OMG!!! This coach took the blame for a mistake! OMG!! (1 Viewer)

It was a bad call considering the situation we were in. We needed points, any points, to settle the game down and get back into our gameplan.

That's the sort of call you pull out in a shoot-out or when you're ahead, not when you're trying to work your way back into the game.

It was a bad call considering the situation we were in. We needed points, any points, to settle the game down and get back into our gameplan.

That's the sort of call you pull out in a shoot-out or when you're ahead, not when you're trying to work your way back into the game.

I thought the call was pretty nuts although the play wasn't badly designed. Colston had perfect position to catch that pass if its thrown a yard shorter.

We were only down 7 points at the time and looking to at worst pull within 4. I think you put the ball in bree's hands down there and let him work Colston or maybe a TE that close. Was a weird call to say the least.

I pretty much agree. I like the play actually--but it seemed like a really strange time to use it.

When you let any player other than the quarterback throw the ball, there's always a big risk. Other players simply aren't used to looking at coverage.

While Payton taking the blame does not make the loss feel any better, it helps by making the players respect him more and therefore play better for him, rather than him saying it was the teams fault for the loss and losing the players respect. Besides, I'm sick about the loss too, but we are still sitting pretty and things like this are going to happen. Look at Carolina last night!!!

I hate to say it but Payton did get outcoached today. He found out too late the weakneess in the Ravens defesne (deep passes especially over the middle). That call to run a 7 step drop pass play when we were backed up at our own 2 was also a big mistake,

BTW if we end up kicking three field goals instead of goiing for it twice and throwing the pick, he score is 35-31 and not 35-22, which becomes a winnable game.

It wasn't a terrible play call. It was a bad pass, which will happen sometimes when a RB is throwing it.
Colston actually had good position to the sidelines. Bush threw it deep. All of McCallisters help was to the middle of the field.

When coaches put their players out of position to make a play, it's the coaches fault. We were in the Redzone against a top defense. The coach called an extremely bad play in that situation. The only player I want throwing passes in the redzone is the QB. Like another poster said, that's the type of play that you run from the 50 or 40 yard line so that the reciever has room to get behind the defense. That was just a bad call at the wrong time. Payton has already admitted it.

It was simply one of those days. I've seen every team have those sort of games at one time or the other

+1. I'm surprised nobody is on here talking about the beatdown Dallas laid on Carolina after the Hellokitties were up 14 on them. But I guess after a loss like that, perspective just kinda gets shoved out the window.

It was a great call if it works. How many times has reggie tryed to streach it to the sideline and get stuffed, how often has reggie drawn the entire defense to him as "a decoy" here was a chanced to get the entire flowing and attacking defense to bite on this play.

Bottom line, it think it was a great call, I've actually been waiting for that play but the worse possible thing happened. Even if Colston was covered, he still could have knocked it away if it was not thrown quite so far.

Good play, good call, bad result.

Payton, though, pointed the finger at himself when it came to Bush's inerrant pass to rookie wide receiver Marques Colston.

"There's an old saying that you let the runners run and the throwers throw and let the catchers catch," Payton said. "The mistake wasn't in the play.

"It was in me being stubborn enough to stay with after we jumped offsides, and then had 12 freaking guys in the huddle. I couldn't help but still run the play."

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunher...urce=rss&channel=sunherald_new_orleans_saints

I sometimes forget that Payton is a rookie Head Coach and will have growing pains along with the rest of the team. This article's insight into the playcalling and (more valuably) the glimpse into his thought processes, both at the time and after a bit of time had elapsed, give me quite a bit of confidence that Payton is only going to get better and better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom