to change the filter at least once between oil changes.

Change the filter and not the oil? Madness!

I change my Taco every 7500 running synthetic. Manual states 5000 normally.

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab V8 with 150,000+ miles on it.

I usually do it the first weekend every month regardless of mileage. Every time I go in the guys at the oil change place are always amazed how clean the expelled oil is.

I recently had the u-joints replaced, one was making noise. Just three weeks ago I got front rotors and new brake shoes all around for the first time. The mechanic was totally amazed.

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab V8 with 150,000+ miles on it.

I usually do it the first weekend every month regardless of mileage. Every time I go in the guys at the oil change place are always amazed how clean the expelled oil is.

I recently had the u-joints replaced, one was making noise. Just three weeks ago I got front rotors and new brake shoes all around for the first time. The mechanic was totally amazed.

You're just wasting oil. If it is coming out as clean as you put it in, then nothing is being cleaned.

If anything, I'd change the filter every month and change the oil every 3 months.

Seriously? If so, what do you drive?
Seriously. I hardly ever get an oil change. I've done this with every vehicle I've owned.

91 GMC Sonoma 2.8l died in a wreck in 95 with over 100k.
93 S-10 Blazer 4.3l died in a wreck in 2006 with over 200k.
98 Dakota 2.5l traded in 2005 running great with over 130k.
99 Silverado 5.3l sitting dead at house with fuel injection issues @ 180k miles
01 Lumina 3.1l running like a champ just shy of 130k on it

Those were the long term vehicles. I've had a few more that I've owned for only a short amount of time. I've never had a problem related to engine lubricants.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom