One of the biggest problems with America today: People don't know how to disagree but still get along (1 Viewer)

Kegger

Up North
Reaction score
Drew's comments yesterday were basically stating that while he knows that something must be done about the racial inequality in the country, he doesn't think that kneeling during the national anthem is the right way to do it. For that, he has been crucified. His view is that not standing at attention during the national anthem is disrespectful to the sacrifices of all those that allow us our freedoms today. What he's missing is that today's America still has a long way to go, and on the particular issue of racial inequality he hasn't really had to experience that first hand, so saying that 'America is great' sounds tone deaf coming from a white man. I think the right response would be for someone to listen to what he's saying, try to understand his viewpoint, and then try to explain why people think that kneeling during the anthem is a right way to protest.

Beyond this particular instance, I think that one of the biggest problems in America today is that people don't know how to disagree but still get along. If someone has a different view than you, it's easy to just say 'screw that person' rather than sit down and have a hard conversation. This leads to the extreme polarization we see in politics and beyond.

Tell that to people who kneel on a man's neck for 8 minutes while he begs for his life.

Get along with that?

Fat chance.

True, someone willing to do that to another human is likely beyond reason. I was more talking about the other 95% of people that are reasonable. I think Drew is a reasonable person, and I'd like to see people try to have a conversation with him to let him know why they think his views are off-base before they throw him under the bus.

Better said if Drew would have stated because he was asked a question" TO ME I don't feel like kneeling for the flag is the best way to protest in my opinion, but if people feel like this is the best way to get their message across then that is how they feel and they have a right to" simply could have been put.

Tell that to people who kneel on a man's neck for 8 minutes while he begs for his life.

Get along with that?

Fat chance.
To "the people".... I saw one man.... one very violent and very likely racist man.... I saw three subordinates who were asking their boss to stop... should they have jumped in? Of course they should have... But who are "those people" Me??? I am one of "those people" who believe THAT COP should burn... who recognizes that our country is far from perfect but is still a country I am proud of.. a country who's flag I will stand and salute... a country that I want to help improve for ALL PEOPLE.... because you see "the people" are outraged at what happened... "the people" are also outraged that a white cop was shot in the back of the head trying to protect private property.. "the people" are outraged that a 60 something Y.o. black cop was shot serving as a security guard by "the protestors"...
I know we can't talk about "the protestors"... but you can generalize about "the people"

To "the people".... I saw one man.... one very violent and very likely racist man.... I saw three subordinates who were asking their boss to stop... should they have jumped in? Of course they should have... But who are "those people" Me??? I am one of "those people" who believe THAT COP should burn... who recognizes that our country is far from perfect but is still a country I am proud of.. a country who's flag I will stand and salute... a country that I want to help improve for ALL PEOPLE.... because you see "the people" are outraged at what happened... "the people" are also outraged that a white cop was shot in the back of the head trying to protect private property.. "the people" are outraged that a 60 something Y.o. black cop was shot serving as a security guard by "the protestors"...
I know we can't talk about "the protestors"... but you can generalize about "the people"

Four have been charged.

200604092316-02-george-floyd-police-mugshots-exlarge-169.jpg

Thomas Lane and J. Alexander Kueng, who helped restrain Floyd, and Tou Thao, who stood near the others, were not initially charged. Lane, 37, Kueng, 26, and Thao, 34, are now charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter.

Again, sorry, but I feel like I need to say this. Please move if necessary.
One of the main problems is that we have a president that has made it impossible to take the middle ground on anything. He was the one that turned Kaepernick’s protest into a political stance. If he would’ve just not said anything, I feel the majority would’ve supported Colin’s protest and his stance.

Drew's comments yesterday were basically stating that while he knows that something must be done about the racial inequality in the country, he doesn't think that kneeling during the national anthem is the right way to do it. For that, he has been crucified. His view is that not standing at attention during the national anthem is disrespectful to the sacrifices of all those that allow us our freedoms today. What he's missing is that today's America still has a long way to go, and on the particular issue of racial inequality he hasn't really had to experience that first hand, so saying that 'America is great' sounds tone deaf coming from a white man. I think the right response would be for someone to listen to what he's saying, try to understand his viewpoint, and then try to explain why people think that kneeling during the anthem is a right way to protest.

Beyond this particular instance, I think that one of the biggest problems in America today is that people don't know how to disagree but still get along. If someone has a different view than you, it's easy to just say 'screw that person' rather than sit down and have a hard conversation. This leads to the extreme polarization we see in politics and beyond.

I just posted something similar in the Malcolm Jenkins thread. The bottom line is people need to understand that a person who will criticize another person and then not listen to them is not down for this cause in the first place. Just like the people rioting and breaking things are not on the side they are pretending to be on. The deception we are witnessing is historic to say the least. None of us actually know what is going on behind closed doors in any of these debates. I mean the presidential candidates from each side could be talking on the phone at night in regards to how they are going to debate. They are fighting right now over the autopsy of this mans death. So, even that is political. It’s really sad that humanity has to be labeled based on one man’s ( the presidents) opinion. I can guarantee that every human believes in something from each side. So, why can’t they meet in the middle for the sake of humanity?

Tell that to the black on black murders that occur on a daily in Chicago, wheres the outrage?
Here we go. First it’s disrespectful to the flag and now black on black crime. Typical white people deflections points. Super ignorant. Not surprised. Scared to face the truth. Police have been killing blacks for centuries. Police are used as the enforcement of the oppression of black people. You think that lil goofy white cop who kneeled on Mr Floyd’s neck would’ve did that if he wasn’t a cop? Why not. Because he would’ve got his butt kicked. We’re tired of these small, uneducated, swagless white cops messing with us only because they have a gun, badge, prosecutors, judges and juries on their side.

Here we go. First it’s disrespectful to the flag and now black on black crime. Typical white people deflections points. Super ignorant. Not surprised. Scared to face the truth. Police have been killing blacks for centuries. Police are used as the enforcement of the oppression of black people. You think that lil goofy white cop who kneeled on Mr Floyd’s neck would’ve did that if he wasn’t a cop? Why not. Because he would’ve got his butt kicked. We’re tired of these small, uneducated, swagless white cops messing with us only because they have a gun, badge, prosecutors, judges and juries on their side.

let’s not act like you have to have “swag” to be able to defend yourself.

The problem isn't agreeing or disagreeing with people's opinions.

The LEAST disrespectful thing you can to the American Flag is to use it for peaceful protest.

I actually think it is a rather good idea to hold those with high visibility and power to account if their words do harm to the above.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom