One of the best wins in Payton's era (1 Viewer)

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
It wasn't a pretty game, it wasn't really even an important game in week 3 vs an AFC opponent. However, this is the type of game we lose in the past. Today's game reminded me of the Redskins game in 2006, the Rams game and Titans in 2007 and just about every other game along the way where the passing game struggled and we lost.

The difference between those and this game is great defense and a damn good running game. Payton allowed our offensive line to simply take that game over and put trust in the running game and put trust in the defense. The third and 9 draw to Bush is a beautiful example of how Payton trusted the defense and played it safe.

I don't expect this to become our type of offense but it is the type of offense that wins playoff games. I love Brees, he is hands down the best player in football but in the NFL it is extremely hard to ask one player to win every game.

Not only are defensive coordinators not going to sleep well against this offense but offensive coordinators and head coaches are going to have nightmares at the thought of our passing game being shut down and giving up 200 yards on the ground while our defense swarms to the ball, plays tough and disciplined while forcing turnovers.

This type of game is one that we needed. Not only does Drew Brees set the tempo but our offensive line, RBs and now even the defense can dictate the game to the opposition.

I was extremely down on Payton from the NFC Championship game loss all the way until around the middle of last season and he finally learned, something finally clicked and he realized that he would have to find the will power to stick with the running game when that is all the defense would give. This season I think he really understands it and the addition of Greer, Sharper and Williams gives Payton the confidence to lean on the running game and play a slower tempo of football when needed.

It wasn't a pretty game, it wasn't really even an important game in week 3 vs an AFC opponent. However, this is the type of game we lose in the past. Today's game reminded me of the Redskins game in 2006, the Rams game and Titans in 2007 and just about every other game along the way where the passing game struggled and we lost.

The difference between those and this game is great defense and a damn good running game. Payton allowed our offensive line to simply take that game over and put trust in the running game and put trust in the defense. The third and 9 draw to Bush is a beautiful example of how Payton trusted the defense and played it safe.

I don't expect this to become our type of offense but it is the type of offense that wins playoff games. I love Brees, he is hands down the best player in football but in the NFL it is extremely hard to ask one player to win every game.

Not only are defensive coordinators not going to sleep well against this offense but offensive coordinators and head coaches are going to have nightmares at the thought of our passing game being shut down and giving up 200 yards on the ground while our defense swarms to the ball, plays tough and disciplined while forcing turnovers.

This type of game is one that we needed. Not only does Drew Brees set the tempo but our offensive line, RBs and now even the defense can dictate the game to the opposition.

I was extremely down on Payton from the NFC Championship game lost all the way until around the middle of last season and he finally learned, something finally clicked and he realized that he would have to find the will power to stick with the running game when that is all the defense would give. This season I think he really understands it and the addition of Greer, Sharper and Williams gives Payton the confidence to lean on the running game and play a slower tempo of football.

The most impressive victory I've seen from a Payton-coached team since 2006. The way we won this game should send shockwaves around the league.

our D didn't surrender a single point.
our D didn't surrender a single point.

are you kidding me?

winnning with a running game and defense are characteristic of the steelers, ravens and bears.

payton made a great adjustment and recognized that they were giving us the middle of the field in the passing game and were daring us to run the ball.

props to payton for the halftime adjustment.

props to GW for the shut out.

great thread dude.

I absolutely agree, bclemms.

These are the games you must win - the games you look at in February that make or brake your year. Payton has grown along with this team.

Yup, have to agree, it was boring to watch on offense and hard on a Fantasy team but it shows that we can take over a game and have our way with the competition. Love being 3-0 !

Played 60 minutes of ball, I got to say this is one of the best wins I have ever seen. Thank you :worthy: Defense, Special teams, and Running game.

The Bills could hardly muster up a first down in the second half. Gregg Williams earned his money today.

I still had some big questions coming into this game, but after watching the running game and the defense I feel like we can beat anybody in the league now on any given Sunday.

Agreed...we witnessed Coach Payton not try and ram the pass when it wasn't working. He let the RBs do their thing and oh....how sweet it is!

:beerchug:

Remember to spread some love to the monstrous rookie punter Morestead!

I too am very impressed. I was a bit worried during the first half. Thought the Bills "had figured out the Saints". Half time adjustment was genius. And where did that pressure on the QB come from? Suddenly both Grant and Smith had big games (that a first for a very long time). Impressive, smashmouth, dominant. Got to love them Saints

I was extremely down on Payton from the NFC Championship game loss all the way until around the middle of last season and he finally learned, something finally clicked and he realized that he would have to find the will power to stick with the running game when that is all the defense would give. This season I think he really understands it and the addition of Greer, Sharper and Williams gives Payton the confidence to lean on the running game and play a slower tempo of football when needed.

Totaly agree. Payton has grown up as a head coach. Today he stuck with the running game and it was beautiful football. This wasn't finesse football but old school smash mouth running and defensive ball. Props to Payton for his game management in this one. Also, props for getting in Gregg Williams. That defense brought the heat today!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom