OK Homers - How Good Are the Falcons? - Fess Up (1 Viewer)

I'm sorry, but I'm sick of this "outplayed" argument. All that matters is what the final score reads. We were "outplayed" by Minnesota last year, I didn't see them in the Super Bowl. If we were outplayed by Atlanta, but were still a chip shot away from victory, what does that say about Atlanta?
I don't necessarely disagree, but following that thinking, why say they get lucky every week if the only thing that matters is the final score?

I don't think the Falcons are that good. They're a solid team & they've beaten good teams but only barely. They squeaked by the Ravens, slipped past Green Bay, & should've lost to Cincy & Tampa.

The Eagles pounded them with high octane offense (& no Vick) & the Steelers beat em with good ol fashioned, hard nosed defense. That being said, when the Saints played the Falcons earlier this year, we played them with a depleted team. We literally played our worst possible football & they played their best possible football (& we almost won in overtime).

When we play em next time, I bet you everyone will change their opinions on who's the best team in the NFC. WHODAT

With their home record the past 3 years, and the fact they have a legitimate shot at homefield, they have to be feared (even if only slightly).

The problem I have with them, is that they don't appear to have a single aspect of their game that they're dominant in.

When you look across the board at their stats, and while "stats are for losers" nothing stands out and says "That's why they win games"

How many legitimate pro bowlers can you pick out of that team? Not many.

After I read this, it occurred to me that this is exactly what was said when patriots won their first superbowl (maybe the 2nd too). And it is often said today about all the other Patriots players (except Brady ofcourse)

One more thing.... If you look at the W-L record of the opponents through week 12. Atlanta has played teams which are combined 63-58 and Saints opponent record is 49-72. But after seeing the packers-falcons game I think Saints with their better running game can beat them if they play mistake free.

I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns!

Now that I've gotten that off of my chest:

It's hard to admit but they've gotten this far because they're good enough, what you see is what you get. They don’t just find ways to win, they win by playing their game which is solid, good old fashioned football and when that style is executed properly it’s tough to beat. But when you play closely managed games you can’t afford to make many mistakes and they haven’t made many so far. They also can't afford to lose one of their four stars. We all saw what happend to the viqueens without Rice or the Saints without Bush and Thomas. But as the second season gets closer each game gets more important and the pressure increases.

Once the playoffs start then they'll face a whole new level of competition. So if they do keep executing then we'll be forced to give them their props! Either way they'll provide all of their answers themselves. I’m betting against them as long as we can keep the pressure on!

Until then:
I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns! I hate the fowlclowns!

Having been around for a while, it's hard not to feel a little sympathy for the Bucs fans and Falcons fans, especially the Bucs. These teams in the past were almost as bad as the Saints used to be. It's hard for me to just sport-trash the Falcons.

How good are the Falcons this year? I thought GB was going take them down. They look awfully good in all major areas and Smith is a top notch coach. Right now, they have SB appearance written all over them.

How much of this is talent and how much is confidence? What will happen if they fall on the road. How will this impact their confidence? We can play ostrich, but they are quite real and Ryan is money in the clutch. Lots of times it takes a QB a few times to get their cool under playoff pressure before they are ready to lead a SB team. We will see with Ryan.

We have a huge task in front of this. I don't think we make it to the SB if we have to play in cold weather twice in the playoffs. I guess we just have to run the table. Just two obstacles in the way: Ravens in the cold and the Falcons in their dome who are 19-1 with Ryan.

Without having read any responses to your post, I'll say this. I think the Falcons are good. However, I was much more intimidated by and concerned about the 2009 Vikings and Cowboys than I am of the 2010 Falcons. Okay, so they may win the South this year and we'll have to settle for a wild card. If we have to play them in the playoffs in the Georgia Dome, I really like our chances. In fact, I think we win decisively. I think Mike Vick and the Eagles would give us considerably more trouble than the Falcons.

I respect the Falcons organization. I don't dislike the Falcons unlike most of my black and gold family members. I used to hate them as a kid when I lived in New Orleans but now that I live in Minneapolis, my hatred is more directed at teams like the Bears and until recently, the Vikings. (I actually have a little sympathy for them this year and I'm a Leslie Frazier fan)

Against us, it went to overtime but we also had the lucky punt recovery
We also had 3 boneheaded turnovers, IIRC.

Against the 49ers (which people often refer to as the luckiest win), SF did NOTHING after the 1st quarter and got half of their point on a blocked punt. if SF win that game it would have been a huge upset IMO.

And yet, San Francisco should have won if only Nate Clements (it was him, right?) just took a knee. Again, not that impressive.

What you've really listed is a series of really close calls in which the Falcons got some really, really lucky breaks. It's not amazing that the Falcons won, it's amazing their opponents--despite being completely clueless during the game--were still alive at the end. And that says a lot more about the Falcons and that's why many people do not buy them as a dominant team.

And yet, San Francisco should have won if only Nate Clements (it was him, right?) just took a knee. Again, not that impressive.

What you've really listed is a series of really close calls in which the Falcons got some really, really lucky breaks. It's not amazing that the Falcons won, it's amazing their opponents--despite being completely clueless during the game--were still alive at the end. And that says a lot more about the Falcons and that's why many people do not buy them as a dominant team.
Anf how is it different from our win against the Cowboys?

And regarding the "dominant" label....nobody is saying they are dominant, not even the media. It seems that you guys don't realize that a dominant team like last year doesn't come around every season.....the Faclons are just one of the top 2-3 team in the NFC. and You don't need to play like the 2009 Saints to go to the SB.

But it's always the same here, if the media say a team is good and it's not the Saints, people pretend they are crowning them and they say it's the best team of all time (find me an article that say the Falcons are dominant?)...and if someone say something remotely bad against the Saints people act like the called us the worst team in history....:idunno:

Hate to bring this up, but if Garret would've made that field goal in overtime, then there would be no talks about the Falcons like they are gettin right now.

In fact, if that FG was made, we would be leading the NFC conference.

Hate to bring this up, but if Garret would've made that field goal in overtime, then there would be no talks about the Falcons like they are gettin right now.

if drew brees wouldn't have thrown 2 pick 6s during the cleveland game we would've won by at least 1

You can't make that assumption. We might have won the Atlanta game and got over confident and lost a few instead of only two. Atlanta might have lost to us and it lit a fire under their *** and they could have gone undefeated by beating Philly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom