OK let's figure out who will be there when we finally pick... (1 Viewer)

this is off topic, but what makes everyone think Dallas will only deal with NO? If McFadden is there from 5 on, do you think that those 4 teams will pass on a chance to get 2 firsts for him?

I found 2 mocks that have the Saints getting Ellis.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2007/mock2229.htm

1. Miami Dolphins
QB Matt Ryan | Boston College

2. St. Louis Rams
OT Jake Long | Michigan

3. Atlanta Falcons
DL Glenn Dorsey | LSU

4. Oakland Raiders
RB Darren McFadden* | Arkansas

5. Kansas City Chiefs
OT Ryan Clady* | Boise State

6. New York Jets
OLB Chris Long | Virginia

7. New England Patriots (from San Francisco)
OLB Vernon Gholston* | Ohio State

8. Baltimore Ravens
CB Leodis McKelvin | Troy

9. Cincinnati Bengals
DE Derrick Harvey* | Florida

10. New Orleans Saints
DT Sedrick Ellis | USC

Ellis could be gone sooner, especially with a weak DL class, but Sean Payton understands the importance of a strong front and will not hesitate to take the best player.

and

http://www.draftdaddy.com/MD/MDstat.cfm

01. Miami Dolphins - QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

Parcells needs a new QB very badly and Matt Ryan is the best of the crop.
==
02. St. Louis Rams - DT Glenn Dorsey, Louisiana State

Taking Dorsey allows Carriker to move outside and strengthens the defensive front at two positions.
==
03.*Oakland Raiders - RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

Al Davis loves gamebreaking speed and McFadden should workout very well.
==
04.*Atlanta Falcons - QB Brian Brohm, Louisville

Patrino may have departed but the Falcons still have to start over at the QB position.
==
05.* Kansas City Chiefs - OT Jake Long, Michigan

The Chiefs offensive line is in shambles, never really replacing left tackle Willie Roaf.
==
06. New York Jets - DE Chris Long, Virginia

Long is a great player but being a labeled a "tweener" could push him out of the top 5.
==
07. New England Patriots - LB Dan Connor, Penn State

The Patriots have a desperate need at inside linebacker, Connor is low risk and high character.
==
08. Baltimore Ravens - DE Derrick Harvey, Florida

The Ravens will likely need a pass rusher to replace Suggs, Harvey is underrated now, but just wait.
==
09. Cincinnati Bengals - DE Vernon Gholston, Ohio State

Justin Smith likely will leave in free agency and the Bengals would love to tab this edge rusher to replace him.
==
10. New Orleans Saints - DT Sedrick Ellis, Southern California

The Saints need to get stouter up front and Ellis fits their scheme well.
==

if mcfadden is there with our tenth pick does anybody think we could get their 28th pick plus bradie james instead of the other first?

You can't really say who will go where. 1st round mock drafts are very rarely 50% accurate even up to the day of the draft. You can probably count on Ellis, Dorsey, Gholston, Jake Long, Chris Long and McFadden all being gone, but that's a big probably. Miami alone is a tough pick to project: I could see them taking Ryan, Ellis, Dorsey, Gholston, McFadden or Chris Long. Even Jake Long isn't unthinkable, although I'd be surprised. Then again, I could see scenarios where Darren McFadden and Matt Ryan are both on the board at #10.

At this time, I'd guess Talib, Phillips, DeSean Jackson, Rivers, Lofton, Reggie Smith and maybe even Cromartie, if he continues to show up at workouts, are on the radar.

I think Miami will take a DT first, Crable in the second and if they have no faith in Beck, take Henne/Ainge/or Booty in the third.

Beck is no franchise QB so MIA has to pick up a QB somewhere

Started a new post but didn't see this one already with similar topic so I'll reply it here as well. Mods can delete other if they wish.

Now, I don't necessarily agree with the ratings below but one thing for certain is we will have the opportunity to select two of these players. One thing that seems certain is that there is no corner worth the #10 pick and this is one of our largest needs. So unless we happen to trade down which many have outlined then I believe that we will be selecting a LB'er in round one. I just don't see Dorsey or Ellis falling to us or we would most certainly select one of them. So, to me, the only worthy LB'er worth the #10 pick seems to be Rivers....who I have to admit I wasn't that impressed with during the Senior Bowl. He seemed to try quite a few arm tackles and didn't appear physical enough to play MLB for my taste. Of course, this is an exhibition game and I'm sure his stock is pretty high whether he was the MVP or not so that may be part of it as well. So, is it that easy......could I have finally figured out a Saints draft? Rivers is our guy? I've never been right before so don't count on it.

After drafting Rivers we have improved our D if only by removing Simoneau from the field of play and into a reserve role if he is still retained. If we are unable to sign Briggs or another starting LB'er then I assume we will role with Rivers or Shanle in the middle while the other mans the outside.

So, this brings us to the second round. D still needs some work and the positions of need are still the same LB'er, DT and CB. While I would love for Lofton to be there and us take him I'm not sure he will be there and then I can't see us taking back to back LB'ers after selecting Rivers even though it may be BPA. So, I see us going CB.....this position has become the prima donna position in the NFL and I don't think the Saints are going to want to throw a ton of money at a top FA so they will re-build through the draft. Seems as though Cromartie played his way into the first round Saturday so he likely won't make it this far. I think they will lean toward a big physical corner which will be Reggie Smith, Terrell Thomas or Cason....whoever grades out better in the combine and is available for our #2.

Just some thoughts on the first couple of rounds for others to comment on. Thanks.

Rank Rating Name

RB 1 Darren McFadden
DE 2 Chris Long
DT 3 Glenn Dorsey
DT 4 Sedrick Ellis
OT 5 Jake Long
DE 6 Calais Campbell
S 7 Kenny Phillips
CB 8 Mike Jenkins
OLB 9 Dan Connor
RB 10 Jonathan Stewart
MLB 11 Keith Rivers
WR 12 James Hardy
QB 13 Matt Ryan
WR 14 Malcolm Kelly
DE 15 Quentin Groves
CB 16 Aqib Talib
OT 17 Chris Williams
RB 18 Jamaal Charles
OT 19 Ryan Clady
DE 20 Vernon Gholston
WR 21 Early Doucet
TE 22 Fred Davis
QB 23 Joe Flacco
CB 24 Leodis McKelvin
RB 25 Felix Jones
RB 26 Rashard Mendenhall
OT 27 Jeff Otah
WR 28 DeSean Jackson
WR 29 Mario Manningham
QB 30 Brian Brohm
WR 31 Adarius Bowman
S 32 Reggie Smith
DT 33 Kentwan Balmer
CB 34 Terrell Thomas
DE 35 Chris Ellis
WR 36 Donnie Avery
DE 37 Derrick Harvey
OG 38 Oniel Cousins
MLB 39 Beau Bell
TE 40 Martellus Bennett
QB 41 Andre Woodson
CB 42 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
WR 43 Harry Douglas
DE 44 Lawrence Jackson
OLB 45 Curtis Lofton
RB 46 Steve Slaton
OLB 47 Xavier Adibi
OT 48 Carl Nicks
WR 49 Devin Thomas
DT 50 Pat Sims

if its rivers, lets trade down dammit. rivers doesnt do it for me at all. i would rather move down and look at CB or target another LB (highsmith)...

If McFadden drops, as some of you have suggested, we absolutely positively HAVE to trade back with the Cowboys. We could get both their 1sts and maybe even a 3rd rounder. Jerry Jones would spooge himself to make the deal and we could get both a CB and LB in round one and have our high 2nd rounder to pick up a DT.

this is my ideal scenario. trade down. get 3-4 solid DEF picks out of the top 50 players. come back with a young DEF with something to prove in '08. sweet boobies let mcfadden fall to 10! - although, we would probably just draft him just to make me cry.

I think it's kinda funny how everyone puts Atlanta in there at the # 3 pick. Atlanta is snake-bitten right now, and I think it's just as (if not more) likely that they'll end up at # 5. The coin flips haven't even happened yet. Those 3 picks, and how they shake out between Atl., Oak., and K.C. will really have a huge impact on the top 10.

I think Atl. loses both coin flips and ends up at # 5. Oak. at # 3 and K.C. at # 4.

1. Miami - Trades the pick straight up for Derek Anderson. Cleveland comes in and grabs McFadden.

2. St. Louis - Jake Long, OT, Michigan

3. Oakland - Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

4. Kansas City - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

5. Atlanta - Matt Ryan, QB, BC

6. NY Jets - Chris Long, DE, Virginia

7. N.E. - Keith Rivers, LB, USC

8. Baltimore - Vernon Gholston, DE/LB, Ohio St.

9. Cincy - ???

I think it's kinda funny how everyone puts Atlanta in there at the # 3 pick. Atlanta is snake-bitten right now, and I think it's just as (if not more) likely that they'll end up at # 5. The coin flips haven't even happened yet. Those 3 picks, and how they shake out between Atl., Oak., and K.C. will really have a huge impact on the top 10.

I think Atl. loses both coin flips and ends up at # 5. Oak. at # 3 and K.C. at # 4.

1. Miami - Trades the pick straight up for Derek Anderson. Cleveland comes in and grabs McFadden.

9. Cincy - ???

I think it's kind of funny you are predicting coin flips based on some sort pre-disposition :)

I think it's kind of funny you are predicting coin flips based on some sort pre-disposition :)

I think it's funny how almost every single mock draft has Atlanta picking # 3. I'll tell you what... most Falcons fans around here think they'll pick at 5.

None of these players would surprise or disappoint me if they were still available at pick No. 8-14

RB 1 Darren McFadden (a "defensive" player!)
DE 2 Chris Long
DT 3 Glenn Dorsey
DT 4 Sedrick Ellis
OT 5 Jake Long
DE 6 Calais Campbell
S 7 Kenny Phillips
CB 8 Mike Jenkins
OLB 9 Dan Connor (on a trade down)
RB 10 Jonathan Stewart (on a trade down)
MLB 11 Keith Rivers
CB 16 Aqib Talib (on a trade down)
CB 42 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (on a trade down)

Last edited:

9. Cincy - ???

Let me finish this off...

9. Cincy - Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami

10. SAINTS - If it works out like I have it above... I'll be hoping for Dan Conner or even Curtis Lofton here, but the chance to grab their highest rated CB on the board may be too much to pass up here for the Saints. Just, for the love of GAWD, don't pick freakin' Ballmer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom