Old New Orleans Commercials (1 Viewer)

I didn't realize there was a Putt-Putt that far down Vets, so they must have had two of them. There was one just before (if coming from the city toward Kenner) Transcontinental next door to the Burger King. Speaking of kick-arse arcades, Putt-Putt's arcade was always top notch.

The Putt Putt you’re thinking of was there much, much later- we went and played there in high school, and even as recently as in college in the mid 90s... it may have been there in the 70s and 80s as well though .. ultimately, I’m guessing that Celebration Station put them out of business.

The Putt Putt i referenced was one that i doubt too many people remember, becuase we went when i was very young, about 4 or 5 yrs old, then it shut down.. i doubt it even lasted beyond the late 1970s.

Here is a neat list that one of our members posted here almost 10 yrs ago, of places that are no longer in existence (aka “Ain’t There No Mo’”) , most on or near Veterans Blvd, and what has replaced them... probably a few changes over the last 10 yrs since, as well:

Going, going gone: a before and after analysis of East Jefferson between the 70s and now:

Schweggmann on Vets: Lowes
Shoe Lodge: Storehouse Furniture, now Christian Street Furniture
Shoe Town on Vets & Papworth: Small shops
House of Lee and “the beer store”: Borders Bookstore (now vacant)
Wilshire Plaza A&P: Gordon’s of Metairie
Wilshire Plaza Atlantic/Gaylord’s/Zayre: Office Depot, Big Lots, Fabrixx
Pelican Lanes: Heritage Plaza Office Building
Security Homestead Building: Rite-Aid Drugstore
Paradise Lanes: Barnes & Noble
Godchaux’s at Lakeside: Assorted shops
D.H. Holmes at Lakeside: Dillard’s
Maison Blanche at Clearview: first Dillard’s, now Target
Lakeside Western Auto: Bravo, Sucre, & AT&T cellular
Barker’s/House Works!: Steinmart & Sav-a-Center
Latter Center: K-Mart
Empty Lot at Bonnabel and Vets: 1st Lamana Panno Fallo Funeral home, now Walgreen’s Shakey’s Pizza: Shogun Japanese Restaurant
Do Drive-In: DeLimon Place Condos
Airline Drive-In: was Real Superstore, now Sam’s Club
Westgate Drive-In: Wal-Mart (now closed), strip shopping center, & car dealerships
Chateau Ice Rink: Offices
Bonanza Restaurant 9east): Copeland’s, then Sweet Fire and Ice , then Social City, now back to Copeland's again
Bonanza Restaurant (west): Straya, then Cheesecake Bistro
Sena Mall Theater: Martin’s Wine Cellar
Putt-Putt: Ochsner Pediatric Clinic
Roy Rogers’at Oaklawn: Daiquiri’s & Creams
Water slide I: Ochsner Metairie clinic
Water slide II: Shoney’s Inn
Jefferson Downs: Gabriel Subdivision
East End Shopping Center: Winn-Dixie Market Place Shopping Center
Joy’s Aereon 3: Eckerd Drugstore, then CVS Pharmacy, now closed
Joy’s Panorama 4: Auto Zone and rental car place
Joy’s Cinema City in Kenner– car dealership
Leonard Krower @ Vets & Cleary: Blockbuster then a bank, French Riviera & Discovery Zone
Time Savers: first E-Z Serves, now mostly Discount Zones
K&Bs: Rite-Aids
K&B @ Clearview Mall: Zea’s
Empty Lot by Dorignacs: Foodies Kitchen, soon to be an outpatient surgery center
The old quaint Bonnabel Boat launch: new, ugly Bonnabel Boat launch
Lakeside Cinema & Winn Dixie by mall: 1st Linens N’ Things then Dick’s Sporting Goods & other shops
A&G Cafeteria at Lakeside: additional parking
Fairchild Middle School: Riverdale Middle School
Bunche Braves: Bunche Bulldogs
Metairie Playground: Pontiff Playground
The Beverly Dinner Theatre: Ochsner satellite parking lot
Pizza Hut at Vets and Nursery: burned down, became a CC’s Coffee Shop
Trahan Texaco @ Aris and Vets: Bank
Trampoline Jump Center: Discount Zone Spur station
PDQ Car Wash @ Metairie Road & 17th street Canal: Metairie Small Animal Hospital
Sclafani’s: Causeway Animal Hospital
Pat Gillen’s, Chocolate Soup, other shops on Met. Rd: AmSouth Bank
JC restaurant: Sevin’s, then Ralph & Kacoo’s, then King Buffet, then?
The Fun Arcade, which (before my time) was a Burger Chef, but was Cyrus Restaurant for a while and is now Huey's 24/7 Diner....

I'm left-footed and right-handed.

I'm totally dysfunctional trying things left-handed and right-footed.

It's odd because I shoot pool left-handed.

Lol, I'm a bit of a mixed bag as well. I write, throw and shoot pool left handed. I kick with my right foot. I bat either in baseball, but prefer right handed than left. Also, golf right handed.

Oh, and I dribble and shoot left handed in basketball and southpaw in boxing. So yeah, go figure.

Maybe my arms think I'm left handed but my feet think I'm a righty. The golf, batting and kicking have as much to do with getting power from my legs as my arms...I think. Weird.

Last edited:
Cuco's was great for happy hour margaritas. I went with one of my really good female friends back in the day, and we went quite a bit. I won't say whether I was of legal age, but that's not really important. :hihi:

I didn't realize there was a Putt-Putt that far down Vets, so they must have had two of them. There was one just before (if coming from the city toward Kenner) Transcontinental next door to the Burger King. Speaking of kick-arse arcades, Putt-Putt's arcade was always top notch.

I go to that Bud's every time I go back home - I have family that lives just a bit up Williams from Vets, so it's really convenient for me, and I always get #4s.

The Putt Putt was just off Vets and Transcontinental (as mentioned). The other mini-golf place I remember was called “Goony Golf” I believe. Had a concrete whale, a concrete T-Rex and a pirate ship of some sort. This was probably in the mid/late ‘70s. It was in the general area you are describing.

The Putt Putt was just off Vets and Transcontinental (as mentioned). The other mini-golf place I remember was called “Goony Golf” I believe. Had a concrete whale, a concrete T-Rex and a pirate ship of some sort. This was probably in the mid/late ‘70s. It was in the general area you are describing.
Yeah . Good times. Never would play the last hole so I could keep the golf ball and play another round.

Raise the flag. Oh the memories. It was on Veterans if I remember right.

The spirit of Panchos lives on in Kenner at 2 amigo's. The same managers that ran the veterans location opened their own place, it is the same exact food that existed on Vets. Instead of a flag, they had a lamp you tap to flag down someone to get you stuff. It is a bit more pricer than what panchos used to be, they even have some photos on the wall of the old location where you get in line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom