OJ Howard (1 Viewer)

11 is much too high for Howard. At 11, you hope to find a special player in the front seven on defense.

I think OJ Howard could be the BPA when we pick in the first round. What would you think about drafting him there? I'm not quite sure how I would feel about it. 2nd round would be a no brainer, but he's not going to last that long.

If Garrett, Allen, Foster, Barnett, Thomas, Hooker, Adams, Fournette, and Cook all go top 10, I think BPA would be Howard or a CB. Would you rather have one of the top CBs or OJ Howard at 11?

I realize our severe need for defense, and given this scenario, your first option would be to trade back for somebody who wants a QB. Mitch Trubisky and Deshaun Watson would be on the board. If you could get into the 20's, then OJ Howard becomes viable. Second option is to draft one of the top corners. If we don't love any of them and can't trade back, option 3 is to draft one of the QBs. Like I said, I know we don't need them. But if a nightmare scenario happens where all the good defensive prospects are off the board in the top 10 and the #1 QB in the draft is still there, you take him if that's all that's left. And I say that as someone who would be furious if we drafted a QB in round 1.

I'd have no problem whatsoever drafting Howard - if we traded down to do it, and picked up extra picks. In fact I would love the move.

I don't think anyone on this board believes Fleener is the long term answer. Drew would turn OJ Howard into a star, and it'd help the run game. Add in the (outstanding) depth of this draft for pass rushers and cornerbacks, then the move could make sense.

But if Reuben's there - I take him.

I remember last off-season, there was alot of hype surrounding Jake Butt. I didn't watch many Michigan games, so can anyone tell me why his stock has dropped so much?

I like OJ Howard alot as a prospect, but I think this board will melt if we take a TE with our first. I wouldn't mind taking one in the mid rounds. Someone like Gerald Everett would be a nice addition.
Injury?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I remember last off-season, there was alot of hype surrounding Jake Butt. I didn't watch many Michigan games, so can anyone tell me why his stock has dropped so much?

I like OJ Howard alot as a prospect, but I think this board will melt if we take a TE with our first. I wouldn't mind taking one in the mid rounds. Someone like Gerald Everett would be a nice addition.

ACL.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Michigan senior TE Jake Butt will require surgery to repair a torn ACL.

Brutal blow for Butt, who suffered the severe knee injury on a reception in the first half of Friday's Orange Bowl loss to Florida State. With the 6-foot-6, 237-pounder requiring surgery, he will be largely unable to take part in the draft process moving forward, at least outside of medical checks.

Said medical checks are going to be critical for him as NFL teams determine whether or not they are willing to take the risk.

I accept your odds and bet a $1.00 that the Saints will pick him at 11. So we have a bet, right?

duke-brothers3.jpg

I realize our severe need for defense, and given this scenario, your first option would be to trade back for somebody who wants a QB. Mitch Trubisky and Deshaun Watson would be on the board. If you could get into the 20's, then OJ Howard becomes viable. Second option is to draft one of the top corners. If we don't love any of them and can't trade back, option 3 is to draft one of the QBs. Like I said, I know we don't need them. But if a nightmare scenario happens where all the good defensive prospects are off the board in the top 10 and the #1 QB in the draft is still there, you take him if that's all that's left. And I say that as someone who would be furious if we drafted a QB in round 1.

Cleveland is reportedly interested in Watson at 12. If Trubisky goes in the top 10 then it's a real possibility we get a nice offer to trade back

OJ Howard put up minimal numbers at bama because they never threw to him. Its just how they run their offense. But its a credit to his ability to be rated the #1 TE in the draft without the crazy numbers to justify it.

He's a good inline blocker (because Bama runs ALOT), and he has sure hands and good speed. Whoever gets him will get a real good TE, but I don't think he's worth taking at 11 when we have more pressing needs (LB, DE, CB, OL).

I don't think anyone has a firm grasp on how good of a prospect OJ Howard is. He has shown flashes but for the most part he only showed up in one game each season. Why was that? If you have a weapon like that, why not feature him a bit more?

He reminds me of Ben Watson coming out. Watson had everything you could ask for when it came to height/weight/speed. He was a very gifted athlete but his college numbers didn't really reflect that. I don't think Howard is the athlete that Watson was but he'll still check off the boxes.

I can understand why Howard's reception and yardage totals are low. It's hard for a TE to put up huge numbers when he's being asked to block on most plays. He's averaged 42 receptions for 599 yards the past two seasons, which isn't that bad. The number I can't understand for the life of me is 7, as in 7 TDs in his career. How can a guy that big and that fast only have 7 TDs over four seasons? From the outside looking in it would seem like he would be absolutely dominate in the red zone. It seems like they would've relied on him in the red zone.

Anyway, I don't think we can afford to use the 11th pick on a TE. We have so many more pressing needs and some very good prospects will be on the board who could fill those needs.

Watching the Senior Bowl there seems to be alot of Jordan Reed type tighends available and I think the Saints will look for one of those H-Back type of TE that can motion and play fullbacK.

Watching the Senior Bowl there seems to be alot of Jordan Reed type tighends available and I think the Saints will look for one of those H-Back type of TE that can motion and play fullbacK.

Evan Engram is built just like Jordan Reed, but I don't know if he has Reed's quickness. I'll be interested to see how he does in the agility drills at the combine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom