OK...which mentality to you prefer (2 Viewers)

cki3915

Reaction score
People upset at the Briggs situation...ponder this...which mentality do you prefer:

The go out and get a FA for the sake of getting a FA....

example..Bucs...making Jeff Faine...JEFF FAINE...the hightest paid center in NFL history.

or...

The lets not overpay no matter who is involved....

example...Saints and apparently 30 other teams in the Lance Briggs deal.

Personally, i'd rather miss out on a potential good player because he is more expensive than he is worth than overpaying for the sake of making a move.

Some people are trying to build a Madden depth chart....on every team there is a star or stars, and on every team there are role player or players...right now we have Shanle, Vilma and Fujita....sure having Briggs, Vilma and Fujita sounds nice, but MLB was a need position not Weakside, Shanle had a terrible year last year, but not as bad as the production from the MLB position...you cant fix all the problems in one offseason, we have two solid linebackers which should make up for the only having one solid linebacker last year (sounds like an improvement to me)

I agree with you

People upset at the Briggs situation...ponder this...which mentality do you prefer:

The go out and get a FA for the sake of getting a FA....

example..Bucs...making Jeff Faine...JEFF FAINE...the hightest paid center in NFL history.

or...

The lets not overpay no matter who is involved....

example...Saints and apparently 30 other teams in the Lance Briggs deal.

Personally, i'd rather miss out on a potential good player because he is more expensive than he is worth than overpaying for the sake of making a move.

I totally agree with you on this, If most of the people on here were GM's we would never have money because they would just give any good named player anything they want to sign them. you can't sign every good player and give them all good contracts and keep your owne.

I believe with cutting Brian Simmons we paid him $3.8m for a year of inactivity whereby he couldn't beat out the worst starting MLB in the NFL. If Briggs had signed an $70m 6 year deal with $25m guaranteed I think everyone could see it was a wise move to pass. When the guy only picks up $36m over six years with $12m guaranteed I can see why people are questioning it. I have advocated not going after linebackers in free agency as you can draft a rookie who can make an immediate impact. But all it took was $6m a year with the cap space we have and all the other top tier free agents off the market, for the best 4-3 weakside linebacker at the peak of his powers for the next 3 years. I don't understand it. If they wanted to go cheap Kiwika Mitchell would have been a major upgrade over Shanle. He signed a $17.5m 5 year deal. People can point to the Giants winning the superbowl without a free agency splash. Last time I checked they went out aggressively and signed Plaxico Burress and Antonio Pierce, 2 of their biggest playmakers on their team previous years. They also had a draft for the ages where every rookie contributed. Draft picks from other years stepped up like Cory Webster and Justin Tuck which couldn't have been banked on. The Saints need an A+ 08 draft and hope the washout 07 draft can come good. Otherwise the FO is going to look foolish and jobs will be on the line

The teams that have tried to build through free agency never seem to make any great success. The Giants are usually pretty quiet in free agency, as are the Patriots. Sure they will sign a role player to fill in depth, but they never overpay. Two years ago in the SuperBowl, the Colts and Bears are another two teams that hardly use the free agency system. Pittsburgh for years has been successful, and they draft the majority of their players also.

Now look at which teams usually spend big money. Washington, Oakland, Dallas and last year San Francisco. What do these teams accomplish year in and year out?

Thats why I don't get too concerned about the beginning of free agency.

The teams that have tried to build through free agency never seem to make any great success. The Giants are usually pretty quiet in free agency, as are the Patriots. Sure they will sign a role player to fill in depth, but they never overpay. Two years ago in the SuperBowl, the Colts and Bears are another two teams that hardly use the free agency system. Pittsburgh for years has been successful, and they draft the majority of their players also.

Now look at which teams usually spend big money. Washington, Oakland, Dallas and last year San Francisco. What do these teams accomplish year in and year out?

Thats why I don't get too concerned about the beginning of free agency.

Very good points.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom