One of the best wins in Payton's era (1 Viewer)

Agree with all of you. Not only was this proof that Payton has learned how to make the right adjustments in order to win, I am so impressed with this team's ability to hang tough when it's not going like you want it to go.

That fake field goal had them reeling for a while, but then they put their heads down and muscled their way back to a win. Stout defense! Special teams did well again. And they RAN THE BALL right down the Bills' throat till they couldn't take it anymore.

This was a well-fought, hard-earned and well-deserved win by a team who is showing who it is and really carving out an unmistakable identity for itself:

THE SAINTS ARE WINNERS :worthy:

Bless you boys! Well done. :9:

I too am very impressed. I was a bit worried during the first half. Thought the Bills "had figured out the Saints". Half time adjustment was genius. And where did that pressure on the QB come from? Suddenly both Grant and Smith had big games (that a first for a very long time). Impressive, smashmouth, dominant. Got to love them Saints

Big Sed was getting a great late game push...he simply wasn't allowing Edwards to stay put...and Grant and Smith fed off that.

I love how we got this win. It wasn't pretty but who cares, I loved watching the defense putting a lot of pressure on Edwards.

I'm 100% sure that we would have lost this game last year and was telling myself when it was still 10-7, if we are a different team this year and want to go far then we have to come away with this win and we did. I'm glad I stayed up to watch it.

i love how he fired up the three former 1st rounders on the D-line. Whatever he told them it worked!:ezbill:

It's a win and another week in the "sun" and they didn't ruin my B-day which makes my wife and kid very happy.

Could not agree more with this post. This is the kind of game that would have been a blowout (the other way) last year and the year before.

To have Drew Brees held to under 200 yards, no touchdowns, and one fumble, and still win 27-7 in a hostile environment for the second week in a way, after an emotional win the week before...

...the Saints have arrived, folks.

I was extremely down on Payton from the NFC Championship game loss all the way until around the middle of last season and he finally learned, something finally clicked and he realized that he would have to find the will power to stick with the running game when that is all the defense would give. This season I think he really understands it and the addition of Greer, Sharper and Williams gives Payton the confidence to lean on the running game and play a slower tempo of football when needed.
That was what was encouraging to me.

There was a point where I was thinking, "Pressure is there and coverage is tight. If we keep throwing there is going to be a turnover that blows the game open for the Bills. Time to run the ball".

An not much after that he started dialing up PT.

Was a great thing to see.

I think going into this game, it wasn't very important as far as statement games go. But I think we made a statement anyways! We ran over the Bilks D and we didn't allow their offense to score a single point. Our D looked Great!

Running offense and supersolid defense! Statement made!

If I were Rex Ryan, I'd watch the smack talk this week. Try and shut down the pass, watch what happens. For the first time in a long time I can honestly say I am impressed with this ENTIRE team.

I think Greg Williams has effective more than just the defense. I think he has helped change the attitude of the entire team and may have taught Payton a few of the little things he needed to win ball games. Props to Payton for bringing him here.

I'm 100% sure that we would have lost this game last year and was telling myself when it was still 10-7, if we are a different team this year and want to go far then we have to come away with this win and we did. I'm glad I stayed up to watch it.

Excellent point. I needed a game like this to convince me that this team is different, better, and a true contender. After today, I believe it is on all accounts. If we stay healthy, I predict we go deep in the playoffs.

It wasn't a pretty game, it wasn't really even an important game in week 3 vs an AFC opponent. However, this is the type of game we lose in the past. Today's game reminded me of the Redskins game in 2006, the Rams game and Titans in 2007 and just about every other game along the way where the passing game struggled and we lost.

The difference between those and this game is great defense and a damn good running game. Payton allowed our offensive line to simply take that game over and put trust in the running game and put trust in the defense. The third and 9 draw to Bush is a beautiful example of how Payton trusted the defense and played it safe.

I don't expect this to become our type of offense but it is the type of offense that wins playoff games. I love Brees, he is hands down the best player in football but in the NFL it is extremely hard to ask one player to win every game.

Not only are defensive coordinators not going to sleep well against this offense but offensive coordinators and head coaches are going to have nightmares at the thought of our passing game being shut down and giving up 200 yards on the ground while our defense swarms to the ball, plays tough and disciplined while forcing turnovers.

This type of game is one that we needed. Not only does Drew Brees set the tempo but our offensive line, RBs and now even the defense can dictate the game to the opposition.

I was extremely down on Payton from the NFC Championship game loss all the way until around the middle of last season and he finally learned, something finally clicked and he realized that he would have to find the will power to stick with the running game when that is all the defense would give. This season I think he really understands it and the addition of Greer, Sharper and Williams gives Payton the confidence to lean on the running game and play a slower tempo of football when needed.

Don't forget Heath freakin' Evans!

Got to throw some credit to Nicks. He was blowing open holes for PT at the end of the game! He's a beast.

This Win tells the entire NFL the SAINTS are not a finess team . We will hit you in the mouth and run it down your throat if you hold our passing game in check. Great win the League should now take notice that this team is for real and we are here to PROVE it !!

Great post I AGREE!!

Yep yep yep!!
it wasn't a pretty game, it wasn't really even an important game in week 3 vs an afc opponent. However, this is the type of game we lose in the past. Today's game reminded me of the redskins game in 2006, the rams game and titans in 2007 and just about every other game along the way where the passing game struggled and we lost.

The difference between those and this game is great defense and a damn good running game. Payton allowed our offensive line to simply take that game over and put trust in the running game and put trust in the defense. The third and 9 draw to bush is a beautiful example of how payton trusted the defense and played it safe.

I don't expect this to become our type of offense but it is the type of offense that wins playoff games. I love brees, he is hands down the best player in football but in the nfl it is extremely hard to ask one player to win every game.

Not only are defensive coordinators not going to sleep well against this offense but offensive coordinators and head coaches are going to have nightmares at the thought of our passing game being shut down and giving up 200 yards on the ground while our defense swarms to the ball, plays tough and disciplined while forcing turnovers.

This type of game is one that we needed. Not only does drew brees set the tempo but our offensive line, rbs and now even the defense can dictate the game to the opposition.

I was extremely down on payton from the nfc championship game loss all the way until around the middle of last season and he finally learned, something finally clicked and he realized that he would have to find the will power to stick with the running game when that is all the defense would give. This season i think he really understands it and the addition of greer, sharper and williams gives payton the confidence to lean on the running game and play a slower tempo of football when needed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom