On Rankins, remember Loomis has been open to trade talks in the past (1 Viewer)

I’m a big fan of Sheldon, but the reality is.. he’s finished the last 2 seasons on IR, and he’s entering the final year of his contract and the Saints (in all likelihood) will not be able to re-sign him.

If they can get something for him, I think they should.

Rankins definitely fits the criteria for being tradeable. It would be a loss, as he is a darn good player when healthy, but I would also understand if we got something for him while we could.

• 1Like
Reactions: LoE
Now that Sheldon has gotten both ankles right through surgical repairs and is reported to be dominating in camp, we want to trade him? I hope we can find a way to keep him.
I love Rankins too but no player has TWO surgeries and then gets "right". It's like saying Kiko is now "right" after his third surgery on his legs.

Hopefully he will have more great days ahead of him. He was really coming into his own before his first tear. But we'd be naive to not be super cautious about his injury history. Plus with the players wanting extensions, he's an obvious choice for a cap casualty.

Yes, perfect world we keep him this year and get one last great year out him before he goes to another team to get a contract he deserves. But it's not crazy to entertain trade offers for him.

• 1Like
I'm a big fan of Rankins too.

But he won't be signed next year. It's just an issue of cap space. Alvin Kamara & Demario Davis need new contracts. In the meantime, should we throw away a chance to sign Clowney? When the cost between them is similar? When we're so close to the Superbowl?

I want to see Drew finish with another Superbowl.

To those saying, get something while we can, there is always the compensatory draft pick he will likely attract if/when he signs elsewhere. And if you want to consider that's exactly what we'll be getting for Bridgewater's contract, then you know compensatory picks are part of this team's thinking.

A draft pick acquired now cannot be spent until next April anyway.

That's a good point, UK. Valid point.

Compensatory picks happen after Drew is (likely) gone. We have a shot at winning it all, this year. I'd love for Drew to retire in style.

To those saying, get something while we can, there is always the compensatory draft pick he will likely attract if/when he signs elsewhere. And if you want to consider that's exactly what we'll be getting for Bridgewater's contract, then you know compensatory picks are part of this team's thinking.

A draft pick acquired now cannot be spent until next April anyway.
I think Winston signing will offset losing Bridgewater

• 1Like
I think Winston signing will offset losing Bridgewater

I don't think so. Bridgewater signed a 3-year $63 million deal, while Winston was signed for one year and $1.1 million. If I am correct, Bridgewater would fetch a third round pick, but Winston would just count in the numbers of free agents signed.

I don't want to lose Rankins, but if someone wants to cough up a third round pick, I would take it. I want to accumulate as many picks as possible for the 2021 draft, while not hurting the ability of the Saints to make a Super Bowl run this season.

After Jacksonville tried to and was unable to get anything for a healthy and productive Fournette, I dont see anyone parting with draft picks for Rankins. His salary is hefty and he hasn't been fully healthy in a year and half. Plus if caps across the league are truly shrinking draft picks are going to be extra valuable

Better to keep him and reap production from a seemingly now healthy Sheldon. Then as someone pointed out get rewarded with a comp pick if he has a good campaign and gets a contract elsewhere.

This is a SuperBowl or bust team, the Saints need all they can to make this push. I'll take 5 years of stinking if N.O gets another trophy over 5 years of good teams and no title.

• 1Like
If it is purely a need to obtain more cap space for Clowney and/or AK, then I see the logic as we are deep at DL. Otherwise I would like to see us keep him for the SB run this year and as has been stated get a comp pick next year. I do also believe we could not get anything better than a 4th or 5th for Sheldon, which is not much compensation for a guy, if healthy, who could be a valuable part of the DL rotation!

• 1Like

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom