Oldest Companies in the World (1 Viewer)

The Papacy doesn't count as a company? It has a CEO, bank, real estate, marketing department, collections department, etc. - and quite older than 578.
Valid question

I guess most people don't consider churches to be typical businesses. I'll admit that I don't

Does British royalty count as well?

I was just talking about this recently

Growing up in the DC area I’ve been to Mount Vernon, Monticello and the Capitol on field trips and it was interesting and impressive but it’s mind boggling to think in other countries you can see buildings and roads that are over a thousand years old

I would love to see the pyramids one day just to stare at them in awe

Very cool that there is a restaurant celebrating their 1200th anniversary

You can see buildings and structures that are over 1K years old in the U.S. too, but somehow people only acknowledge the structures made by the Europeans who arrived during the 15th century and on.

You can see buildings and structures that are over 1K years old in the U.S. too, but somehow people only acknowledge the structures made by the Europeans who arrived during the 15th century and on.
True enough

I am sure Madame Orr's House was established in the mid 1800's.

17315546811_2776291581_z.jpg

Breweries are making a strong showing.
?????????
The oldest business continuously in operation in Florida as a corporation I believe is the Lewis Bear Company in Pensacola which is a Budweiser distributor. There's a Hardware Store here that's been open for 120 years or more too.

Guess this can go here
=================
You walk into your local bar and order a beer. Your server brings your order, along with a few snacks to nibble on while sipping your brew: dates and some dried fish.

This was likely the experience for patrons at what might be the world’s oldest-known bar.
Archaeologists recently excavated a site in Iraq dating to around 2700 B.C. in the ancient Sumerian city-state of Lagash that they think could contain the oldest tavern ever discovered.

“We found the remains of a public eatery, the earliest that we are aware of in one of the first cities of southern Mesopotamia,” said Holly Pittman, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania and project director of the excavation.

An international team of researchers from Penn and the University of Pisa announced the discovery this month. The site was uncovered in the fall at Tell al Hiba, located in southeastern Iraq, about 150 miles from the modern port city of Basra.

Archaeologists found a seven-room structure featuring an open courtyard with benches and a large open cooking area with a 10-foot-wide mud-brick oven. They also discovered a primitive refrigerator. Known as a “zeer” in Arabic, the device consisted of two bottomless clay jars that used evaporation to help cool perishable items.

In another room, the team discovered a large quantity of conical bowls that held ready-to-eat food and jars that the archaeologists think contained beer.
“

We’re trying to find out now through lipid analysis what was in the bowls or the jars,” said Pittman, who is also Near East curator at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. “But it looks like this was kind of a McDonald’s with prepared food for fast service.”……….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom