On Jamal Brown (1 Viewer)

Cougar 1

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Many dismissed him and felt we could win w/o him. And we have so far, BUT...

Cearly, Bushrod and Strief have played well, but also struggled alot today. Slowly but surely, the LT play is getting exposed. Thankful for our depth at the position, but, face it, Brown is our best LT. During his career under SP, he has had his share of penalties, but he has also kept Drew fairly clean, while playing the toughest O line position in the NFL.

And he has never had the luxury of a run game that we now have that keeps that passrushing DE at bay, and/or wears him down.

Win or lose against the Jets, Id rather see Brown, if healthy, after our bye week.

Jus Sayin.

I'm sure most people would prefer Brown in there, but we've already seen why it wasn't a huge deal to not have him. He's not an overly dominant LT, he's just solid. Carl Nicks on the other hand... this guy was mauling everybody today. All of PT's big runs came behind him and Nicks was opening huge holes.

I'm sure most people would prefer Brown in there, but we've already seen why it wasn't a huge deal to not have him. He's not an overly dominant LT, he's just solid. Carl Nicks on the other hand... this guy was mauling everybody today. All of PT's big runs came behind him and Nicks was opening huge holes.

Question:

Were we solid at LT in pass protection, esp in the first half ? Like I said, teams will start to look at weaknesses in our O, and the play at LT is one of em.

It was the play of the D that kept us in this one. By repeatedly getting the Bills O off the field and because we had the lead, we were able to wear down the Bills D in the second half by running the ball. If we were behind, and Drew was forced to pass more, he may have gotten hurt.

As for Carl Nicks:

I thought he was the steal of the entire 08 draft! Been following him since pre draft that year. Not only did SP get him, moving him to G (he played LT at Nebraska) was a brilliant move! I keep tellin folks that he and Jahri could be the best pair of young guards in the NFL! He has "Beast" written all over him!

we sure are running well without JB

Everyone would prefer to have Brown in there, and it IS a huge deal having him in there. He is a very good LT that can man handle his man most of the time. He has kept Brees jersey pretty darn clean since 2006. He's not just solid. Sean Payton had Heath Evans and TE's chipping Bushrod's and Strief's DE A LOT. Do NOT downplay Jammal Brown's importance to this team.

I agree, Jammal Brown is very important to this team and our best LT. It is nice for people to finally realize that. Athough I would agrue that Bushrod has done an excellent job and I think it was clear that he was pretty nicked up today (looks like he probably to injured to play today).

we sure are running well without JB

I think that has to do with more of an emphasis on the run game rather than Brown's impact on the offensive line.

I was one of the people that were really pulling for Bushrod to really succeed (as most Saints fans do) but Brown has proved he is clearly the better option. It would have been nice to move Brown to RT or maybe use him as trade bait but it's not worth risking Brees health.

Even though Brown is still the better option than Bushrod I must tip my hat to Bushrod, even though his play was shaky today he's played a couple of the better RDE's in the NFL and has done a comendable job for a backup.

Yeah, it'll be nice to have him back. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll be ready after the bye week. If not, not a huge deal. Strief looked good when I payed attention at least. Bushrod has been fine. Nothing spectacular, but fine.

I'm concerned about Bushrod's injury; and I do think the play at LT is starting to affect our ability to do some of the things we want to do on offense. Hurry back JB, you are definitely missed!

I'm not worried... we will just hear "64 is an eligible receiver, 64 is an eligible receiver" then there are no problems. (and if it's not 64 they'll put someone there)

Sure it takes up a receiver spot but drew doesn't need that many receivers anyways.

I'm not worried... we will just hear "64 is an eligible receiver, 64 is an eligible receiver" then there are no problems. (and if it's not 64 they'll put someone there)

Sure it takes up a receiver spot but drew doesn't need that many receivers anyways.

I want to agree with this, but any time you take an option away from Drew Brees, you're hurting the offense. Besides the wind and the pressure, that was one of the issues with the passing game today.

I want to agree with this, but any time you take an option away from Drew Brees, you're hurting the offense. Besides the wind and the pressure, that was one of the issues with the passing game today.

You're taking away another receiving threat, but you're giving him extra time with another blocker or another run blocker.

Its not like playing with 10 guys. Just a different look. Think double TE sets. Tons of teams run them effectively, including us at times.

I agree with all the Pro-Jamal Brown posters..

You have to understand how this guy excelled at what he did last year. He doesn't need help or chips which gives Brees another route runner and loosens up coverage. Its very important to get that accomplished.

Trust me

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom