Okay, I'm upset: "Endymion ordered to parade uptown" (1 Viewer)

dajmno

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Endymion ordered to parade Uptown
By Gwen Filosa
Staff writer

The Krewe of Endymion has no choice but to parade Uptown in 2007 and not its original Mid-City route, the New Orleans Police Department told the Carnival organization Tuesday.

"The last we’ve heard is we’re going back Uptown," said Ed Muniz, Endymion’s krewe captain and Mayor of Kenner. "Endymion has no control where Endymion goes."

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/tpupda...ola_tpupdates/archives/2006_10_31.html#199919

How do Tucks and Iris get their way over a super-crew?! I guess you would have had to grown up in Mid-City to really understand how much Endymion means to the area.

Blasphemous.

I don't get Nagin. Uptown will by far get it's fair share of parading, why not make a symbolic gesture, and help bring some business and foot traffic to the streets or Orleans, N. Carrollton and Canal? Sure, realistically it probably won't have a major impact on the area economically, but it's a start, or at the least, a nice gesture.

Iris? Iris? Iris? Have you ever been to that parade?! You're asleep on the neutral ground by the time it's over.

I don't get Nagin. Uptown will by far get it's fair share of parading, why not make a symbolic gesture, and help bring some business and foot traffic to the streets or Orleans, N. Carrollton and Canal? Sure, realistically it probably won't have a major impact on the area economically, but it's a start, or at the least, a nice gesture.

Iris? Iris? Iris? Have you ever been to that parade?! You're asleep on the neutral ground by the time it's over.

I think it has a lot to do with the idea of the police trying to patrol 2 Super Krewes in different parts of town on the same day.

I think it has a lot to do with the idea of the police trying to patrol 2 Super Krewes in different parts of town on the same day.

I imagine it does also but I do agree that it would be a nice symbol. Everyone knows uptown is back, and frankly it never really left. No surprise there, but it would be nice to throw the people of mid-city a bone. Endymion means more to mid-city folks than most people know. It was our Mardi Gras calling card. I've had a huge gathering at my house during Endymion for the past 15 years.

Mid-city is struggling to get back (Brocato's is open!!) and its a long haul. Endymion wouldn't bring it back, but it sure wouldn't hurt.

Not to be picky, but neither Tucks nor Iris is a Super Krewe. NOPD is just too understaffed to do two routes on the same day.

It'll be nice when Endymion is back in Mid-City, but I certainly don't miss the huge rush-over-there-only-to-not-find-a-parking-spot-after-you're-drunk-then-can't-find-a -spot-to-watch-b/c-everybody-else-has-been-out-there-since-Thursday.

Not to be picky, but neither Tucks nor Iris is a Super Krewe. NOPD is just too understaffed to do two routes on the same day.

It'll be nice when Endymion is back in Mid-City, but I certainly don't miss the huge rush-over-there-only-to-not-find-a-parking-spot-after-you're-drunk-then-can't-find-a -spot-to-watch-b/c-everybody-else-has-been-out-there-since-Thursday.

You're right. I was thinking of last year when they rolled with Bacchus. My bad. I'm new to NOLA. Though I think I'll be here for a while. :)

I'm upset, as well. I live Uptown, and I love Mardi Gras, but, traditionally, Saturday night is a time for us to catch our breath and clean-up a little before the last bang. We had over 60 people arrested last year for urinating in our yard during Endymion. It is a bit much for us Uptown, and the sooner the parade returns to Mid-City, the better, for many of us Uptown. Don't get me wrong, I love Endymion and I usually watch Endymion, but, it is nice to have it in another part of the City.

You're right. I was thinking of last year when they rolled with Bacchus. My bad. I'm new to NOLA. Though I think I'll be here for a while. :)
A good buddy of mine moved right around the corner from y'all, so hopefully we can meet up this year for a parade or two.

alon504 said:
We had over 60 people arrested last year for urinating in our yard during Endymion.
How big is your yard?

:shrug:

It is the lack of police. The police force is 300 cops down after the storm. I heard yesterday on WWL that the city made Endymion roll in Uptown this year because they can't spare the cops. I have a feeling that this years Carnival is going to be huge as well.

As an Uptowner, I liked the break. Since Endymion has rolled in Uptown, I am so wasted and tired by MG day I stay in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom