"Old Toys" or "Life Before Everything Became Too Dangerous to Play With" (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I figure both of those titles mean about the same thing.

But I couldn't help but to think about a lot of the old toys we used to play with that are no longer available or have been changed to point where they are hardly the same toy.

I sure miss the original 'Lawn Darts'.

I figure both of those titles mean about the same thing.

But I couldn't help but to think about a lot of the old toys we used to play with that are no longer available or have been changed to point where they are hardly the same toy.

I sure miss the original 'Lawn Darts'.

I used to play with "caps" a lot, but don't know if those are still sold. These were the rolls of red paper with a single explosive dot every inch or so. Yeah it was fun to hit each dot with a hammer, but it was much more fun to smack the entire roll.

Really? You played a lot of lawn darts back in the day?
Seems the same as saying ‘man, I miss my old sit-n-spin’
Let's just say that hurling a heavy metal projectile across the yard was pretty cool when you are about 6 years old. :hihi:

I used to play with "caps" a lot, but don't know if those are still sold. These were the rolls of red paper with a single explosive dot every inch or so. Yeah it was fun to hit each dot with a hammer, but it was much more fun to smack the entire roll.
If you didn't have cap guns, you weren't living. Aaah, I can still smell that spent cap today. :grin:

We still have snap pops as any time spent waiting for parades will attest

Yeah, I was pretty sure that those old caps were still around. But what's no longer around are cap guns that look like real guns. And obviously for good reason.

The ring caps always seemed to fire more consistently.

Especially with a hammer.

Had a friend throw a lawn dart up in the air and hit himself in the head. it stuck in his skull, but not far enough to ruin his brain. Had a dent in his head he could put a pencil in later in life.

It's not so much the toys I miss, but games like "smear the <unpleasant homosexual slur>, dirt clod fights, Pellet Gun wars, whipping people into docks while skiing or hydrosliding, or even rainy day pool ball fights with lacrosse wickets.

Kids today think they're tough for using over the ear headphones. Imagine how they'd handld fighting wasps in a barn with a torch and spray paint can.

Had a friend throw a lawn dart up in the air and hit himself in the head. it stuck in his skull, but not far enough to ruin his brain. Had a dent in his head he could put a pencil in later in life.

It's not so much the toys I miss, but games like "smear the <unpleasant homosexual slur>, dirt clod fights, Pellet Gun wars, whipping people into docks while skiing or hydrosliding, or even rainy day pool ball fights with lacrosse wickets.

Kids today think they're tough for using over the ear headphones. Imagine how they'd handld fighting wasps in a barn with a torch and spray paint can.
You are so right. I don't believe kids even know how to 'play' anymore. They are too busy staring at a little screen all day long. :hihi:

I ended up in the emergency room when I was in kindergarten from those. A friend and I were popping them by striking them with a rock, and a spark hit me in the eye. So, yeah, kids are dumb and I understand why we can’t have nice things.

The eyepatch I wore for a few days was kind of cool.

They could still do it, but I don't think kids play bottle rocket war anymore. Or maybe my kids hang with the wrong crowd.

Your friend who couldnt get out of the way of a lawn dart he himself threw...how good was his brain to begin with?

yep.

behind my home growing up was a canal. not a very deep one ( unless heavy rains ) but we would go catch turtles there.

One day we decided to blow up a 2 man raft and tie it to the back of our buddies 125 Kawasaki dirt bike. Went well for the first run.

Second run landed rider 2 in ER w broken arm.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom