"Old Toys" or "Life Before Everything Became Too Dangerous to Play With" (1 Viewer)

Potato guns...
Neighborhood bottle rocket wars during the holidays, we'd make 'bazookas' using pvc pipes to aim at each other.
When a new house would get built in the neighborhood and it was in the multiple dirt piles lying on the property stage, we'd form sides and throw chunks of dirt at each other using the piles as cover.
Homemade bmx bike ramps that were pretty rickety.
Granted, while these weren't under the 'dangerous' category, everyone would bring their transformers to school in grade school and we'd have epic 'battles' during lunch recess...

my granddad did NOT like turtles in his pond/lake
he'd let me sit out on the pier with one of those heavy duty slingshot/wrist launchers for hours trying to knock turtles off the stumps

Directly above my head and within arm's length where I'm sitting now at my home office, there sits a wrist rocket and a glass bowl full of marbles.

20190219_000452.jpg

We had EPIC dirt clod wars along the Scenic Hwy. bluffs in P'cola.

33532487200_7c622f6542_b.jpg

When they were building the bluff parks we saw they'd put down fresh sod down the cleared area so we tied a couple ski ropes to them and hydroslided down the hill. I believe you know at least one of the participants, but suffice it to say the dirt ramp was awesome.

And I know you know one of the worst victims of hydroslide dock/whipping too! At least he was small and skinny and was able to duck under the dock sort of rather than taking it on teeth first.

Directly above my head and within arm's length where I'm sitting now at my home office, there sits a wrist rocket and a glass bowl full of marbles.

20190219_000452.jpg

When they were building the bluff parks we saw they'd put down fresh sod down the cleared area so we tied a couple ski ropes to them and hydroslided down the hill. I believe you know at least one of the participants, but suffice it to say the dirt ramp was awesome.

And I know you know one of the worst victims of hydroslide dock/whipping too! At least he was small and skinny and was able to duck under the dock sort of rather than taking it on teeth first.

Extra pernts for the Slayer hat... \m/ \m/

Biking everywhere without a helmet.
Did it for many years and must have logged hundreds of miles.
And could do it carrying a baseball bat and glove (pre days where kids have baseball “bags” that will hold half of their belongings)

You have to know how to light it with your left hand - and then hold in the right hand for just the right amount of time - and then toss it up so it lights in mid-air while pointing at your target.
Correct... Get the angle right... Know all about it.

Til u got the one that prematurely went off. Lol

My dad worked at the Alliance refinery in Plaquemines Parish. He gave me ball bearings from the refinery. They were the size of golf balls and crushed glass marbles on dropsies.
Haha yes most of our friends dads would bring ball bearings home just for reason!

Jeff explains it far better than me.

My brother and I would joust on our bicycles. For a helmet we would put an empty 12 pack box over our heads and were able to look out the handle hole . The ole man usually had an old empty Ballentine box or 2 lying around. We would then ride full speed at each other with broom sticks and smack each other and try to knock the other off his bike. That is until we both figured out at the same time that if one would stick said broom stick into the front wheel that would....
  1. cause the bike to come to an abrupt halt
  2. cause the rider to be hurled forcefully forward and downward to the street and usually break some bone and or laceration requiring stiches
  3. concussion from being hit in head by broom stick or by hitting head on the ground when ejected from bike
  4. front wheel of bike was rendered useless because there was now a lack of spokes and the rim was usually bent beyond repair.
GOOD TIMES!!

This post brings back fond memories, but it's more fun on mini-bikes wearing football uniforms.

^^^^^

went through the whole dang thread seeing if anyone remembered those dealers of pain----you'd get 'em slamming--top n bottom, top n bottom, top n bottom, topnbottom, topnbottom until they were nearly invisible-- then extend your arm at the nearest person's arm or leg.

sigh!, sniff----good times !

This post brings back fond memories, but it's more fun on mini-bikes wearing football uniforms.

EDIT: I spent half an hour last night searching through old photos to see if I could find a picture of myself and a few friends in our little league helmets and pads jousting in my grandmother's front yard on mini-bikes. I know they're around somewhere and there's one with my 70 year old grandfather in his full on work suit holding his pocket square to signal us to go. I miss him. He was not afraid of a little blood or dirt.

Dirt clod wars: Yup
Biking sans helmet: Aye, for years
Fireworks wars: Hell yes. They make a thing called the Saturn 5, which is a box with 25 tiny bottle rockets in it. Once lit, it fired them all off without stopping. Battles with those were epic.

I had a 3 wheeler. I have no idea how I am alive right now.
I was looking through the thread to see if anyone mentioned three-wheelers. I went through I barbed wire fence because of faulty brakes (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). A friend of mine nearly died on one. He did lose half an ear.

P.S. This is off-topic, but it's hard to believe how many times I rode in the back of a Pick-Up when I was a kid. I loved it. I think parents would be arrested for child endangerment these days.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom