One movie. One book. One song. (1 Viewer)

Shawshank Redemption
On food and cooking (Harold Mcgee)
Message in a bottle

1) Cool Hand Luke
2) Raising Arizona

1) Rising Tide: The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 and How It Changed America - John M. Barry
2) The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien

1) Every Breath You Take - The Police
2) Empty Garden - Elton John

The Big Lebowski
Blood on the Rooftops (just learned on guitar but it will take a good while before I can make it sound....presentable)
The Hobbit...

LotR- fellowship

Elephant Vanishes - Haruki Murakami

Brandenburg Concerti - would like a ruling if I can consider this ‘a’ song— if not then #2
:rant: It drives me crazy when everything musical is called a "song." This is computerese at its worst, and we are all victims of it.

A symphony is not a song. A Brandenburg Concerto is not a song. An opera is not a song. West Side Story is not a song. A song is a short musical work for voice(s) unless so specified. There are pieces called Songs without Words. Note that I said "pieces." I could have said "musical works" or even just "works." Or name the actual genre like "symphony" or "concerto" or "sonata," etc. It would be like calling every literary work a "book," whereas you have poems, short stories, plays.

Despite that, Bach's Brandenburg Concerti are a great choice. :9: Fun fact: they were written as a job application. but Bach didn't get the job. :hihi: Guess which one we remember today, J.S. Bach or the Margrave of Brandenburg? :smilielol:

:rant: It drives me crazy when everything musical is called a "song." This is computerese at its worst, and we are all victims of it.

A symphony is not a song. A Brandenburg Concerto is not a song. An opera is not a song. West Side Story is not a song. A song is a short musical work for voice(s) unless so specified. There are pieces called Songs without Words. Note that I said "pieces." I could have said "musical works" or even just "works." Or name the actual genre like "symphony" or "concerto" or "sonata," etc. It would be like calling every literary work a "book," whereas you have poems, short stories, plays.

Despite that, Bach's Brandenburg Concerti are a great choice. :9: Fun fact: they were written as a job application. but Bach didn't get the job. :hihi: Guess which one we remember today, J.S. Bach or the Margrave of Brandenburg? :smilielol:
In terms of modern usage, you are mostly correct
the etymology of song/sing is more expansive and inclusive
and I will choose the understanding/meaning that gets me Bach

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom