Old Navy employee fired after grabbing black woman, accusing her of shoplifting in viral video (1 Viewer)

Could the article have been written without mentioning her race - sure. However, it tends to be included because racism is unfortunately very much alive. The laws might have been abandoned in the 1960s, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not still there.

No clue if there was actual racial profiling.....................but I watched the video, and "Stephanie" is lucky that she didn't get the **** knocked out of herself for grabbing and holding onto someone's arm as if they were a misbehaving child.

She was 100% in the wrong for making physical contact in that manner.

Could the article have been written without mentioning her race - sure. However, it tends to be included because racism is unfortunately very much alive. The laws might have been abandoned in the 1960s, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not still there.

What happened in Canada during the 1960s?

There is a still a sense of the possibility of being manipulated by such stories.

Does Yahoo report every case where a retail employee is disciplined for unwanted contact with customers? For attempting to restrain suspected shoplifters? For false accusations of shoplifting? . . . .

It is sort of similar to how local news has been accused to only showing photos of black people accused of violent crimes and not reporting or not showing faces of white people. Watching those stories gives a false impression of the danger of black people.

I was accused of shoplifting once, In Alabama, Dauphine Island. maybe it was random or because of how I looked. My mom is Puerto Rican, and when I am at the beach for a week, I get extremely dark. My wife jokes that I look Mexican during the summer.
We were in one of the gift shops looking around. Had a handful of stuff, went to pay, she rang up all the stuff then said " you going to pay for the stuff in your pockets too?" I looked at her and was like, what are you talking about? She said she saw me putting stuff in my pockets. I politely turned my pockets inside out to show her I had nothing there other than some change. Wasn't good enough. 'I saw you! I know you have stuff you are hiding". I said fine, call the cops, we'll stand here until they get here and we can have this conversation with them, but when you find out you are wrong, I am going to see if the officer will let me press charges for harassment ( had no idea if they would actually do that or not, but I was livid at the time). I told her to keep the $80 dollars worth of crap she rang up and we left. I tried to be nice at first, but the fact the kept saying she SAW me put stuff in my pockets. not I thought I saw you put stuff in your pockets.

Edit: this was in 1997

Last edited:
There is a still a sense of the possibility of being manipulated by such stories.

Does Yahoo report every case where a retail employee is disciplined for unwanted contact with customers? For attempting to restrain suspected shoplifters? For false accusations of shoplifting? . . . .

It is sort of similar to how local news has been accused to only showing photos of black people accused of violent crimes and not reporting or not showing faces of white people. Watching those stories gives a false impression of the danger of black people.

And I agree with that, there is no doubt that they manipulate the stories. It’s been many years since I watched the news channels due to that.

Best Buy (Which I hear is on its final legs)

Best Buy is actually quite healthy as a company - on a run of strong quarterly earnings. They were on the ropes years ago but they successfully navigated that.

Someone else asked about Old Navy - that store is doing so well compared to others in the sector that Gap Inc is actually spinning Old Navy off into its own corporation and public stock to appease Gap shareholders while Gap is closing stores nationwide.

Best Buy is actually quite healthy as a company - on a run of strong quarterly earnings. They were on the ropes years ago but they successfully navigated that.

Someone else asked about Old Navy - that store is doing so well compared to others in the sector that Gap Inc is actually spinning Old Navy off into its own corporation and public stock to appease Gap shareholders while Gap is closing stores nationwide.

That is a sign they are in trouble. See Sears&K-Mart. They shut one thing down hoping the other can survive.

That is a sign they are in trouble. See Sears&K-Mart. They shut one thing down hoping the other can survive.

Maybe if they were in distress to the point they had to outright sell the subsidiary to pay off debt or get a cash infusion. Otherwise cutting fat and simplifying the story is usually a good thing.

I do believe I posted about BBY in the investment thread maybe a year ago.

I was accused of shoplifting once, In Alabama, Dauphine Island. maybe it was random or because of how I looked. My mom is Puerto Rican, and when I am at the beach for a week, I get extremely dark. My wife jokes that I look Mexican during the summer.
We were in one of the gift shops looking around. Had a handful of stuff, went to pay, she rang up all the stuff then said " you going to pay for the stuff in your pockets too?" I looked at her and was like, what are you talking about? She said she saw me putting stuff in my pockets. I politely turned my pockets inside out to show her I had nothing there other than some change. Wasn't good enough. 'I saw you! I know you have stuff you are hiding". I said fine, call the cops, we'll stand here until they get here and we can have this conversation with them, but when you find out you are wrong, I am going to see if the officer will let me press charges for harassment ( had no idea if they would actually do that or not, but I was livid at the time). I told her to keep the $80 dollars worth of crap she rang up and we left. I tried to be nice at first, but the fact the kept saying she SAW me put stuff in my pockets. not I thought I saw you put stuff in your pockets.

Edit: this was in 1997

Come on buddy you lying. You know darn well she said she seent you! She seent what you done stuffed in them britches of yours.

Gap isn’t shutting down. And actually corporate spin-offs very often result in increased value for both the parent and the spinoff.

Spin-Offs often result in a higher aggregate value for the constituent pieces. A spin-off occurs when a parent firm distributes shares of a subsidiary to the parent’s shareholders (often tax-free). Numerous academic studies have demonstrated that spin-offs outperform the overall market by a large margin. Spin-offs as a group, outperform the broader stock market. Over the past 14 years (from 12/21/02 to 12/30/16) the Bloomberg US Spun-Off Index returned 714%, while the S&P 500 Index returned 155%.

Gap isn’t shutting down. And actually corporate spin-offs very often result in increased value for both the parent and the spinoff.

Again I think the last time I was at The Gap was late 1990’s , Early 2000.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom