ok no more hate thread. (1 Viewer)

Taking some comments to heart isn't a wise idea in an internet forum. For the most part, we're all intelligent and mature enough to carry out meaningful subjects, but there are certain subjects that incite a riot no matter what was said or meant.

Not because I am scared to absorb the backlash or anything, but I avoid certain subjects because ANYTHING can and will be taken out of context and you get people cherrypicking you to death in a contfrontational manner which has no ending.

Are we talking spinners and curb feelers here? I thought the thread turned into a solar energy discussion and went to bed. Did it go back in the ditch as I can't find it now.

And for the record Stereotype isn't Racisim...at least in my book.

Are we talking spinners and curb feelers here? I thought the thread turned into a solar energy discussion and went to bed. Did it go back in the ditch as I can't find it now.

And for the record Stereotype isn't Racisim...at least in my book.

Well that all depends on the whether you are using a positive or negative stereotype and in what context. The biggest problem with the use of stereotypes is it completely strips the individual who this stereotype is being applied to of their individuality. Not much more one can do to make a person not a person.

Pretty sure this is a racist stereotype picture :shrug:

734px-Virginia_Minstrels%2C_1843.jpg

I see nothing wrong with this. It is white folks in black face doing early theater. Later black folks did it themselves. It is entertainment. Nothing more nothing less.

It happens both ways...honky, whitebread etc, etc.

Now what I will say is if someone is denied opportunity based on race that is dead wrong.

I see nothing wrong with this. It is white folks in black face doing early theater. Later black folks did it themselves. It is entertainment. Nothing more nothing less.

It happens both ways...honky, whitebread etc, etc.

Now what I will say is if someone is denied opportunity based on race that is dead wrong.

I really, really encourage you to read up on the era of Jim Crow and/or the history of black minstrely in the United States to understand the obvious racial connotations.

I really, really encourage you to read up on the era of Jim Crow and/or the history of black minstrely in the United States to understand the obvious racial connotations.

I have but not recently. No where in here am I saying this is great theater, great enterntainment that I would pay my hard dollars for. I am simply looking at this at face value. This is entertainment plain and simple. OK poor tase in entertainment but it happens.

Here is what I will agree with all of you on. This definition below is something we should ALL follow to try and adhere to. No where in here does it say a person can't be the subject of a joke or entertainment.

[edit] Legal definition

According to UN International Conventions, "the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life." <SUP class=reference id=_ref-0>[1]</SUP> This definition does not make any difference between prosecutions based on ethnicity and race, in part because the distinction between the ethnicity and race remains debatable among anthropologists<SUP class=reference id=_ref-1>[2]</SUP> According to British law, racial group means "any group of people who are defined by reference to their race, colour, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origin".<SUP class=reference id=_ref-2>[3]</SUP>

I am simply looking at this at face value.

You have recently read about it? Then you should know that black mistrelsy was done part in parcel to mock, make fun of, and spread racist sentiment through humor.

The purpose of all entertainment can include a lot ideas which aren't so appealing now, which were then, including racism.. That's my point. The Simpsons, Family Guy, pick any other form of entertainment and it's based on social commentary. You just can't argue that "it's just entertainment." Yes its entertainment which fed off of a particulary virelent form of racism.

And racial discrimination really doesn't have anything to do with the obvious racial connotations of the history of racial humor in the United States.

I'd say the excessively pronounced facial features in the picture alone is enough to get someone fired up.

You have recently read about it? Then you should know that black mistrelsy was done part in parcel to mock, make fun of, and spread racist sentiment through humor.

The purpose of all entertainment can include a lot ideas which aren't so appealing now, which were then, including racism.. That's my point. The Simpsons, Family Guy, pick any other form of entertainment and it's based on social commentary. You just can't argue that "it's just entertainment." Yes its entertainment which fed off of a particulary virelent form of racism.

And racial discrimination really doesn't have anything to do with the obvious racial connotations of the history of racial humor in the United States.

So how do you feel about the folks of color doing black (face) minstrelsy? Both black and white performers entertained to the delight of all colors. You obviously know this. So how could this be?

My main problem with this is that too many people are quick to play the racism card. Oppression is the thing that needs to go away...not laughter and comedy.

And oh yeah - curb feelers on the presidential limo is funny and in no way oppresses anyone including the current candidate for the highest office in the land.

So how do you feel about the folks of color doing black (face) minstrelsy? Both black and white performers entertained to the delight of all colors. You obviously know this. So how could this be?

My main problem with this is that too many people are quick to play the racism card. Oppression is the thing that needs to go away...not laughter and comedy.

And oh yeah - curb feelers on the presidential limo is funny and in no way oppresses anyone including the current candidate for the highest office in the land.

i feel like they did that because that was the only work they could get being an actor or entertainer...they had to feed their famlies...i think they would have rather not done this and would rather had done something fullfilling but had no other choices...they had to do it so others could do better things in the future...kinda like when jackie robinson came into mlb...do you think he enjoyed having to go through the idignities that he went through or would he have just liked to play baseball like all the white folk where...he had to do it so others could follow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom