OK Homers - How Good Are the Falcons? - Fess Up (1 Viewer)

Let's pretend Hartley makes that field goal and we are both 8-3 in the toughest division in football. At 8-3, having beaten GB last week, I still say the Falcs are one of the better teams in the league. And we would still have to go win in their house where they are 19-1 with Ryan. The Vikes were a great team last year. And I hate Favre. I watched that game 11 times and I still don't know how they lost that game. The fact that we beat a great team is a statement about how good the Saints are. If we go up to Atlanta and beat the Falcons in their dome, it's says we beat one of the elite teams in the league this year in their backyard. This is a statement about us. Running down our key top-notch opponents, only belittles the greatness of this Saints team.

I agree with Bonchie, I mean they have skimmed by for many games. I give props on the fact that they are solid all the way around, but they don't put teams away, they let them hang around and as stated above, it will come back to bite them in the butt. I wonder, however, if we hadn't missed that field goal would they still be on the same streak they are on right now. It seemed to me that beating us gave them confidence for the whole season that they can beat any team.

The 2010 Falcons = Jim Mora Era Saints

This will be apparent once the playoffs start.

I agree with Bonchie, I mean they have skimmed by for many games. I give props on the fact that they are solid all the way around, but they don't put teams away, they let them hang around and as stated above, it will come back to bite them in the butt. I wonder, however, if we hadn't missed that field goal would they still be on the same streak they are on right now. It seemed to me that beating us gave them confidence for the whole season that they can beat any team.

I agree they are a good team but they are riding momentum...their luck factor has made them a better team...it will be interesting to see how they handle a loss.... unfortunately I think we are the only probable loss left on their schedule.

But that was just stupidity. We were dominant most of the year.

If the Falcons continue to play like they are, letting bad and good teams stay within striking distance well into fourth quarter, and still somehow make it to the superbowl I will be in awe.

I totally agree with this. We didnt just find ways to win games last year and skid by. We were a dominant team that put up 30+ points each week and had a defense that was built to apply pressure and create turnovers. Sure we had our share of squekers namely, Miami, Washington, and St. Louis, but other than that we pretty much demolished teams. And we did let some teams hang around and it did bite us, see Dallas and Tampa.

I am not saying it will happen, but i wouldnt be shocked to see Atlanta lose 2 of 3 during the road swing. On the flip side, i will be impressed if they win all 3.

Probably because the title is antagonizing. It reeks of a false dichotomy since either you 'admit' that the Falcons are a good team or you are a homer. It's almost as if he's trolling for controversy.

Perhaps I'm wrong about Swimmer. He could be a soul whose intentions are good, but oh Lord I don't think I've misunderstood.

No offense, Swimmer. :hihi:

Swimmer likes controversy. He has openly admitted he makes threads to stir things up. This is just another example of the same.

The fact that they've had to basically come from behind in most, if not all, of their home games, including last week, would worry me if I was a fan of their team.

But, I think they're a pretty good team. Should be a playoff atmosphere up there in a few weeks when we get there.

A big part of ATL's success is their 3rd down conversion efficiency. It is my opinion that the fact that ATL is top 5 in least penalized contributes to their 3rd down efficiency. When you're not getting busted for facemasks, holding, interference, of course you're going to eventually conjure up a long drive and break down opposing defenses. Basically I think these sustained drives are a product of 50% team, 50% officiating. Yes, Atl has skilled players, Turner, White, Gonzales, but I've seen too many calls missed, too much bs from the officiating that I can't help but to consider 50/50

So you are saying he has come out of the troll closet?

Correct. Here is his quote.

Even I, the ultimate Contrarian, and some times board poster who likes to stir things up (aka TROLLER - Mod Clarification) , can clearly see this team is headed back. Whether we make it there are not depends on injuries and a few breaks.

I love the Mod clarification lol

Atlanta is a solid team. I'll admit that. I think their strength is keeping every 3rd down very manageable. I don't know their stats but I'd wager their 3rd down conversion percentage is near the top of the league. So they're tough to get off the field and Smith will not hesitate to go for it on 4th down because he has faith in Ryan, Turner and Tony G. They play a very boring, yet methodical, brand of football.

To beat them you have to get them out of their rhythm and make those 3rd and 4th downs damn near unreachable. Jumping out of the gate with a lead would help and put them on their heels. They're built to play close games, but if a game gets out of hand I don't believe the can come back from the dead.

I think Atlanta's problem--as far as how they're seen by fans and the media--is they aren't impressive defensively or offensively. They're not WOWing anyone. Just very workman like and methodical. Boring. Solid, but not dominant. The non Atlanta fan will walk away from their victory last weekend and think, "Meh, they got kinda lucky 'cause Green Bay shot themselves in the foot."

Atlanta professional sports franchises all have one thing in common. Every one of them has shown the ability to shine like a diamond in a goat's butt at times and peak during the middle of the regular season and they all crumble into dust in the stretch or the playoffs.

Braves
Thrashers
Hawks
Falcons

Its who Atlanta is.
Its what Atlanta does.

Never change Atlanta. Never change.

:scratch:
Having been around for a while, it's hard not to feel a little sympathy for the Bucs fans and Falcons fans, especially the Bucs. These teams in the past were almost as bad as the Saints used to be. It's hard for me to just sport-trash the Falcons.

How good are the Falcons this year? I thought GB was going take them down. They look awfully good in all major areas and Smith is a top notch coach. Right now, they have SB appearance written all over them.

How much of this is talent and how much is confidence? What will happen if they fall on the road. How will this impact their confidence? We can play ostrich, but they are quite real and Ryan is money in the clutch. Lots of times it takes a QB a few times to get their cool under playoff pressure before they are ready to lead a SB team. We will see with Ryan.

We have a huge task in front of this. I don't think we make it to the SB if we have to play in cold weather twice in the playoffs. I guess we just have to run the table. Just two obstacles in the way: Ravens in the cold and the Falcons in their dome who are 19-1 with Ryan.
probally on of the worst 9-2 teams I've ever seen....an I'm not being a homer when I say this either,you'll see,teams need to throw on there awful secondary score quick..

Falcon's somehow make it to the superbowl I will be in awe.
they'll never make it...SB goes thru Our SAINTS.....

They are a very solid and balanced team that are disciplined and well coached......ok...now I am gonna go puke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom