"Old Toys" or "Life Before Everything Became Too Dangerous to Play With" (1 Viewer)

cant find those tiny bottle rockets around here anymore. i think they were banned.

Plenty of time spent firing at each other across neutral ground. Man, did they put out some sparks at take off.

You have to know how to light it with your left hand - and then hold in the right hand for just the right amount of time - and then toss it up so it lights in mid-air while pointing at your target.

Last edited:
My brother and I would joust on our bicycles. For a helmet we would put an empty 12 pack box over our heads and were able to look out the handle hole . The ole man usually had an old empty Ballentine box or 2 lying around. We would then ride full speed at each other with broom sticks and smack each other and try to knock the other off his bike. That is until we both figured out at the same time that if one would stick said broom stick into the front wheel that would....
  1. cause the bike to come to an abrupt halt
  2. cause the rider to be hurled forcefully forward and downward to the street and usually break some bone and or laceration requiring stiches
  3. concussion from being hit in head by broom stick or by hitting head on the ground when ejected from bike
  4. front wheel of bike was rendered useless because there was now a lack of spokes and the rim was usually bent beyond repair.
GOOD TIMES!!

While you ladies were playing with lawn darts, my cousin and I we're shooting a bow and arrow straight up into the sky. Then running away.

A close call made the game not as fun as it was originally perceived.

Reading about the trampolines reminded me of the place in Metairie on Vets near Bonnabel where they had the trampolines with the sprinklers set up. Many a broken bone was had in that place back in the day. Thankfully not my bones though.

I remember when trampolines didn't have the nets around them that lull parent's into a false sense of security. Back then, if you hadn't broken your arm on a trampoline then at least you had a friend that had broken their arm on a trampoline.

AND THAT'S HOW KIDS KNEW TO BE CAREFUL ON TRAMPOLINES.
I like that kids today get to have trampoline parks again (sector 6 and the like)
I used to LOVE going to the trampoline place with the pet skunk on Vets back in the 70s

While you ladies were playing with lawn darts, my cousin and I we're shooting a bow and arrow straight up into the sky. Then running away.

A close call made the game not as fun as it was originally perceived.
Maybe some of us 'ladies' were willing to accept the possibility of becoming a 'pencil holder' rather than a 'rotisserie chicken'. :hihi:

Reading about the trampolines reminded me of the place in Metairie on Vets near Bonnabel where they had the trampolines with the sprinklers set up. Many a broken bone was had in that place back in the day. Thankfully not my bones though.
I spent a few hours of my life on those things as well. As valuable as real estate is on Veterans Blvd, it makes me wonder how a trampoline yard took priority over a different kind of enterprise. Even in those days there certainly would have been more rent money coming in from a store or strip mall than from a daily group of kids intent on wearing their legs out. :scratch:

-3 wheelers. Broken leg.
-Pellet gun wars. Shot in the foot and just below the eye. Had to surgically remove the pellet.
-Bow and arrow- shoot arrow up in the air and everyone run. Never got hurt.
-Fireworks- we had bottle rocket wars in the woods. Got hit several times. Worst injury was a direct hit to the hand and it exploded upon impact. Seriously burned and broken finger.
- trampolines- lots of injuries on trampolines but worst was when we poured soap on the surface and sprayed the hose on it. I jumped really high, came down, slipped real badly and bent backwards in a very awkard way. Something popped in my knee and I fell off onto my head and my neck popped. I went numb. I still have some pain in my knee.
- monkey bars- fell off and sprained my right elbow.
-rope swings- every year when it got warm, we hit the river jump off the roap swing. Never checked to see what was below the surface. Hit a railroad tie that was stuck in a tree branch that had fallen into the river during the year. Very bad foot injury.
-ron popile fishing poles- we’d go to the mall and cast floating lure with treble hooks into the crowd. Can’t comment on what happened.

Some of these things are inherently dangerous. 3 wheelers are no longer made. Some are made more dangerous by my dumbarse actions.

I made it out allright.
Sorry if I think the world today is a bit soft.

Last edited:
-3 wheelers. Broken leg.
-Pellet gun wars. Shot in the foot and just below the eye. Had to surgically remove the pellet.
-Bow and arrow- shoot arrow up in the air and everyone run. Never got hurt.
-Fireworks- we had bottle rocket wars in the woods. Got hit several times. Worst injury was a direct hit to the hand and it exploded upon impact. Seriously burned and broken finger.
- trampolines- lots of injuries on trampolines but worst was when we poured soap on the surface and sprayed the hose on it. I jumped really high, came down, slipped real badly and bent backwards in a very awkard way. Something popped in my knee and I fell off onto my head and my neck popped. I went numb. I still have some pain in my knee.
- monkey bars- fell off and sprained my right elbow.
-rope swings- every year when it got warm, we hit the river jump off the roap swing. Never checked to see what was below the surface. Hit a railroad tie that was stuck in a tree branch that had fallen into the river during the year. Very bad foot injury.
-ron popile fishing poles- we’d go to the mall and cast floating lure with treble hooks into the crowd. Can’t comment on what happened.

I made it out allright.
Sorry if I think the world today is a bit soft.
Wow! :covri:
Just keep in mind, if you're a cat, you've used up eight already! :shocked:

dirt clod fights,

We had EPIC dirt clod wars along the Scenic Hwy. bluffs in P'cola.

33532487200_7c622f6542_b.jpg

We had EPIC dirt clod wars along the Scenic Hwy. bluffs in P'cola.

33532487200_7c622f6542_b.jpg
Looks just like the bluffs along St. Catherine Creek near Natchez, MS.

We used to jump off the bluff in to the top of a pinetree and ride it over until it hung out over the creek, then let go and plummet into the water.

Technical term: skin the cat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom