One of the biggest problems with America today: People don't know how to disagree but still get along (1 Viewer)

There is and has always been outrage. Thats on you for being ignorant to it and that behavior parallels the current situation Drew is in.

Also, how is it that you and people who share your "opinions" ignore the context and causes of these issues so easily?
You do know that all over the globe, the most impoverished areas are always the most violent, right?
You do know its not exclusively a "black people" thing, right?
You do know about everything that led up to this point where black people are, by and large, impoverished in America, right?

If you know and still choose to subscribe to your current perspective, it's much easier and accurate to call you out for what you are, a racist.

If you don't know, you're ignorant and that's on you.
There you have it, I' m a racist for making a statement and asking a question. That's where we are as a nation. One sided, no dialect.

And they'll probably be acquitted because Keith Ellison is an activist first and an attorney general second. What a moron.
[/QUOTE

"Probably" , "because of", .....................................and you want understanding.

There you have it, I' m a racist for making a statement and asking a question. That's where we are as a nation. One sided, no dialect.
Dialogue. The word is dialogue.

But hey, if the shoe fits.

If you read the questions I posed and came to that conclusion, so be it.

Drew's comments yesterday were basically stating that while he knows that something must be done about the racial inequality in the country, he doesn't think that kneeling during the national anthem is the right way to do it. For that, he has been crucified. His view is that not standing at attention during the national anthem is disrespectful to the sacrifices of all those that allow us our freedoms today. What he's missing is that today's America still has a long way to go, and on the particular issue of racial inequality he hasn't really had to experience that first hand, so saying that 'America is great' sounds tone deaf coming from a white man. I think the right response would be for someone to listen to what he's saying, try to understand his viewpoint, and then try to explain why people think that kneeling during the anthem is a right way to protest.

Beyond this particular instance, I think that one of the biggest problems in America today is that people don't know how to disagree but still get along. If someone has a different view than you, it's easy to just say 'screw that person' rather than sit down and have a hard conversation. This leads to the extreme polarization we see in politics and beyond.
I would counter your claim and submit that an even bigger problem is that people don't listen as evidenced by your original post.

Let me try to help.
You know who cares about black on black violence? Black people
Why is there so much black on black violence? Lots of unemployed young men
Why are they unemployed? Because it's hard to get work when you're a felon
Why are there so many felons? Because of the War on Drugs
Why are so many felons black? Because of the War on Drugs

The root cause is systemic oppression. But we should ask them to be outraged about "black on black" violence?

I'm not trying to be hard on you. It's not something that's intuitive or easy to see, especially if you're white. You have to have an open mind and be willing to educate yourself.

Let me try to help.
You know who cares about black on black violence? Black people
Why is there so much black on black violence? Lots of unemployed young men
Why are they unemployed? Because it's hard to get work when you're a felon
Why are there so many felons? Because of the War on Drugs
Why are so many felons black? Because of the War on Drugs

The root cause is systemic oppression. But we should ask them to be outraged about "black on black" violence?

I'm not trying to be hard on you. It's not something that's intuitive or easy to see, especially if you're white. You have to have an open mind and be willing to educate yourself.
I'll double down with helping with this easily digestible animation:

Last edited:
And despite being 13% of the population, they accounted for half of all total murders, half of all robberies, a third of all aggravated assaults, and 25% of criminal offenses overall in 2018.

You don't think these numbers might portend a slightly increased likelihood of police encounters by blacks? Which would statistically increase the likelihood of bad outcomes?

So the first person tries to use absolute numbers to prove there is no racism in which unarmed citizens get shot by police.

When that fails, now we're back to proportionate percentages again. Which is it?

And perhaps you don't know how over policing works. Despite the fact that African Americans were subject to government sanctioned redlining (another subject I pretty sure you know nothing about), overpolicing means African Americans are far more likely to be arrested (which are the numbers you presented). Being arrested doesn't mean you are guilty,

It's the scenario of an African American being pulled over for a DUI while a "white" american drives by with a murdered body in their trunk. Why? Police simple aren't looking that way. That's how Rex Chapman can rob an Apple store 7 times before he finally gets caught and counted among the "white" crime statistics.

Does that help explain anything for you?

The problem is folks will ignore FACTS to push their own opinions/agendas. The whole it’s fake news because it doesn’t fit my agenda. And we have politicized basic human rights. If your wrong, like flat out wrong, I’m not going to disagree with you, I’m going to tell you, you’re wrong, here are the facts. And if you still have an opinion that doesn’t match basic data, you are not worth my time

For example, you can’t look at this data and tell me we don’t have a problem with 1) police violence and 2)over policing and a bias among some police officers.

Attachments

• 1B91122E-5325-4EA9-8B8D-225451753DE9.jpeg
    1B91122E-5325-4EA9-8B8D-225451753DE9.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
So the first person tries to use absolute numbers to prove there is no racism in which unarmed citizens get shot by police.

When that fails, now we're back to proportionate percentages again. Which is it?

Proportionate percentages. Per capita. Always.

And perhaps you don't know how over policing works. Despite the fact that African Americans were subject to government sanctioned redlining (another subject I pretty sure you know nothing about), overpolicing means African Americans are far more likely to be arrested (which are the numbers you presented). Being arrested doesn't mean you are guilty,

Yeah, and being shot by police while unarmed doesn't mean you weren't the aggressor either.

It's the scenario of an African American being pulled over for a DUI while a "white" american drives by with a murdered body in their trunk. Why? Police simple aren't looking that way. That's how Rex Chapman can rob an Apple store 7 times before he finally gets caught and counted among the "white" crime statistics.

Does that help explain anything for you?

No, what it explains is that you'll reject all evidence that implicates anything other than white racism. No honest person looks at such numbers and concludes that it's all a conspiracy to put the black man down.

Whatever racism does exist, it's near the bottom of the list of problems plaguing black Americans.

Drew's comments yesterday were basically stating that while he knows that something must be done about the racial inequality in the country, he doesn't think that kneeling during the national anthem is the right way to do it. For that, he has been crucified. His view is that not standing at attention during the national anthem is disrespectful to the sacrifices of all those that allow us our freedoms today. What he's missing is that today's America still has a long way to go, and on the particular issue of racial inequality he hasn't really had to experience that first hand, so saying that 'America is great' sounds tone deaf coming from a white man. I think the right response would be for someone to listen to what he's saying, try to understand his viewpoint, and then try to explain why people think that kneeling during the anthem is a right way to protest.

Beyond this particular instance, I think that one of the biggest problems in America today is that people don't know how to disagree but still get along. If someone has a different view than you, it's easy to just say 'screw that person' rather than sit down and have a hard conversation. This leads to the extreme polarization we see in politics and beyond.

He wasn't crucified. He was castigated. One is a horrendous method of physical punishment until death, and the other is simply being reprimanded for being wrong. If you want to have dialogue, then use your words correctly and stop exaggerating. Drew is big boy: he lives in a locker room and football culture where the only way to NOT know what the kneeling is for is to be sublimely blithe, and the beef/disappointment was that he took the wrong occasion to reinforce a personal opinion that no one needed to hear. The moment is focused on racial injustice, inequality, and police violence as representative of those horrors, not "the flag" as an untouchable figurehead of the USA. What he said was tone-deaf and unnecessary, and what happened afterwards was a large number of people - including those he works & lives with - discussing how tone-deaf and unnecessary his opinion was. The did listen, they did understand, and they did explain his personal opinion was uttered at the wrong time.

Drew thinks that any disrespect to the flag is too much. I think he is wrong (just as many here will think I am wrong), and to show such reverence for some cloth fibers over human lives is at best naive and at worst full-fledged support for a system that badly needs change. What he did was akin to stepping into a breast cancer support group to discuss how important it is to make your bed. Yes, it is important to make your bed, but it is MOST IMPORTANT to support life. His apology today seemed to indicate an understanding of this. And THAT is how conversations work.

Tell that to the black on black murders that occur on a daily in Chicago, wheres the outrage?
Yeah. Someone should tell the criminals on the streets to stop killing. That will solve the problem. Just walk up to them and be like, "No. Stop that."

Only when black people can end all violent crime in Chicago can we get cops to stop murdering people.

My whole problem with this is maybe .50% of people actually believe the cop is in the right.. but 100%of America has to pay for the action.

Proportionate percentages. Per capita. Always.

There is literally the post I responded to that did NOT use proportionate percentages to try and prove racism doesnt exist. Address THAT post instead of mine.

Yeah, and being shot by police while unarmed doesn't mean you weren't the aggressor either.

Who said it did? And showing one example of when it doesn't will not suffice. That's not how data and worthy evidence to support your claim works. Try again without failing.

No, what it explains is that you'll reject all evidence that implicates anything other than white racism. No honest person looks at such numbers and concludes that it's all a conspiracy to put the black man down.

Whatever racism does exist, it's near the bottom of the list of problems plaguing black Americans.

What evidence? What numbers? How do arrest statistics prove racism is at the bottom of AA problems? What have you presented so far that says the below is pure BS.

Here is a favorite city of online folk of your ilk...Chicago.

Fifty years after the federal Fair Housing Act banned racial discrimination in lending, African Americans and Latinos continue to be routinely denied conventional mortgage loans at rates far higher than their white counterparts.

This modern-day redlining persisted in 61 metro areas even when controlling for applicants' income, loan amount and neighborhood, according to millions of Home Mortgage Disclosure Act records analyzed by Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting.

Here's what Wells Fargo did from 2004 - 2009 and had to eventually pay for it:

The United States also alleges that, between 2004 and 2009, Wells Fargo discriminated by charging approximately 30,000 African-American and Hispanic wholesale borrowers higher fees and rates than non-Hispanic white borrowers because of their race or national origin rather than the borrowers’ credit worthiness or other objective criteria related to borrower risk.

Do you know how important being able to own a home in an area you desire is? Do you know the implications for when a certain group of people are denied this for decades? You have anything to say to this?

Last edited:
Brees is a class act.

People are hearing what they want to and polarizing racism unfortunately.

At this point I suspect Brees retires

I don’t know if the damage can be repaired. I’m also worried they may “forget” to protect him or he gets a cheap shot.

It’s not fair but it’s the way the world is now

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom