Ok, I'm in. Let's see where things are in two games... (1 Viewer)

HouseCall

Resist, Ronald, resist!
Reaction score
Ok, been seeing some optimism creep into this board today. A few threads pondering if we have the talent and intestinal fortitude to overcome this two game skid and challenge for the division. I started thinking about the final six games. Not really easy to handicap the games over the course of the final month and half since we've shown a lot of inconsistency. However, the resurgence of the defense has certainly made me think in more "optimistically" about the future but it's still a long haul going forward.

There is a split on this board. There are the optimistic, diehards who see a growing team as an improving work in progress that may peak at the perfect time and then there's the frustrated, cynical masses who see this season as an eerie callback to the previous two seasons (and a few other seasons from the Payton tenure).
Some might fall in the middle of this chasm, but for the most part it's a nice balance between the "we got dis" crowd and the "we don't got dis" crowd.

Week to week the complexion of the league changes too drastically to really foresee where we'all be in six weeks, but maybe we could focus on a much more digestible timeframe. Let's look at the next two games. Not just for us but the next two games for the NFC South. Let's see if the next two weeks change our fortunes as a club.

There was a good thread about us getting to 6-6 today. I posted negativity in that thread and after careful consideration, I retract that blanket cynicism. I want to remain hopeful for the next two weeks (or to the conclusion of week thirteen more specifically) and a possible blindly optimistic dream scenario.

We know our next two games --
Rams
Lions

Both at home. Must win. Any other outcome derails the dream.

The Bucs --
@ KC (Sunday)
Seahawks
@ Chargers

The Panthers
@Oakland
@Seattle

The Falcons
BYE
Arizona
KC

Anyway, when you're 4-6 you've forfeited the luxury of controlling your destiny so we are going to have to watch the scoreboards from here on out.

I'm sure this scenario has been kicked about already in some of these threads and it won't take much for the whole thing to blow up but maybe we can all agree to smile and be optimistic for the next two games and see where things stand and the conclusion of week 13.

We definitely have the most favorable schedule of the four teams but we know that doesn't always translate but maybe it will make things interesting for the final month.

I'm going to try and be less negative. Realistic but less negative.

What do you all think?

Six weeks with 2 games and you play the division leader. It's more than possible.

We are accustomed to offenses that rarely screw up, to defenses of epic ineptitude, and mediocre special teams. Now we have an offense that screws up, an improving defense, and horrendous special teams. That seems like a net loss, except that the offense often resembles the machines of the recent past. If the offense can get back to its former high level, the special teams gaffes will matter less. So, I would say that it depends largely on the offense. For the first time in a long time, I'm not too worried about the defense.
For the next two games, the matchups will matter a lot. The coaches need to put their units in the best position to prevail.

Week 13
Saints 6-6
Falcons 6-6
Panthers 6-6
Buccaneers 6-6

New season. I'll take it. Defense has improved, Offense is still top 3 in the league, and we lost 3 games this season on flukes and 2 more for coming out flat. This is not a good team, because a good team tends to get the bounces, but it's not a bad team. A snake-bit team to be sure, but not a bad team.

Week 13
Saints 6-6
Falcons 6-6
Panthers 6-6
Buccaneers 6-6

New season. I'll take it. Defense has improved, Offense is still top 3 in the league, and we lost 3 games this season on flukes and 2 more for coming out flat. This is not a good team, because a good team tends to get the bounces, but it's not a bad team. A snake-bit team to be sure, but not a bad team.

I don't know if the Bucs or the Panthers can get to 6-6. Those are some brutal games they have on the docket.

Anything can happen. Regardless, if we win the next 2 games, we will not be 2 games behind Atlanta. If the NFC South comes down to the final week of the season vs the Falcons, I'll be more than happy. IMO, the record doesn't fit the team. I couldn't say that in '14 and '15. But this team should be above .500

That being said, if we're not 6-6 when we go to Tampa, we can switch over to draft talk a month early this season.

I have been playing around with the playoff predictor over at NFL Playoff Predictor.

It's pretty clear if the Saints win out they will get in. I also think even at 9-7 (loss at Arizona) there's something like a 20% chance they get in. It's not that unreasonable.

And when I say "get in," I do not just mean by winning the South. I think the wild card is still in play, too. Here's a link where the Saints come in at the #5 seed with a loss at Arizona: NFL Playoff Predictor .

The teams ahead of the Saints (Vikings, Giants, Redskins, Eagles) all have pretty tough schedules. The NFC East plays each other a lot down the stretch, so I think two East teams as wild cards is unlikely. And the Vikings have been collapsing.

By no means is it over, but let's see how the next two weeks go. A two game losing streak isn't helping momentum right now, obviously.

I have been playing around with the playoff predictor over at NFL Playoff Predictor.

It's pretty clear if the Saints win out they will get in. I also think even at 9-7 (loss at Arizona) there's something like a 20% chance they get in. It's not that unreasonable.

And when I say "get in," I do not just mean by winning the South. I think the wild card is still in play, too. Here's a link where the Saints come in at the #5 seed with a loss at Arizona: NFL Playoff Predictor .

The teams ahead of the Saints (Vikings, Giants, Redskins, Eagles) all have pretty tough schedules. The NFC East plays each other a lot down the stretch, so I think two East teams as wild cards is unlikely. And the Vikings have been collapsing.

By no means is it over, but let's see how the next two weeks go. A two game losing streak isn't helping momentum right now, obviously.

I think that's the only really smart thing about the NFL schedule. Putting divisional games in the final month really thins out the cluster of teams gunning for a WC spot and divisional titles.

Ok, been seeing some optimism creep into this board today. A few threads pondering if we have the talent and intestinal fortitude to overcome this two game skid and challenge for the division. I started thinking about the final six games. Not really easy to handicap the games over the course of the final month and half since we've shown a lot of inconsistency. However, the resurgence of the defense has certainly made me think in more "optimistically" about the future but it's still a long haul going forward.

There is a split on this board. There are the optimistic, diehards who see a growing team as an improving work in progress that may peak at the perfect time and then there's the frustrated, cynical masses who see this season as an eerie callback to the previous two seasons (and a few other seasons from the Payton tenure).
Some might fall in the middle of this chasm, but for the most part it's a nice balance between the "we got dis" crowd and the "we don't got dis" crowd.

Week to week the complexion of the league changes too drastically to really foresee where we'all be in six weeks, but maybe we could focus on a much more digestible timeframe. Let's look at the next two games. Not just for us but the next two games for the NFC South. Let's see if the next two weeks change our fortunes as a club.

There was a good thread about us getting to 6-6 today. I posted negativity in that thread and after careful consideration, I retract that blanket cynicism. I want to remain hopeful for the next two weeks (or to the conclusion of week thirteen more specifically) and a possible blindly optimistic dream scenario.

We know our next two games --
Rams
Lions

Both at home. Must win. Any other outcome derails the dream.

The Bucs --
@ KC (Sunday)
Seahawks
@ Chargers

The Panthers
@Oakland
@Seattle

The Falcons
BYE
Arizona
KC

Anyway, when you're 4-6 you've forfeited the luxury of controlling your destiny so we are going to have to watch the scoreboards from here on out.

I'm sure this scenario has been kicked about already in some of these threads and it won't take much for the whole thing to blow up but maybe we can all agree to smile and be optimistic for the next two games and see where things stand and the conclusion of week 13.

We definitely have the most favorable schedule of the four teams but we know that doesn't always translate but maybe it will make things interesting for the final month.

I'm going to try and be less negative. Realistic but less negative.

What do you all think?

I think you had a great post. Thanks......for the optimism.

I don't know if the Bucs or the Panthers can get to 6-6. Those are some brutal games they have on the docket.

Carolina will also be without Kuechly most likely. He's the true MVP of that team. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose their next two.

What I like most about the OP is that while most every Saints fan had already run these scenarios through their heads, HouseCall was the only one with the stones to actually make the thread.

Hats off to HouseCall! :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom