OK Homers - How Good Are the Falcons? - Fess Up (1 Viewer)

You haven't been reading much nor have you talked to very many Falcon fans for they have been indeed labeled, dominant, unbeatable at home...and they themselves are constantly trying to equate their luck this year with the 2 or 3 games where fortune smiled on us last year...
Why would I care what stupid Falcons fans say about their team? Of course they think they're the best....they're fans, they're biased! Just like many Saints fan were thinking we would go throught the season 16-0 and unscratched.

But when it comes to the media, I'm reading quite a lot of articles from the national media and I don't see many people saying they are dominant, good, very good, yes, but not dominant. Like I said, show me one.

The 2010 Falcons = Jim Mora Era Saints

This will be apparent once the playoffs start.

This is 100% correct. They don't have that dominance on offense or defense that you need to win playoff games. Once the intensity is turned up to 11, and the teams are all good, an efficient check-down offense and power running alone will not win for you. It might work if you have a 00 Ravens or 02 Tampa or 85 Bears D, but they don't have that. Conversely, you can win with an above-average defense and a great offense (Rams, Indy, NE).

Martyball (aka Moraball) = 1 and done.

You need that difference-maker. For the Saints last year in the playoffs, it was (1) Drew Brees throwing 8 TD, 0 INT w/ QB ratings of 125, 106 and 114 PLUS (2) a ferocious pass rush (think about what happened to Favre and Warner) plus Tracy Porter. Even with all of that, the wins over the Vikings and Colts were not blowouts, because those teams were that good.

They're a very talented team and it pains me to say that but I speak the truth. However, they've gotten so many breaks that at this point realisticly they have NO excuses not to go to the Super Bowl. Garrett Hartley basicly handed over the game to them, Nate Clements decides showboating is more important that actually winning. Refs turned the other way when Roddy "Mr. Pushoff" White makes his presence felt. Green Bay's coaches decided to take the day off last Sunday. I mean they've virtually had everything go their way. I'm still confident their luck will turn on them in some form or fashion. Either late in the season or in the playoffs. Mark my words!!!!

I wouldnt be surprised if the Bucs pull this one off. Falclowns are favored by 3pts over Bucs. Of course this could change by the end of the week, but I dont see it changing very much. I think Tampa will take em this week to put us a half a game behind. Atlantas schedule looks as though they could win all 5, but they wont, theyll lost 2 of them. which 2 is anyones guess but ideally Bucs would be a favorable one.:mwink:

This is extremely interesting. The Vegas books know their stuff and they are saying that on a neutral field the Bucs and Falcons are pick-it. The Vegas books are not buying into the Falcons SB march yet. That really surprises me and gives some support to those on this post who say the Falcons are not as good as their record.

Hate to bring this up, but if Garret would've made that field goal in overtime, then there would be no talks about the Falcons like they are gettin right now.

In fact, if that FG was made, we would be leading the NFC conference.

Do you really hate to bring up the easy target? Yes he missed.

Don't forget after the missed FG the Falcons had a holding call that put them 1-20 at their own 10.

In all honesty:

They are better than I thought.

They are worse than the hype.

They will lose to someone, hopefully us once more and two more if we face them in the playoffs. I KNOW the Saints are a better team now that they have gotten through that rough patch in the beginning of the season.

I think they're in the top 5 best teams in the NFL. Making few mistakes is a big part of why they're so good. They're not great anywhere, but are good everywhere.

Well, they're 9-2 so obviously they are very good. They're balanced, have a good enough D, and play well at home. Not to mention, alot of the breaks are falling their way. (Sounds alot like a team from 2009). And there's nothing wrong with that. Any coach whose won a Superbowl will tell you that getting lucky breaks is part of being successful.

I will never like the Falcons but they're well-coached and talented.

No disrespect but it doesn't sound alot like a team from 2009.

Said it before in a similar thread

In 2009 the Saints

Didn't even relinquish a lead until the sixth game of the season

Totally Beat Down and Destroyed numerous marquee teams

Beat five Superbowl winning qbs on their march to the Championship.

Sounds more like a slightly above average team that has barely escaped numerous defeats and is way overhyped!!

The Hartley kick was brutal. But the final score is what it is. Does anybody remember Sean Suisam missing a shorter kick for the Skins last year that would have closed us out. Well.......

I hope the Falcons are just good enough to be in everybody's gun sights.

:ezbill:

With their home record the past 3 years, and the fact they have a legitimate shot at homefield, they have to be feared (even if only slightly).

The problem I have with them, is that they don't appear to have a single aspect of their game that they're dominant in.

When you look across the board at their stats, and while "stats are for losers" nothing stands out and says "That's why they win games"

How many legitimate pro bowlers can you pick out of that team? Not many.

Tell you a few reasons why they win games.

Its either their opponent screwing up, or they able to march down short fields assisted by the officials to gain game winning FG or TD (when Roddy White pushes defenders out of his way)

They have only been dominant in about 2 games this year, 1 of them was Browns, 1 was Rams.

Do you really hate to bring up the easy target? Yes he missed.

Don't forget after the missed FG the Falcons had a holding call that put them 1-20 at their own 10.

Haha I said i was done arguing, but if you want to keep feeding it on, then I'm hungry. How exactly does what you said in bold matter or even make a difference if the FG was made? The game would've been over. Nothing would have matterd after that.

Well here is what they do well.
1st in Offensive time of possession. 33:24
+11 in turn over ratio.
7th in points differential however that is the lowest ranked 9-2 team.
7th in scoring.
2nd in Offensive 1st downs
29th in pass plays over 20 yards.
9th in rushing plays over 20 yards.
11th in 1st downs allowed on D.
9th in rushes allowed over 20 yards.
9th in passes allowed over 20 yards.
So they keep their offense on the field and don't turn the ball over.
That is solid but not very exciting football.

Luck, Clock management, Luck, injuries on other teams before they play em... and um.. some good throws by Matt and running game is decent..
But i don't see how they are Superbowl ready.. seems mediocre to me.. But why the Falcon Threads?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom