Oldest Companies in the World (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty cool read
===============
To survive in the big bad world of business, you need staying power. We wanted to know which businesses around the world have stood the test of time and were the oldest in their respective countries.

Behind the dates and finances, we found fascinating stories that illuminate the histories of each continent.

1. Oldest companies in Europe
Located in the walls of St Peter’s Abbey in Salzburg, St. Peter Stifts Kulinarium opened in 803 and remains the oldest restaurant in Europe that you can still eat in.

The inn is rumoured to have served Christopher Columbus, Johann Georg Faust, and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

A short leap forward in time and over the border to neighbouring Germany, you’ll find Staffelter Hof Winery, a winery established in 862..........

2. Oldest companies in North America

North America is home to businesses dating back to the 16th century. The oldest company still in business is La Casa de Moneda de México, a mint established in 1534 in Mexico.

Viceroy Antonio de Mendoza founded the national mint of Mexico by decree from the Spanish Crown, and it became the first mint in the Americas.

The mint’s coins circulated widely and became the basis of many modern currencies, including the United States dollar, the Japanese yen and the Chinese yuan.......

4. Oldest Companies in Asia

Asia is home to the oldest still-functioning business in the world: a construction company named Kongo Gumi.

In 578 Buddhism was on the rise in Japan; but the Japanese had no experience in building temples. The royal family invited a renowned Korean temple builder, Shigemitsu Kongo, to construct the country’s first government temple.

Shigemitsu stayed to maintain the building and passed his unprecedented knowledge of the art down the line, so that 14 centuries later temple-building still accounted for 80% of the Kongo Gumi’s US$60m business..........

491C11A1-F93F-4F69-AB31-A1860B020FAB.png

Last edited:
Thanks Prime.

Great stuff here.

Ireland... Sean's Bar.. year opened. 900...

Oxi Clean will outlast all of them.

I find this stuff fascinating. Illustrates just how young the United States is compared to Europe.

I was just talking about this recently

Growing up in the DC area I’ve been to Mount Vernon, Monticello and the Capitol on field trips and it was interesting and impressive but it’s mind boggling to think in other countries you can see buildings and roads that are over a thousand years old

I would love to see the pyramids one day just to stare at them in awe

Very cool that there is a restaurant celebrating their 1200th anniversary

Pretty cool read
===============
To survive in the big bad world of business, you need staying power. We wanted to know which businesses around the world have stood the test of time and were the oldest in their respective countries.

Behind the dates and finances, we found fascinating stories that illuminate the histories of each continent.

1. Oldest companies in Europe
Located in the walls of St Peter’s Abbey in Salzburg, St. Peter Stifts Kulinarium opened in 803 and remains the oldest restaurant in Europe that you can still eat in.

The inn is rumoured to have served Christopher Columbus, Johann Georg Faust, and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

A short leap forward in time and over the border to neighbouring Germany, you’ll find Staffelter Hof Winery, a winery established in 862..........

2. Oldest companies in North America

North America is home to businesses dating back to the 16th century. The oldest company still in business is La Casa de Moneda de México, a mint established in 1534 in Mexico.

Viceroy Antonio de Mendoza founded the national mint of Mexico by decree from the Spanish Crown, and it became the first mint in the Americas.

The mint’s coins circulated widely and became the basis of many modern currencies, including the United States dollar, the Japanese yen and the Chinese yuan.......

4. Oldest Companies in Asia

Asia is home to the oldest still-functioning business in the world: a construction company named Kongo Gumi.

In 578 Buddhism was on the rise in Japan; but the Japanese had no experience in building temples. The royal family invited a renowned Korean temple builder, Shigemitsu Kongo, to construct the country’s first government temple.

Shigemitsu stayed to maintain the building and passed his unprecedented knowledge of the art down the line, so that 14 centuries later temple-building still accounted for 80% of the Kongo Gumi’s US$60m business..........

491C11A1-F93F-4F69-AB31-A1860B020FAB.png
Left this one out: 1775 - Official founding date of John Rigby & Co
In the latter part of the 19th century, Rigby advertisements claimed that the business dated back to 1735. However, the John Rigby who founded the company was not born until 1758 and opened his gunmaking business in Dublin, Ireland, in 1775. Either an older company was bought out and the name changed or the reference to 1735 was simply a printing error. We now use the 1775 date, which places us as the oldest gunmaking firm in continuous existence in the English-speaking world.

If you have the means I highly recommend you get one....

The Ye Olde Fighting Cocks pub in St. Albans, England, has seen it all: Since its first brick was laid, possibly as early as 793, near the ruins of an ancient Roman city well before the United Kingdom was formed, the drinking house has survived civil and world wars, famine and the spread of the bubonic plague.

But hardships brought on by the coronavirus pandemic mean the pub — which Guinness World Records has reportedly called England’s oldest, though others contest that title — is shutting its doors……..

Used to live100 miles from the Pekin Noodle Parlor in Butte MT and never realized the history. That building was opened in 1911, but the family’s business I believe goes back to original 49er gold rush Chinese that then went to butte. That family has been in business since 1850
I believe.

Guess where I’m stopping at this summer

some of my eurocousins live in a (portion of a) 12th-century castle west of vienna thru which they still give tours

oldest part, ~1150, is the tower with a library up top and a "dungeon" below grade; spookykewl

history/anachronisms of the place are fun but upkeep is difficult, so they stay in a 1700s add-on where the roof doesn't leak so much :)

I watched one of the oldest buildings (and towns for that matter) in California burn to the ground a few months ago.

Also, the Catholic Church beats all of these by centuries and has enough wealth to buy almost every business listed on that map and could do so without even making a dent in net worth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom