Analysis Olave's 52-yard TD - How he beat Jalen Ramsey (1 Viewer)

It was pretty impressive. Also impressive was Dalton getting that pass in stride despite getting blown up. He really didn't have much time to wait on that play. The pressure was there out the gate!

Ramsey is one of the best CBs in the game and Olave made him look like Chris Harris Jr on that play. I can only imagine how this board would be if that was Lattimore?!

Of course there is. We traded #16 a 3rd and a 4th for Olave. We had #18 had we not made the Eagles trade we probably would have had to give #18 and 2 3rd rd picks which we would have had if we didn't make the Eagles trade the eagles trade is much more about Penning than Olave

Doesn't really matter if it was more Olave or Penning.

The tackle class this year isn't all that impressive. One of the top prospects has short arms and they are predicting a move inside for him. Penning would be the first or second best tackle in this class and we have gotten an extra year to develop him versus having to wait.

Olave has already proven he's worth a top 10 pick and with Thomas' injury we'd be in the exact same spot needing to draft a WR.

I listened to the pod, too. At no point did he say Olave isn’t a number-1 WR. That’s your reach.

Also…this thread and others have talked about the Torry Holt comparison. Holt was the Rams number-1 WR ahead of Isaac Bruce by his 2nd year (check the numbers).
Ok you win… you can go away now. Please block my posts and threads.

I can say with confidence they would have. @16 they took Dotson a WR , next pick was the Chargers who didn't need a WR. They took Johnson an O lineman. Then @ 18 ( our old pick ) the Titans took Burks a pick they traded the Eagles for. So if we didn't make the Eagles trade we would have still had 18 and they would have gotten Dotson @ 18. Even if Philly kept 16 they were not looking for a WR because they traded for Brown . So I can say with confidence that If we would have offered Wash. 18 and 2 3rd rd picks the deal would have been made
Except you can’t. It’s all guessing.

Of course I’d rather have a first round pick this year, given our QB needs. But it doesn’t change the fact that we used the pick to move up and take Olave, who is turning out to be outstanding.

Ok… I’ll take the W with Underhill seeing the same thing I see, and “Saint Spud” disagreeing.

Good luck in your bubble

That's the thing, it's nothing that's a secret. Everyone see's it if you watch the games. It's just not a knock. There are plenty of WR1s over the course of time who haven't made their name on YAC. Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison, Cris Carter, Chad Johnson, Keenan McCardell. I can keep going. Just like some guys can make their living on never being open and making contested catches. There isn't one recipe to being a WR1. If you ball, you ball.

"He could be a GREAT WR 2 though" 🤭 :ROFLMAO:

I would sure pick him in the top 10, especially if there was not a quarterback there l wanted
Agreed. The Saints made the trade and have a special WR. Those aren’t common and the make a huge difference.

However, I agree also with the sentiment that if we end up with what would have been a top 5 pick and maybe could have snagged a franchise QB - it’ll sting despite Olave being such a special talent so quickly.

But again, Olave’s rookie season has made that trade sting a lot less.

Guys I really don’t think most people on this board appreciate the type of talent we have. And we were fortunate to get him. I know we had to trade up but sometimes you just have to pay for quality. I would make this trade over and over again. This guy will be in our lineup for the next decade. He is special.

For all those who keep whining about the fact that we gave up next year‘s first round pick, just know that there are some of us that think it was totally worth it. THERE I SAID IT!
I thought the post was about the amount of talent on the SR board regarding TCU Dan! And yes, SR is fortunate to have gotten Dan!

Did the Safety fall down though ? would he have made that play on the ball ? . . . regardless it was a great run and catch, made it look easy.

I know he wasn't technically employed when we drafted Olave, but trading up to pick a WR in the first is the most Sean Payton move ever. There's no way he didn't give some input on that pick, or at least give his stamp of approval.
The Saints have reliable friends at Ohio St. We get get the heads up on who is the real deal.

FTR… I just listened to the most recent NO.football podcast that came out today or yesterday…

…and Underhill said himself that the one criticism he has towards Olave, after Trip and the other guy were fawning over him, was that he lacks YAC ability.

He’s a catch and go down guy… after Nick said it, they joked for a minute about how small he is, etc…

But the fact remains… Olave has great hands, runs great routes and gets open, but unless he catches a ball in the end zone or free and clear of defenders he’s likely going to just go down and take the catch. That’s not necessarily a bad thing…

…but to me, it’s not #1 WR material.

He could be a GREAT #2 though.
Lack of physicality was the knock on Olave before the draft and the reason many pundits didn't have him going as high as we picked him. His production, however, speaks for itself. If he continues to produce and can stay healthy and have a long career, no one will be putting an asterisk by his name indicating he lacked YAK, and people will forget about what we gave up for him in the draft.

Did the Safety fall down though ? would he have made that play on the ball ? . . . regardless it was a great run and catch, made it look easy.
Are you talking about the 53 yard TD? He blew by Ramsey and the safety tried to get over but was a step behind Olave and dove at his feet to tackle him and missed. He didn't fall down; he got beat.

Last edited:
"How he beat Jalen Ramsey"

IMHO.. that was a blew-by-you moment for the young man.... props!

Coincidence that the above GIF is a Buckeye.. LoL!

NW.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom