OKC Patch (1 Viewer)

The fact remains that NO lost a basketball team previously they couldnot or wouldnot support. The attendance was terrible Pre-K.
It's fitting that you have a quote about revisionist history in your signature - the Jazz were supported quite nicely, thank you very much. I suggest you beef up on New Orleans Jazz history before giving your opinion on the issue.

As for Pre-Katrina attendance... Do you mean the year they won 18 games with Dan Dickau, Lee Nailon and Matt Frieje as starters?

When the Hornets return, I expect them to make a big deal out of it and to make the team seem more like a New Orleans team than they had in the past. I expect local investors to buy part of the team and for the team to take on a more distinctively New Orleans feeling.

I expect them to make a big deal out of it and to make the team seem more like a New Orleans team than they had in the past. I expect local investors to buy part of the team and for the team to take on a more distinctively New Orleans feeling.

You except a lot. Try not to be disappointed.

Check the attendance numbers after the first year. Even the playoff years. Go ahead.

The Hornets will go back to NO in 2007 and Clay Bennett has an ultimatum with Stern's blessing to move Seattle to OKC in 2010 should the Seattle suburbs refuse to subsidize them.

Sorry Stunpals but your previous logic is flawed.

Yous said to look at the pre-K years. You neglected to mention that it was a 18 win season you are refering to. Point out a 3-13 Saints season and you will see a decline in numbers, too.

During their playoff years the attendance was great.

As Taceo already stated.

Sorry Stunpals but your previous logic is flawed.

Yous said to look at the pre-K years. You neglected to mention that it was a 18 win season you are refering to. Point out a 3-13 Saints season and you will see a decline in numbers, too.

During their playoff years the attendance was great.

As Taceo already stated.

check the attendance during the playoff run. They didn't sell out the home playoff games... whatever... The Hornets are coming back to NO but I just don't see what it matters to most... Get upset about something else... We're talking about a patch... why does this hurt your feelings?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance?year=2005

dead last

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance?year=2004

second to last

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance?year=2003

a respectible 19th

Now- during the playoff run...

New Orleans is known as a last-minute town, and tickets were available for the first ever NBA playoff game here right up to tipoff. The game ultimately was announced as a standing-room-only sellout of 17,320. ...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=230426003

After selling out Game 3 Saturday night, the Hornets fell short of a sellout for Game 4. Paid attendance was 16,243. A sellout at New Orleans Arena is 17,200.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=230428003

Again... I don't care... you can have them... OKC will get tired of attending NBA games soon enough... plus... we'll probably be saddle with the Sonics before long...

I just find it humorus how people in NO get all upset about something like this... I mean... I get the Saints... they've a HUGE part of NO for as long as I can remember... the Hornets? eh... you can have them.

After selling out Game 3 Saturday night, the Hornets fell short of a sellout for Game 4. Paid attendance was 16,243. A sellout at New Orleans Arena is 17,200.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=230428003
Again, thats perfectly normal in the NBA. Check out Boston (among others) the same way you're checking out New Orleans. Although OKC Celtics does have a groovy ring to it.

I just find it humorus how people in NO get all upset about something like this... I mean... I get the Saints... they've a HUGE part of NO for as long as I can remember... the Hornets? eh... you can have them.
I'm glad you find humor in the plight of New Orleans' professional basketball team. At least now it makes sense... considering New Orleans can only support one professional sports team and you've picked the Saints it only makes sense that you'd have to lash out. Please notice that my tounge is firmly planted into my cheek.

Hey stunpals, were you at the game Tuesday? How was that attendance? Sounded like you could hear a pin drop on TV...and there were entire unsold sections upstairs. Looks like OKC's corporate give aways aren't good enough to prop up their "outstanding support" of just a year ago.

Not that any of this is a surprise...I mean we're talking about a town that looks up to Tulsa.

Hornets need to fully return to new orleans, mostly to help the small businesses out, they bring alot of home games, and with those home games come alot of hotel stay's and constant Tourist, OKC is enjoying Those millions of dollars that could be pouring into New Orleans right now, So sad to see this happening.

I mean we're talking about a town that looks up to Tulsa.

Pullleeeeezzzz... Is there basketball in OKC.. I didn;t know... I am trying to find tickets to the Saints/Panther game in the dome...

Last year the people were excited... I have only heard Hornets once this year... It is in my heart that I wish the Hornets to go home and OKC to start fresh... But only if we can even support a team at all...and I wonder if maybe it wasn;t just a new craze... But I think it will carry some weight... Depending on OU and OSU throwing up a road block.

Too much going on now with the holidays and this crazy weather...

Hornets Geaux Home.

Joe

Joe, I feel like your sentiments reflect the majority of the OKC folks (and I know you've said as much in the past). It just strikes me as pretty offensive & frankly disgusting the way that some folks try to justify looting our team. It's no different than the folks from SA trying to do it with the Saints, and that is pretty painfully obvious.

Here's the bottom line:

1) Without Katrina, the Hornets wouldn't have gone to OKC
2) There was no speculation about the team going anywhere prior to Katrina, regardless of attendance at the New Orleans Arena
3) OKC has gotten, out of the Katrina experience, an unprecedented chance to 'prove themselves' as a sports market for leagues like the NHL & NBA
4) All the sellouts and hoopla made about last season (mostly by the propaganda artists at the Oklahoman) is starting to show itself for what it really is
5) If anyone thinks for a minute that OKC is a more profittable market than Seattle, think again. If you think that Clayton Bennett has a heart of gold and is intent on moving a team to OKC, no matter what, think again. He's going to do his damndest to see that a deal gets done in Washington (most likely the suburban stadium) b/c that's where he'll be able to maximize profits on his group's investment. He knows what many around the NBA are finding out this season: corporations aren't going to buy up huge blocks of tickets every year. It was a one shot deal last season (or so they thought) to sell their market as NBA ready.

Joe, I feel like your sentiments reflect the majority of the OKC folks (and I know you've said as much in the past). It just strikes me as pretty offensive & frankly disgusting the way that some folks try to justify looting our team. It's no different than the folks from SA trying to do it with the Saints, and that is pretty painfully obvious.

I cannot deny any of this and I understand your stand on the subject...

My friend came over and I asked her this question.. She is more in tune with the political scene here. This is her reply...

"It is good that we have a Pro Basketball team if we can continue to support them. We did what we could, we gave them a place to be, but the Hornets need to go home. They do not belong here. They are not ours."

This is gonna sound goofy, but I would like to try and relay how I.. a simple man in OKC feels... Having the hornets here and all this drama.. Reminds me of getting a plate of leftover thanksgiving dinner from a stranger... instead of carving the turkey with friends and family... Does that make any sense?

What my politcians do.. Well let me know... and I'll vote dem SOB's out of office... I'm an American!

Word

Joe

Last edited:
Sadly, the market for an NBA team is just not here in New Orleans anymore. I don't think there's any question that the city can support The Saints forever now, and selling out 8-10 home games per season ain't no thang, but when you're talking about having solid attendance at ~40 home games per season, its a WHOLE different story. If The Hornets even come back to NO at all, I wouldn't expect them to be here too much longer.

That said, **** Oklahoma City and the way they have treated the city of New Orleans through this entire thing. Turning on the TV and seeing the Hornets wearing Oklahoma City jerseys makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little. those ignorant bible-thumping, radical right plains-dwellers can keep their little culture-less hellhole of a booger-smear on the map.

Oh, and by the way, have fun with The Oklahoma SuperSonics...we'll see how long that one lasts. At least the city of New Orleans can pull in pro franchises without having to pillage them from other cities in a time of vulnerability.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom