One common factor among all good/great NFL Drfenses (1 Viewer)

we should have never given cam jordan all that money. i get that he's probably one of the more talented players in this front, but we're paying him like a worldbeater, and expecting him to be one. he can get a little pressure consistently but hardly ever finishes with a sack and is too slow to pursue a quarterback once he's in the backfield.

There's multiple components to a pass rush.

And one of the most important ones, a common thread in all of the recent Super Bowl champions, and one that seems to be purposefully overlooked/sneered at on this board is a secondary that can hold up long enough for the pad rush to get home. Living in Seattle for the last seven years I've been able to witness the rise of Pete Carroll'a Seahawk defense, and I can tell you that without the LOB, the pass rush here wouldn't look as potent as it does. It's not that the D-line isn't very good, it is, but it's more oriented towards physically manhandling the opponents offensive line, disrupting the run game and making the opposing QB uncomfortable in the pocket than getting to the QB in 2.5 sec. A large proportion of the hawks' sacks are coverage sacks or come off the blitz.

I remember reading a excellent article on the demise of the Tampa-2 a couple of years back that illuminated why that makes sense and why the trend in the modern NFL is for defenses to be more secondary-centric. Here's a quote from that article:

Coinciding with the increased use of three-receiver sets has been the rise of three- and five-step timing in the passing game. That’s not surprising. More receivers typically means wider spread formations, which means a horizontally-stretched defense. That makes passing lanes easier for quarterbacks and receivers to identify before the snap, enabling the ball to come out quicker. This nullifies the four-man rush.

The once vaunted Cover 2 pass coverage is on the verge of extinction | The MMQB with Peter King

So to me it makes complete sense that our defense looked like world beaters yesterday all the way up until Breaux went down. Hopefully we can find the right combination of corners to be able to tread water until he comes back.

we should have never given cam jordan all that money. i get that he's probably one of the more talented players in this front, but we're paying him like a worldbeater, and expecting him to be one. he can get a little pressure consistently but hardly ever finishes with a sack and is too slow to pursue a quarterback once he's in the backfield.

If we hadn't paid him, he would be chasing QB's for the Jets or Dolphins, and we would be disappointed with his replacement.

Gotta pay your linemen! You can cheap out in many other positions, but not there.

If we hadn't paid him, he would be chasing QB's for the Jets or Dolphins, and we would be disappointed with his replacement.

Gotta pay your linemen! You can cheap out in many other positions, but not there.

Overpaying for a guy like cam jordan sets the bar that low for the rest of the team. Play good enough to not be a total disaster and the saints will dump a truckload of money in your lap. Honestly is anyone not on their rookie contract earning their paycheck besides brees, armstead and unger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overpaying for a guy like cam jordan sets the bar that low for the rest of the team. Play good enough to not be a total disaster and the saints will dump a truckload of money in your lap. Honestly is anyone not on their rookie contract earning their paycheck besides brees, armstead and unger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We didn't really overpay.

He got 33 million guranteed and 10 million a year. At the time, it seemed like a pretty cheap deal compared to others being handed out. That's not that much for a DE who usually gets you 10 or so sacks.

DL players just cost money. Even if they aren't elite.

We didn't really overpay.

He got 33 million guranteed and 10 million a year. At the time, it seemed like a pretty cheap deal compared to others being handed out. That's not that much for a DE who usually gets you 10 or so sacks.

DL players just cost money. Even if they aren't elite.

gotta look beyond the number of sacks and focus on when he's getting them. cam feasts on bad teams. the bar is so low to get paid in new orleans. our talent evaluation is bad enough when looking outside the roster. it's mind numbing to think that it's worse when evaluating the talent in the building.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom