NFL Old BR article: Biggest steal in the 2007 NFL draft was an UDFA (...only Saints fans would know this one) (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
The WhoDat Nation knows who it is: the guy who beat out Antonio Pittman that season.

My bone of contention of BR's re-draft is that they said that Megatron was not worth it where he was picked:

Calvin Johnson hasn't done much to prove he should have gone this high...

:gosaints:

I remember the 2007 draft. Bil, Andrus and I were doing a draft radio show from the City Bar in Maurice, LA. I was hoping Beason would drop to us at #27, but he went at #25.

I have told this story before, but I'll relay it again. Andrus and I were up at Milsaps for training camp. The heat in Jackson was just brutal. On back-to-back days they did blitz pick-up drills for RB's. Pittman struggled in these drills to say the least. They were in full pads and they were live (full hitting). Pittman looked more like a matador when trying to make a block. He refused to get low and square up. He just didn't like doing it. PT excelled at the same drills. The next day, the same thing happened. Once again Pittman whiffed on a block. Sean Payton had had it with him and yelled out at the top of his lungs at Pittman, "I can't play you, ... I can't play you". The writing was on the wall early in training camp for Pittman.

I remember the 2007 draft. Bil, Andrus and I were doing a draft radio show from the City Bar in Maurice, LA. I was hoping Beason would drop to us at #27, but he went at #25.

I have told this story before, but I'll relay it again. Andrus and I were up at Milsaps for training camp. The heat in Jackson was just brutal. On back-to-back days they did blitz pick-up drills for RB's. Pittman struggled in these drills to say the least. They were in full pads and they were live (full hitting). Pittman looked more like a matador when trying to make a block. He refused to get low and square up. He just didn't like doing it. PT excelled at the same drills. The next day, the same thing happened. Once again Pittman whiffed on a block. Sean Payton had had it with him and yelled out at the top of his lungs at Pittman, "I can't play you, ... I can't play you". The writing was on the wall early in training camp for Pittman.

Never heard that story before, Big Dan. Thanks for sharing! :9:

Yeah... if you are a RB and can't pick up a blitz, or deliver a chip on an pass rusher who has or looks like will beat the o-lineman in front of you... you have no place in a Payton offense (and quite rightfully so).

Wow that's really an awsome story!

Appreciate it Dan

PT was a warrior! He was going to excell at anything asked of him.

He started off on ST returning kick offs, and he was amazing at that as well.

I talk about this all the time. PT Core Strength was something special. His ability to sling would be tacklers off and make it look soooooo easy was always amazing to me. The only other RB since then that has equivalent core strength IMO would be Kamara. It's crazy both are Saints, and both of them were under utilized in college. That's a special trait, that you dont see in a whole lot of RB's

Thanks for sharing the Millsaps story. I remember buying Antonio Pittman autographed rookie cards on eBay after we drafted him. Then when he was cut, I was like, who is this Pierre Thomas guy? PT 23 had VERY FEW football cards made of him. In fact his auto rookie card is very rare. I finally got a PT 23 auto card a few years back. I do recall Pittman was picked up, and put on a teams 53 to start the year.
With the pick up of PT 23 as a UDFA, it made other UDFA's of the future realize, that they REALLY HAVE A CHANCE, to make the Saints 53 man roster. I remembered when NO ONE wanted to be a Saints player. Funny, Now it is as COOL, as the other side of a cucumber, to be a Saints player.... Sorry Stuart Scott (RIP), but the other side of a cucumber is cooler than the other side of a pillow.... Just like PT 23 was a LOT cooler, and had more HEART than Antonio Pittman.

The WhoDat Nation knows who it is: the guy who beat out Antonio Pittman that season.

My bone of contention of BR's re-draft is that they said that Megatron was not worth it where he was picked:

I would be my house if that draft was redone,Johnson isn't making it to #11

I remember Pittman was playing for St Louis in 2007 and they came to the Dome. I remember him having a long run, like 50 yards or something like that. I remember thinking, crap, we let another good one go.... At the time PT hadn't gotten much playing time. Now PT is my all time favorite Saint.

you not lying
that's some of the hottest i've ever been

I have been to quite a few over the years, including the Vero beach camps. I would say, Southeastern University training camp two-a-days, under the Mora regime, were the hottest ever! Tony Elliott; how he ever survived, looking at his physique coming into those camps, is a mystery. Still cannot believe he survived.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom