On Campus at U of Bama. Saban Says SP Best Offensive Mind in Game (1 Viewer)

conversely,the possible worst defensive mind......drat :idunno:

The Saints most successful years on D were with Gregg Williams when Payton was able to be hands off on defense. But then he was totally hands off during the bountygate year and the defense became historically crappy under Spagnola and Vitt (plus some incredibly poor decisions by the front office). So Payton came back and had to dig in to right the ship, but there have been too many setbacks along the way.

I will say this as a positive: the Saints secondary is looking better than it has in a long time. Despite both top corners being out and Byrd's mostly uninspired play. They've done some things right in the secondary and that's half of the equation. Parts of the defense are going in the right direction but they need better performance from the front 7.

Anybody think Sean Payton could make it big in College Football? It seems to me like his Offense is better suited to pro players, rather than the revolving door of college players. Sean was fortunate to have Drew Brees all these years (not to undercut his offensive system), and in Dallas had Drew Bledsoe for a while.

Aside from asking a lot of his QB, I feel like he would produce/recruit solid OL and RB prospects, much like Auburn in recent history. I feel like his WRs though wouldn't be super highly rated though, more along the lines of Georgia; 1 great WR every now and then - AJ Green (I use SEC examples since I get the feeling many on here are LSU fans).

Defense would all depend on his D Coordinator, which in College can luckily be overcome by recruiting top talent at key positions.

Why was Saban at a presentation about economic development? Not doubting that there could be reasons he might be, just wondering...

Why was Saban at a presentation about economic development? Not doubting that there could be reasons he might be, just wondering...

No way. He wasn't. Since I was in Austin when it went from 100000 to 1.5 mil and I knew a little about what happened, they thought I knew "the magic." They took me to the Bryant club at the stadium and Saban was having lunch. To be real, to him, I was fly on a nats ***. I just asked him questions. I think his respect for SP was legit. Like peer to Peer respect. in no way was I going to ask Saban why he passed on Drew.

And hell no being from LSU was I going to ask for a pic or a signature. I do have some photos from his room at the club. He did pretend in a fake courteous shot about how many Texas boys he had on his squad. He was nice but reminded me of a little Napoleon and was glad to get rid of me.

Anybody think Sean Payton could make it big in College Football? It seems to me like his Offense is better suited to pro players, rather than the revolving door of college players. Sean was fortunate to have Drew Brees all these years (not to undercut his offensive system), and in Dallas had Drew Bledsoe for a while.

Aside from asking a lot of his QB, I feel like he would produce/recruit solid OL and RB prospects, much like Auburn in recent history. I feel like his WRs though wouldn't be super highly rated though, more along the lines of Georgia; 1 great WR every now and then - AJ Green (I use SEC examples since I get the feeling many on here are LSU fans).

Defense would all depend on his D Coordinator, which in College can luckily be overcome by recruiting top talent at key positions.

My impression and this could be though a saints homer filter was that he thought SP would be bored in college and SP needs the greatest offensive athletes on the biggest stage to really show his genius. But abain , this may be through my homer filters.

And to your Auburn comment, the emotions he shared towards Auburn were far more intense than those of LSU or Florida

Saban will probably go down as the greatest coach of all time. I think Bama will easily win another natty this year, maybe next too...

I used to really dislike the guy, but he's just an ******* professor who really does care if you show you're willing to work your *** off for that A+.

Respect!

I would have to agree with you on being the best ever. Back in the day when coaches like Bear Bryant and others could stock pile talent and their third stringers would probably finish in top 5 if they got to play. With today's rules limiting scholarships coaches cannot stock pile talent like they used to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would have to agree with you on being the best ever. Back in the day when coaches like Bear Bryant and others could stock pile talent and their third stringers would probably finish in top 5 if they got to play. With today's rules limiting scholarships coaches cannot stock pile talent like they used to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interestingly, that was brought up by one of the powrful younger faculty. According to him, in Bryants day, the national champion was declared before the bowls and that Bear could and did stack his schedule with a bunch of pansies. I have no idea if this was true, just repeating

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom