OL Help (1 Viewer)

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
While I understand that we need a lot of help on D, our success starts with Drew. Bushrod was overrated and we are not any better on the right. Im tired of having to break up the route running timing of RBs and TEs because they have to chip on the edges against any decent D we playI think we should go after Max Starks. He played every game for the steelers last year and if you can block for Rothlesburger and his 7 second drop backs then you can easily help out Brees with his quick release. I would also reach out to Eric Winston (RT) as I think both these guys would be relatively cheap for tackles and are very good. The money can be found if loomis wants it.

defense wise, I think the only thing missing between being 32 on Defense and top 20 is all about the turnovers. Our D wasn't great when we won the SB but our turnover ratio was. We need a ball hawk safety in free agency. Reed or Woodson wood work fine.

We can walk away with Starks and Reed, we could do the rest in the draft.
Thoughts?

Starks was the only player for the Steelers to play every offensive snap last year.

Steelers Free Agent T Max Starks Earned Performance-based Pay Benefit For 2012 | Steelers Depot

The Steelers are not expected to re-sign impending free agent LT Max Starks.
Starks, 31, was the only Steelers' lineman to play every 2012 snap, and he was arguably the team's best blocker up front. However, OC Todd Haley and new OL coach Jack Bicknell Jr. want linemen who can move and run, not immovable maulers. Starks is a massive 6-foot-8 and 345 pounds, so he certainly doesn't fit that description. Marcus Gilbert is expected to shift to left tackle. Feb 10 - 10:25 AM

Don't know if we're looking for linemen who aren't exactly mobile though.

Starks doesn't really fit our profile. He'd get lost with our screen game.

Starks looked bad last year he constantly got burned by speed rushers, and as much as Bush rod is bashed he was still noticably better than Starks. The Steelers Online was the main reason they struggled last year. Reed is asking for 6mil a year so that's not going to happen either.

I'm shocked that nobody has made a move on Winston yet.

I'm shocked that nobody has made a move on Winston yet.

I really wonder if he could play LT for us? I know he has never played LT as a pro but he did in college at the U.

He's a former TE and put up some impressive numbers at the combine so he is pretty athletic. One would think that he should be able to play LT due to Drew's quick release? I know a lot of SR thought Bushrod's true position was RT and he did well enough at LT.

He and Vollmer are they only "names" remaining and Winston seems to have a better record of staying healthy. If nothing else, he would sure up RT and we could shift our help to LT, knowing that Winston can handle things one on one.

I really wonder if he could play LT for us? I know he has never played LT as a pro but he did in college at the U.

He's a former TE and put up some impressive numbers at the combine so he is pretty athletic. One would think that he should be able to play LT due to Drew's quick release? I know a lot of SR thought Bushrod's true position was RT and he did well enough at LT.

He and Vollmer are they only "names" remaining and Winston seems to have a better record of staying healthy. If nothing else, he would sure up RT and we could shift our help to LT, knowing that Winston can handle things one on one.

You make some good points, Winston is athletic and the perfect kind of fit for our scheme. Like you said, if anything he improves us at RT and we can focus on getting a LT via draft or something-

I like Winston....I've always considered him a pretty good tackle

...but I'm afraid of a guy that has only played in a zone blocking scheme

I haven't seen him man up enough to pass judgement on him

He's got the size and the speed, but how's his drop step? How's his overall footwork? Can he pin a guy to his chest and move him? These are things I haven't seen enough of

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom