On Reflection - Don't think We Win Another SB with Goodell and Payton (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
The team was flat yesterday. They played poorly. SP was seriously outcoached, the players were flat until the end and Drew had one of his worst games in years. Yes he was getting pressure, but he is known for handling pressure and SP's West Coast ball control offense is perfect for pressure. Brees knows better than to hold onto the ball when there is pressure. Brees is awesome, but he put too much pressure on himself yesterday. We were outplayed and out-coached. However, Brees and Payton have been the 2nd best Coach-QB combo of this era. Bad day. Thank you 2 so much for the greatest run in Saints history. Next......

What really scares me is the prejudiced officiating nearly all year. That Pass Interference challenge rule was put in place from the total ref screwing we got last year. And guess what, there was blatant OPI. No ex ref or ex Head Coach said anything except it was flagrant OPI. I believe that Goodell has a little Napolean complex. Guarantee you he is very small - lol. After watching this horror officiating all year against us and again yesterday, IN OUR FREAKIN DOME, I'm afraid Goodell will never let Sean Payton win another SB regardless of what team he coaches in the NFL. Goodell is sick and crazy insecure and vindictive.

Even if I am right about that, and I pray that I am a total idiot about this, I want SP to be our coach until he decides to call it quits. I love Coach Payton. And I love Brees. Personally, I think he is too old to be at his top game over a 19 games season to win a SB. He's not the kid I saw at Westlake High. No doubt the greatest player to ever wear black and gold and my favorite Saint until I croak. If he comes back, I will be stoked. But I am just afraid Goodell will not let Payton win another SB. Screw Goodell.

As far as the team, I suspect our team was worn down emotionally. Drew going down for 5 games and the insane level the defense and O-line and MT played at during his absence. And then the team had to fight the refs this year. That had to take a toll on the team. This team proved over and over this year that it could and did overcomes huge obstacles - all year.

I love this team and am grateful to them also. I love our coaches and think they rock. And I love my fellow Who Dats, the best fan base in all of sports.

Lastly - congrats to the Vikes, Cousins and Zimmer. That was a ballzy call to Theilen and the pressure choke artist Cousins threw a perfect pass with the game on the line. That's was a great pass and awesome catch by Theilen. And Zimmer called a great game. The Vikes don't have a bunch of punk players like most of the teams. They are a classy team under a classy coach with the best front 4 on defense when healthy.

Onward!!!

Last edited:
Valid point but I can't blame coach for his grudge.

I really don't think there is bias between referees and the Saints.

But I do believe that the Al Riveron, Head of Officiating, is absolutely incompetent. He should never got the position, and he should have been gone 2 years ago.

The problems of officiating are far beyond Riveron. Think about the PI rule changed.

To me, owners didn't want to change it, then coaches rebelled against the status quo, and the rule changed. However, I think Riveron had the instruction of not applying the rule at all.

If the NFL was interested on fixing the officiating, it will start with a bigger budget for the officers.

The game to me, is less acceptable and enticing with the current status quo. I am seriously not enjoying the game anymore.

Valid point but I can't blame coach for his grudge.

Me neither. What Goodell did to him over Boutygate was a full out effort to completely break the man. No contact with anyone in the NFL for a year while he's going through a divorce. Loss of 2 #2 draft choices and yet he came back. What a great man of great courage. He should hate Goodell and Riveron, but regardless after a major rebuild, he led the Saints to the best record in the league over the last 3-years

Last edited:
I really don't think there is bias between referees and the Saints.

But I do believe that the Al Riveron, Head of Officiating, is absolutely incompetent. He should never got the position, and he should have been gone 2 years ago.

The problems of officiating are far beyond Riveron. Think about the PI rule changed.

To me, owners didn't want to change it, then coaches rebelled against the status quo, and the rule changed. However, I think Riveron had the instruction of not applying the rule at all.

If the NFL was interested on fixing the officiating, it will start with a bigger budget for the officers.

The game to me, is less acceptable and enticing with the current status quo. I am seriously not enjoying the game anymore.
I think it's two-fold.

I think in general, Riveron is bad at his job. Very bad. And Goodell likely doesn't care. The league will be a better place when both are gone. Hopefully.

But he absolutely has a bias against us. It's human nature. Stephen A Smith has said repeatedly that Payton apparently went scorched earth on Al behind the scenes last offseason. How can you not in human nature then develop a bias against that person? Add on to that that he and the referees were somehow offended that the Saints and their fans would have the *gasp* gaul to be that mad at the No Call. And then we sparked a rule change that he clearly DESPISES. And NOW we threw trash at one of his crews yesterday.

Human nature is undeniable. He, and the referees, have and will continue to clearly have a bias against us. I'm not saying it's bad to the point where they fix games, but they sure as hell aren't going to be proactive in helping us or shed tears when we are on the short end of the stick.

As far as will we win a Super Bowl under Payton with Goodell in charge...never say never. The Pats were able to get one after the whole deflate gate scandal and Goodell had just as much reason to hate the Pats/Boston as he probably does Payton/New Orleans.

But it's looking likely that 2019 was our best chance. Just off the simple fact of parity, and the fact that for whatever reason, the football gods hate us.

Not only do I think the OP is correct ... I don't think it's a controversial viewpoint.

The Saints still have a lot of good pieces to build around. But I think the Brees-led Saints--as currently constituted--are done if a title is the team goal.

Alternatively, the team can keep Brees around and tread water for maybe two more seasons. Maybe get a pair of 10- or 11-win seasons out of it. Maybe not. Not being a real threat to the NFC contenders either way.

The ref stuff? That is what it is at this point. That might have to wait until Payton retires :(

I mean sure the officiating isnt good by any means, but the games are totally on the players. No one forced Brees to throw the interception or have poor ball security, last year the Saints didn't bury the Rams early when they had a chance, and in '17 they came out flat (just like yesterday) and the defense couldn't close the deal. Yes the officials should make the correct calls for the sake of the game, but the Saints keep putting themselves in these bad situations. They can get back to and win a super bowl, but the playoffs for whatever reason they just lose their "edge" these past few years.

Think about 2009 and how confident and loose they were in the playoffs. They had a swagger that they havent been able to duplicate unfortunately.

There are plenty of teams that went on fantastic runs for years, but couldn't win multiple super bowls. Look at the '80s Bears, early 90s 49ers, late 90s Packers, Mannings Colts, as examples of this. Even the Bills who made it 4 freakin years in a row in the 90s. The Saints are unfortunately like these teams.

This loss is on the players and coaches. We did not play well yesterday--except for Taysom Hill, who was exceptional. We were beaten at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. On defense, the injuries suffered did affect our play. But on offense, I was reminded of the first Atlanta game. Our offensive line, a strength, did not perform well. And Brees did not have a good game and was responsible for the two turnovers, which cost us the game.

This loss is on the players and coaches. We did not play well yesterday--except for Taysom Hill, who was exceptional. We were beaten at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. On defense, the injuries suffered did affect our play. But on offense, I was reminded of the first Atlanta game. Our offensive line, a strength, did not perform well. And Brees did not have a good game and was responsible for the two turnovers, which cost us the game.

This is exactly how I see it....

I know as fans we like to think it's "just our team", but officiating is terrible across the board. It probably will continue with guys like Al Riveron at the helm who like to tell you that the foul you and everyone else saw in slow motion is not really a foul.

I felt like this was our last legit shot at it. But maybe I am just being emotional. As bad as the officiating was, as bad as we played, we went 13-3 and went into overtime. 13-3 overwhelmingly is enough for a first round bye. We didn't get it. It wasn't our year. Even had we won, something crazy would have happened in GB. It's not in the deck for us.

I think this year was such an emotional burn because we all hoped for justice from last year and the we didn't get it, not only that, we didn't get the calls; instead what we got was a constant stream of horribly slanted calls and uphill battles.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom