ok,looking to make new orleans my home base....... (2 Viewers)

Mid-city area is nice too. Many little restaurants are back and a lot of the people are back in. Look around the Carrolton and Canal area.

Warehouse District? Lots of condos there. IIRC, they were about $100,000 - $250,000 when I lived there. I left in 2001.

I would second this recommendation. The WD has some great condos, and from what I've seen they seem pretty affordable- plus, the location is second to none IMO; you're steps from the Quarter without all the noise and tourists, plus you're thisclose to the CBD and Uptown...

Warehouse District is very nice if you are looking for a good night life. I have a few buddies who live there around Lucy's and they love it. They are single.....

FQ would be fine too but it isn't nearly as convenient as the Warehouse District

Mid City, IMO, would only be on your radar if you like "funky" and I mean "funky" in a good way. Like Jazz Fest, whole-in-the-wall restaraunts and chicks who only where sandals.

You live in NYC and you think $300 sq. ft. is expensive?? :scratch:

Yeah, I know, but I was referring to the the massive increase per sq ft in NOLA. I knew the WD was up and coming, but woo doggy.

Actually, there are many a co-op that go for that price around here actually. Not IN Manhattan, but close enough.

Warehouse District is very nice if you are looking for a good night life. I have a few buddies who live there around Lucy's and they love it. They are single.....

FQ would be fine too but it isn't nearly as convenient as the Warehouse District

Mid City, IMO, would only be on your radar if you like "funky" and I mean "funky" in a good way. Like Jazz Fest, whole-in-the-wall restaraunts and chicks who only where sandals.

ONLY sandals??!! I'm down... :ezbill:

Definitely take a look at the Warehouse District. Look up the Cotton Mill Condos, and Julia Place. This all depends on how much you're looking to spend obviously. A 1 bedroom goes for about 175k I think at cotton mill and 200k at julia place.

The warehouse district if trump and tracage go up is about to go boom in a good way.

Some nice Condos in Lakeview are available in that price range. Near to City Park and the Lake. Great for running or biking. Also about 15 minutes to the Quarter or Uptown. Good restaurants as well.

Yeah, check out Lakeview. About as safe as it can possibly get for New Orleans, and "reasonably" priced....

I don't usually advocate condos, but every person has his reason for wanting one. Can't go wrong with most of the stuff in the Warehouse District. I'd suggest Julia Place, personally... but it's the only one I've been in so keep that in mind.

Need much more information on what you are looking for.

If you want good schools, fairly stable home values, reasonable prices, very low crime, no lingering impact from Katrina, a pretty content population base, and a government that doesn't make you pull your hair out, Mandeville has alot to offer. You can get a nice condo in Mandeville for well under $200,000, decent ones starting in the low $100,000. However, you are 24 miles way from the southshore, a good 45-50 minute ride away from New Orleans, and it isn't that exciting. It is mainly families and doesn't cater to young single people, although that is improving a bit. The drive can be even longer during rush hour, fog, accidents, etc. ( I work over here so I don't do the commute.)

The flip side is New Olreans. It is exciting ,with lots of restaurants, young adults, things to do, and more likley closer to where you will work. It has bad schools (overall), bad crime, bad roads, poor government leadership,lingering effects from Katrina, and housing prices that are much more speculative and subject to change. It is convenient to most fun things to do. Nicer parts can be expensive and less expensive areas are usualy bad neighborhoods.

Metairie is the large, popular suburb right next to New Olreans, which is somewhat of mixed bad. It is far safer than New Orleans for crime, but crime has been on the increase since Katrina. It schools really aren't that good and many send their kids to Catholic schools in New Orleans. (In fact, the public magnet schools in New Olreans, Ben Franklin, Lusher, are the some of the best schools in the State, but it is feast or famine --a few great school and all the rest stink.) Metairie doesn't have much in magnet schools, so, for some, it schools can be worse than New Orleans. Parts of Metairie, such as Old Metairie are some of the nicest and most expensive places live in the whole area. Other parts are cookie cutter houses, small lots, no charm, not that expensive, and a bit farther out. It has lots of chain restaurants and stores, and where most shop. It can be anywhere from a 15 minute to 30 minte ride to downtown New Orleans, depending on what part and traffic.

I realize you don't have kids, but schools, crime,etc., all affect real estate prices, the risk of your investment, the likelhood the condo units may deteriorate,etc. For example, way back when, many people lived in New Orleans East before it deteriated and some condo units became section 8 housing, and lost almost all value.

I used to live in Lakeview in New Orleans, but its is only slowly progressing and investment in the area might be somewhat speculative, and, in the meantime, it is kind of depressing.

If you can afford the French Quarter, there are some opportunities to consider. The French Quarter is a whole other world, with intrinsic national value, that competes on a more national basis for its market value. Although the warehouse was an up and coming area at one time, it has gotten more and more expensive, and it seems like it is now priced where paying a bit more to actually be in the Quarter might be a better investment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom