OMG!!! Dolphins Jeff Ireland slips up on TV!!! Dolphins going DEFENSE (1 Viewer)

If I remember right in the reggie/mario deal houston signed mario because he agreed to take the same amount that was offered to reggie which reggie did not want.
I think this could be something along that same case where they will offer the man they really want the same contract they are offering jake long which may be cheaper then a #1 DE/LB.

Thats the difference, the Texans were offering Reggie a contract and he was turning them down, but they were "negotiating" with Mario. Mario was initially the smokescreen, but as Reggie turned them down they went to plan B.

First off, many people are suggesting that Long is not only not a franchise LT, but isn't even best suited to play on the left side; his physical, road-grading skills would make him a more ideal fit on the right side, where his decent, but not elite athleticism and his decent, but not elite footwork won't be as much of a liability, as he'll be facing the bigger bull-rushers, as opposed to the smaller, quicker, more agile pass-rushers he'd face on the left side. (Keep in mind, they said the same thing about Jammal Brown.)

I don't know how many sacks Thomas allowed his entire college career, but how's this one: He only allowed one sack in the NFL as a rookie last year. It was in the first half of the first game and some said Charlie Frye held onto the ball for too long. Need further evidence? In 2006, the year before they drafted Thomas, the Browns allowed the 3rd most sacks in the NFL (54). In 2007? 19. 3rd fewest behind us (16) and the Bengals (17).

Jake Long is not as athletic as Joe Thomas; as a result he may have problems with smaller pass-rushers. Vernon Gholston beat him for his only sack as a senior and plowed through him the year before:

YouTube - Vernon Gholston

Long's footwork isn't as good and he's not as fundamentally sound as Thomas. He's a very good prospect in his own right: He's excellent against the run, he's physical, he's tough and he's pretty mobile for a man his size... but he is not as good as Joe Thomas. His athleticism, his agility and his technique are not on par with his. STILL GOOD, but not the elite prospect Thomas was. He does have the premium size, strength and intangibles to become a dominant OT. Whatever happens at the next level is what matters; in 2006, the best offensive lineman was not the one the Jets took at #4 (Ferguson), but the one the Chargers took in the 2nd round (McNeill), so we'll see what happens. The way Thomas has played so far, he's not really "toppable", but he can be equalled.

At this stage, the consensus would seem to be that Jake Long is not as good a prospect as Joe Thomas is. Seeing as how you saw fit to call me out yesterday and said I was full of it, I'm calling you out now to make a case for Jake Long, both as the best player for the Dolphins in this draft, by the large margin you claim he is, and as a better prospect than Joe Thomas. Kindly put some effort into it.

FWIW, I'd take Long, too, but that's what's good about opinions, isn't it?

This is dead on with the analysis that I have seen on ESPN and the NFL Network. I'm no scout and I have not watched tape, but this is what others have said that are scouts and do watch tape. However these are the same scouts and "experts" that missed Marques Colston and Ahmad Bradshaw. So... :idunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom