Old Navy employee fired after grabbing black woman, accusing her of shoplifting in viral video (1 Viewer)

XLR8

Very Banned
Reaction score
Yeah she needs to be fired if no shoplifting ever occurred. Sounds like this will be another company going through sensitive training. Honestly I have not been to an Old Navy or The Gap since early 2000’s late 1990’s. Maybe because I out grew it? Anyone still shop at Old Navy?

No it is not Boy George either in the video.

I never really understand, why an article always needs to mention the race of the persons involved, in something like this. Wrong is wrong, regardless of the race of the persons involved. Race is seemingly brought up in the title of news stories, to get hits on a story. The alleged perpetrator insinuates the manager racially profiled her. What is the basis for her saying that? Does she have any valid reason/fact, for stating that? Did the manager call her by a derogatory (racial) name? The manager was doing her job. But also, the manager had no business in placing her hands on the alleged. If that is the reason for the alleged perpetrator to say the manager racially profiled her, she is no less wrong. Two wrongs, do not make a right.

I never really understand, why an article always needs to mention the race of the persons involved, in something like this. Wrong is wrong, regardless of the race of the persons involved. Race is seemingly brought up in the title of news stories, to get hits on a story. The alleged perpetrator insinuates the manager racially profiled her. What is the basis for her saying that? Does she have any valid reason/fact, for stating that? Did the manager call her by a derogatory (racial) name? The manager was doing her job. But also, the manager had no business in placing her hands on the alleged. If that is the reason for the alleged perpetrator to say the manager racially profiled her, she is no less wrong. Two wrongs, do not make a right.

A: Because people want to know. That is why Yahoo and other news sources put it in the title. This is just how society is now.

Bingo! Society in general, is looking for a racial angle to everything.

Disagree . I don’t know how you came to that opinion. How about let us keep race out of this discussion. Do you think we need better sensitivity training? Is that the answer?

For context, there were 7000 reported hate crimes last year, and no doubt many more unreported.

So unless there is video proof of someone saying the N word the press should not report the racial motives a victim suspects? I.E. they should censor their stories when accusations of racism are involved?

I’m ok with the accusation that outlets seek click bait headlines, this happens across every range of subject and on every type of story, but you are taking this more than a step further. Both equivocating an accusation of racism to actual simple battery and imploring that outlets should self-censor around accusations of racism.

Honestly I did not see anything click bait about it. It just how news is delivered. I can tell you how Foxnews.com is full of click bait but I’m not. Maybe it is just me. Back to the story it just seems this is happening more often. Are we taking our jobs to personal? Do our views effect the way we work?

Status Quo Warriors seem to want an entire legal process to play out before media can report a story

The MSM creates racism angle seems a particularly attractive argument

for some reason

Status Quo Warriors seem to want an entire legal process to play out before media can report a story

The MSM creates racism angle seems a particularly attractive argument

for some reason

I mean there is video evidence here. It is not an accusation. Anyway sounds like Old Navy is going to handle it like Starbucks situation. Sensitivity training necessary.

I mean there is video evidence here. It is not an accusation. Anyway sounds like Old Navy is going to handle it like Starbucks situation. Sensitivity training necessary.
i would have to guess the training is already there
most stores now train their employees not to intercede for this very reason
they can easily cover the loss of a $50 shirt
a million dollar lawsuit & bad publicity is more troubling
(otoh, who besides shoplifters actually go to stores anymore?)

otooh, i've seen lots videos of videos of young women getting caught for shoplifting and really REALLY not wanting the guards to get the police involved - some times it's one girls, sometimes it's friends- lots of twin sisters seem to shoplift, even moms sometimes help their daughters avoid police involvement. the weird thing is it always seems to be the same store, or at least same storeroom. weird)

otooh, i've seen lots videos of videos of young women getting caught for shoplifting and really REALLY not wanting the guards to get the police involved - some times it's one girls, sometimes it's friends- lots of twin sisters seem to shoplift, even moms sometimes help their daughters avoid police involvement. the weird thing is it always seems to be the same store, or at least same storeroom. weird)

i would have to guess the training is already there
most stores now train their employees not to intercede for this very reason
they can easily cover the loss of a $50 shirt
a million dollar lawsuit & bad publicity is more troubling
(otoh, who besides shoplifters actually go to stores anymore?)

Best Buy (Which I hear is on its final legs)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom