OK let's figure out who will be there when we finally pick... (1 Viewer)

City Champ

HOF 2010
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It isn't rocket science, so let's try to figure out who will be there at 10. at least then we can figure out if its likely we trade down, pick a defensive guy, or we become the lions of the south...

so without further adieu

1# Miami (1-15)
2# St. Louis (3-13)
3# Atlanta (4-12)#
4# Oakland (4-12)#
5# Kansas City (4-12)#
6# New York Jets (4-12)
7# New England [from San Francisco (5-11)]
8# Baltimore (5-11)
9# Cincinnati (7-9)
10# New Orleans (7-9)

Does Miami go line and scoop up Dorsey or do they look at QB, RB, LT, damn near anywhere on there team???

Same can be said for STL, but my gut says they look to help out the offensive line

ATL AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! that makes me happy...
as for where they go, hmmm could go McFadden or grab Ryan, who knows...

what do you guys think???

It isn't rocket science, so let's try to figure out who will be there at 10. at least then we can figure out if its likely we trade down, pick a defensive guy, or we become the lions of the south...

so without further adieu

1# Miami (1-15)
2# St. Louis (3-13)
3# Atlanta (4-12)#
4# Oakland (4-12)#
5# Kansas City (4-12)#
6# New York Jets (4-12)
8# Baltimore (5-11)
9# Cincinnati (7-9)
10# New Orleans (7-9)

Does Miami go line and scoop up Dorsey or do they look at QB, RB, LT, damn near anywhere on there team???

Same can be said for STL, but my gut says they look to help out the offensive line

It's not going to be clear until at least after the NFL combine. A lot of "movement" is going to occur with prospects up to the combine, not just in terms of public hype and what we know, but for the actual NFL teams too as they have their meetings and start to work on their draft boards.

That said, some predictions i'd make now

1. Miami will draft a QB. There's a history here with Bill Parcells kicking off his rebuilding campaign in New England by taking Drew Bledsoe #1 overall. He brought in a veteran with the Jets but that's because he didn't view the Jets as a "rebuilding" project. And in Dallas he had young QBs Drew Henson and Quincy Carter forced on him.

Miami is definantly a "square 1" type project so I think if he likes a QB, he'll take him. I do not consider it a lock that it'll be Matt Ryan though (personnal bias). The possible monkey-wrench in this scenario is Derek Anderson.

2. St. Louis will go Jake Long. This is a "conventional wisdom" pick. Orlando Pace is getting ancient and hasn't been healthy in years. Their offensive line was a disaster this year. They've invested mainly in defense the past couple of years and even though it's still horrible, the o-line has to be addressed.

3. Oakland really, really wishes there was a defensive back worth taking in this spot. Al Davis loves defensive backs and while Nnamdi will get franchised, I doubt Al Davis will shell out the money for the sort of long-term deal Nnamdi will sign (think Charles Woodson who was franchised for like half a decade before they just let him walk). So if a DB starts to make a rapid rise into the top ten Oakland is a threat to go there (Kenny Phillips or Mike Jenkins running a 4.3 in the NFL combine would facilitate this).

4. New York Jets will go defensive line. A NT perhaps? I'm, personally, projecting Sedrick Ellis might be a future 2-gap DT. He's too light to be a NT but that can be remedied. But i'm not an expert and that's an underinformed opinion on my part. Ghoulston maybe a possibility here too.

5. If New England pushes to resign their big contract FA's they'll try hard to trade back here for future draft picks. If they let Moss, Wilson, Samuel, etc walk then they'll stay and look for an impact player, probably on defense.

6. Baltimore. Supposedly they like Boller. I haven't the faintest idea why (hell I like Troy Smith over Boller) but they gave him an extension last year so they may not look for a QB. And they trade for McGahee. WR? DeSean Jackson? They spent a 3rd rounder in the Supplemental for that big Maryland LT to replace Ogden in the future. If Suggs walks in FA Ghoulston would make a lot of sense here too.

I really have no idea which direction Atlanta will go. Who they hire as a coach might help clear that up. They hired the director of college scouting from the Patriots but rumor is McKay still pulls the strings. And Blank is always involved. Way too many variables. McFadden? A QB? Dorsey? :shrug: Kansas City is also a mystrey to me. You look at their season and assume they'll go Offense but their offense just sucked "in general". There's no obvious position, other then QB, and they seem to still like Croyle so :shrug:

Cinncinati maybe blowing their roster up outside of Carson Palmer this offseason which could alter things drastically. If they dump Chad Johnson and Chris Henry Desean Jackson makes a tremendous amount of sense, but their defense is still terrible too, thin at every single position there (like New Orleans Saints bad).

All in all though it strikes me as a defensive heavy Top Ten, which is bad news for the SSF. To make it worse, the offensive players I do see going off are QBs and Jake Long, leaving guys like Desean Jackson or, worse, McFadden/Stewart. We'll probably have to reach for a defensive player like McKelvin or Rodgers-Cromartie.

so without further adieu

1# Miami (1-15)
2# St. Louis (3-13)
3# Atlanta (4-12)#
4# Oakland (4-12)#
5# Kansas City (4-12)#
6# New York Jets (4-12)
8# Baltimore (5-11)
9# Cincinnati (7-9)
10# New Orleans (7-9)

I'll take a shot at it

1. Miami-Chris Long DE-I think the Tuna addresses QB in FA/trade for a Vet. I think they will probably switch to 3-4 on defense, and Dorsey is built for the 4-3

2. STL-Jake Long OT-agree with Spam. Bulger won't make another season getting killed behind that line.

3. ATL-Glenn Dorsey DT-looks like a Defensive coach will get the HC job, and with Gravy leaving mid-season, he'll fit nicely next to Rod Coleman

4. OAK-Sed Ellis DT-natural replacement for Warren Sapp

5. KC-Ryan Clady OT-hired Chan Gailey to help bring along Croyle. Desperate need on O line

6. NYJ-Vernon Gholston DE-OLB-best fit for 3-4, will pass on McFadden due to Thomas Jones

7. NE-Mike Jenkins CB-what do you buy Bill Gates for Christmas? My guess is a replacement for Assante Samuel, but Deshean Jackson wouldn't surprise me one bit

8. BAL-Matt Ryan QB-time for a new QB in Baltimore, and Ryan will probably grade out as the top one in the draft

9. CIN-Kenny Phillips FS-Cincy's defense is just like the Saints-anything will be an upgrade

10- NO-Keith Rivers LB USC-with McFadden still on the board, I got to think the Saints will get plenty of trade offers to move down, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

OnePeat, actually it's more difficult than rocket science, especially before free agency unfolds. It's more like fortune telling, a sort of educated shot-in-the-dark. :hihi:

I would add my ideas, but mine would be more "uneducated shot-in-the-dark" musings than educated ones because I am a terrible draft fortune-teller, especially at this early date.

I'll take a shot at it

1. Miami-Chris Long DE-I think the Tuna addresses QB in FA/trade for a Vet. I think they will probably switch to 3-4 on defense, and Dorsey is built for the 4-3

2. STL-Jake Long OT-agree with Spam. Bulger won't make another season getting killed behind that line.

3. ATL-Glenn Dorsey DT-looks like a Defensive coach will get the HC job, and with Gravy leaving mid-season, he'll fit nicely next to Rod Coleman

4. OAK-Sed Ellis DT-natural replacement for Warren Sapp

5. KC-Ryan Clady OT-hired Chan Gailey to help bring along Croyle. Desperate need on O line

6. NYJ-Vernon Gholston DE-OLB-best fit for 3-4, will pass on McFadden due to Thomas Jones

7. NE-Mike Jenkins CB-what do you buy Bill Gates for Christmas? My guess is a replacement for Assante Samuel, but Deshean Jackson wouldn't surprise me one bit

8. BAL-Matt Ryan QB-time for a new QB in Baltimore, and Ryan will probably grade out as the top one in the draft

9. CIN-Kenny Phillips FS-Cincy's defense is just like the Saints-anything will be an upgrade

10- NO-Keith Rivers LB USC-with McFadden still on the board, I got to think the Saints will get plenty of trade offers to move down, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

At this point, this seems very feasible to me. Sucks to see the two DTs go off the board so early.

As of now I would think that they would love to get Ellis, but chances are that he would be gone by then.

There is still a lot of tape to review but I would not be surprised if it is a guy who can play linebacker (Rivers or Connor) based on need and value . I will not rule out Golston if they think he can play linebacker in a 3-4 formation and blitz from there. Mathias Kiwanuka was doing it in New York and certainly Golston can cover better.

Phillips, I see him as a luxury item, I would not rule him out but I think linebacker may be a better choice at 10.

I agree, free agency will go a long way to shaping the draft.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Atlanta take McFadden to be their "Reggie Bush" to energize the fan base -especially if they hire a former DC as a head coach like Mike Singletary, Rex Ryan or the Giants current DC.

Here are my predictions based on pre-combine rankings:

Miami: Matt Ryan QB -Green will retire and while I expect the Dolphins to bring in a grizzled vet, the rebuilding will begin with a "his" QB -not Beck.

St Louis: Jake Long -I agree the line needs to be rebuilt, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them make an offer for the Jets' Dewayne Robertson to shore up their D-line.

Atlanta -Darren McFadden -the "sexy" pick... plus, he's been arrested already, so he fits right in, LOL!

Oakland: Glenn Dorsey -although Sedrick Ellis would make just as much sense here. The Ray-derz defense was terrible last year, especially along the d-line, so a DT is a must. Also, I wonder what happened to the person who told Al Davis Randy Moss was washed up as a player..

Kansas City: Ryan Clady -Quarterback is a pressing need, as is offensive line. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chiefs make a trade/sign a FA QB, to lessen the need. However, if Brian Brhom (sp) blows away the scouts, he might be the pick here...

NY Jets: Vernon Gholston.. I agree, the Jets are interested in a pass rushing OLB/DE here.. but look for them to try and stockpile draft picks by moving Robertson and Vilma and possibly trading down.

New England: Keith Rivers -the Patriots have shown they can take UDFA and plug them at corner... but their aging linebacker corps needs an injection of youth. Look for Rivers to replace Seau.

Baltimore: QB is the pick, but if both Ryan and Brhom are off the board, the Ravens might be interested in trading down or possibly taking a linebacker to replace Ray Lewis... but with so many underclassmen choosing to stay for their senior year, Dan Connor would be a reach here.

Let's assume Ali Highsmith as an incredible Senior Bowl/combine/pro day shooting his draft stock to top 10 status... he would fit a need for the Ravens. But that's just a homer selection. This pick will obviously change as draft day gets closer.

Cincinatti: the "loser" of the Dorsey/Ellis choice from the Raiders. The Bengals defense regressed from last season, so they need someone to push the pocket.

New Orleans: The Saints fans could be ticked seeing so many of the defensive "needs" going ahead of them, but Kenny Phillips would be a good choice here -an upgrade over Josh Bullocks. But DT is the preferred position. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Saints try and trade up with Baltimore to snatch a DT in front of the Bengals.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Atlanta take McFadden to be their "Reggie Bush" to energize the fan base -especially if they hire a former DC as a head coach like Mike Singletary, Rex Ryan or the Giants current DC.

This makes sense - I can hardly name Falcons players - and we play in their conference. Probably their most popular told our coach he wanted to play for us, so who knows. It would be my pick if I were them probably.

This makes sense - I can hardly name Falcons players - and we play in their conference. Probably their most popular told our coach he wanted to play for us, so who knows. It would be my pick if I were them probably.

the Falcons D is not far away from being really good personnel-wise and with a defensive minded head coach, like one of the Ryan brothers, they could be very strong. DE's John Abraham and last year's first round pick Jamaal Anderson, DT Rod Coleman, LB's Brooking, Boley, and Demorrio Williams, CB Chris Houston and Hall, and S Lawyer Milloy and Jimmy Williams. Another DT and the right coach pushing the buttons and that's a pretty solid D.

Now, their offense is in shambles so McFadden certainly makes sense as well as a QB, but so does LT. Heck, ATL offense is like the Saints defense, anything will be an upgrade. Ultimately, nothing will fill those seats like wins, and let's hope for our sake McKay and Blank don't figure that out

Georgia is a lot like the Atlanta fans' version of LSU with Saints fans. They would love for DJ Shockley to come back healthy next season and battle for the starting job, but McFadden's versitility and potential star power could be ideal for a franchise trying to get past Mike Vick.

Yes, other picks make more sense -like quarterback, LT, D-linemen and so forth, but Blank is very much about getting the "sizzle" for his franchise... since the "hot" coaches have turned him down, he's going to need his draft to get the fan base excited -and you know he's seen the impact Reggie Bush had on the Saints in 2006.

I think STL going with Long is a given, but the real wild cards are MIA, ATL, and NE. They will have a big influence on what we do.

If Ryan is there, I think ATL takes him, and that lets McFadden fall. If McFadden falls, I think we are primed to trade down. Of course that doesn't happen if one of the DTs are still available. If we pass on Ellis/Dorsey we are morons. Playing it out where MIA takes Ryan and ATL takes McFadden, NE becomes the wild card. Do they trade down or do they select Rivers? If they take Rivers, I could see us taking Phillips, but I would prefer we try and move down a bit and go after Flowers, CB VT.

Just looking at what is ahead of us, it appears either McFadden or Jackson will be there and someone will be interested in moving up to nab one of them. If we can't land Ellis or Dorsey, I hope we at least consider moving down. Conner isn't worth the 10 nor or any of the CBs out there IMHO. IF we are in that position, we could move up to steal Dorsey/Ellis.

ps My gut tells me Gholston is gonna be a bust...
pss good thread...

I like Connor more than Rivers. Hopefully if we go LB he's the guy. A tackling machine. And if Highsmith somehow shows up and runs in the 4.5's he's worthy of that spot too. I wonder if the Saints would take a shot at a 3-4 OLB like Gholston if he somehow slips...

I'm anxious to see how Antoine Cason runs. If he's worthy I would love to see the Saints take him. He's the best playmaking CB in the draft hands down. A great KR too. If not I hope it's Talib over Jenkins. But Jenkins is an option there too, as well as Leodis McKelvin

If Sedrick Ellis somehow slips to 10 he's the pick.

Kentwan Balmer could be worthy of that pick after his workouts.

And I know it won't go away but forget about Kenny Phillips at 10. It aint gonna happen.

A lot of great reading in this thread! :beerchug:

I'll post my top 10 picks when we get closer to the draft. I think we are in for a while ride this draft. There really is no certain #1 pick.

My feelings on how things will shake out. The Phins will trade out of the #1 pick. The Cowboys will move up and take McFadden #1. The Raiders are in such a sorry state with Davis wanting to fire his HC once again...who knows which direction they will go. I can't get a feel for who they want. Then we have the Falcons. Do they take one of the top QB prospects to rebuild their team?!?

As for our Saints, I think all the drama with the teams picking above them causes the Saints to keep all their options open right up to the time they are on the clock. I don't see a player there who the Saints fall in love with. My hope is Vernon Gholston falls to #10. I don't think he gets pass the Bengals or Pats. I see the Saints moving down, picking up picks, and eventually selecting Curtis Lofton. He may zoom up the draft charts come draft day and be this years Patrick Willis.

I'm going to watch the Senior Bowl later today and probably change my mind again on who the top players are right after the game. ;)

i hope we shy away from gholston. i dont know what it is, but i think he is gonna be a bust. ellis is a no brainer if he or dorsey is there. i dont think any of us disagree on that. i like highsmith but i wouldnt use the 10 on him. if he is what we want, we should trade down. even though a bunch of LBers stayed in college, there is still some depth there. I want a CB (unless one of the two DT are there) and to be honest, I want flowers. He reminds me a lot of MM. I still wouldnt take flowers at 10 though. good depth at CB and we can move down...

If McFadden drops, as some of you have suggested, we absolutely positively HAVE to trade back with the Cowboys. We could get both their 1sts and maybe even a 3rd rounder. Jerry Jones would spooge himself to make the deal and we could get both a CB and LB in round one and have our high 2nd rounder to pick up a DT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom